IGNORED

MG Senior Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 1324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone played the MG Senior Golf Ball?  It is non-conforming as it doesn't meet the USGA's allowable "initial velocity" standard. Please, let's not make this a thread of why would you play a non-conforming ball. But, limit the replies to who has played the ball - looking for comments like - it's a straight or firm ball or it truly adds distance and is fun to use etc - Cheers, SG

• Administrator

Because it's non-conforming, you won't find many people who have played it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can understand wanting a golf ball that suits a playing demographic, a course, or a condition.  There are many out there to choose from already down to the conforming Wilson Staff Duo rated F, D, or C to go along with their Tour ball as my memory serves me with low compression ratings.  The D, distance, compression rating is very low, under 30.  So, manufactures do understand and manufacture balls accordingly.  The Titielst Velocity is another good distance, straight flying ball.  

However, no matter what you engineer for, the golfer comes into play with his good and not so good swing characteristics that he's developed.  Balls that don't go far or straight is a result of the golfer. As we all know, if your a course rat, courses set the tees accordingly to age, skill level, handicap, etc, and even have super senior tees now.  This helps some golfers.  Then the elements factor in like that good old whistling wind I like to play in, and surfaces like my primary course with its full bent grass tee to green, deep tall fescue roughs, and tall native grasses, if you stay out of the ponds and lakes.  

So what ball to use becomes secondary, IMO, if you can't hit straight.  Does a better ball give you better misses, or bigger misses?

Edited by Hatchman

(edited)
36 minutes ago, Hatchman said:

I can understand wanting a golf ball that suits a playing demographic, a course, or a condition.  There are many out there to choose from already down to the conforming Wilson Staff Duo rated F, D, or C to go along with their Tour ball as my memory serves me with low compression ratings.  The D, distance, compression rating is very low, under 30.  So, manufactures do understand and manufacture balls accordingly.  The Titielst Velocity is another good distance, straight flying ball.  

However, no matter what you engineer for, the golfer comes into play with his good and not so good swing characteristics that he's developed.  Balls that don't go far or straight is a result of the golfer. As we all know, if your a course rat, courses set the tees accordingly to age, skill level, handicap, etc, and even have super senior tees now.  This helps some golfers.  Then the elements factor in like that good old whistling wind I like to play in, and surfaces like my primary course with its full bent grass tee to green, deep tall fescue roughs, and tall native grasses, if you stay out of the ponds and lakes.  

So what ball to use becomes secondary, IMO, if you can't hit straight.  Does a better ball give you better misses, or bigger misses?

Agreed, in the end it comes down to the ball strike and playing from the right tees, the same is true about clubs. I had my short love affair with urethane balls as I never spun the ball before. The first time that happened, man was that fun,. But, after a while as a high capper, the ball would check up too soon and I couldn't see the benefit. So, on occasion - there will be a fun factor. Not everything we do in golf is about lowering the score. So, the MG ball sounds appealing to have a little bit of fun. SG

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

Agreed.  The fun factor must be realized, and varies of course.  I probably practice more than I play now with having the opportunity and motives.  To stay OT re: balls, I have tried too many to count and now prefer just a few.  There are some I simply can't compress correctly for its intended user swing profile and see many on my home course overmatched.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I played with a guy that had them and he let me try one. Probably just me but they were actually shorter for me than the regular ball I was playing.

I tried it again another time and didn't see any real gains, although my one longest drive was with the MG Senior.

I doubt they were intentionally non-conforming. Rather I suspect some Asian mfr. had a  bad batch of other MG balls and simply offered to sell them cheap and re-branded to MG. Also suspect having a non-conforming batch at the mfr. level may not be that unusual, and the bad batch gets recycled. But all these are unconfirmed opinions, the product of my own cynicism. Would be nice to know, though, for curiosity's sake. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

They may have been intended to be conforming but when they were deemed too hot they just went with it. Most seniors aren't playing tournaments so who cares. If it helps them out some all the better. There's definitely a market for non conforming golf equipment. DTG has the Felon driver, balls and even a shaft. Even Wishon came out with a high COR head. Most golfers don't frequent golf forums.

BTW, I'm pretty sure a guy was playing them in a tournament I was in yesterday. He was a short hitter but I didn't ask.

On 6/5/2017 at 5:51 AM, garyt said:

They may have been intended to be conforming but when they were deemed too hot they just went with it. Most seniors aren't playing tournaments so who cares. If it helps them out some all the better. There's definitely a market for non conforming golf equipment. DTG has the Felon driver, balls and even a shaft. Even Wishon came out with a high COR head. Most golfers don't frequent golf forums.

BTW, I'm pretty sure a guy was playing them in a tournament I was in yesterday. He was a short hitter but I didn't ask.

I played them a few times now and didn't see much of a difference. They are a decent ball. If you like a yellow and firm ball, it could be a good choice at 20 a dozen. 

On June 5, 2017 at 5:51 AM, garyt said:

Who says seniors don't play tournaments?  I certainly do, as do most of my buddies.

Regardless of tournament play though, most serious golfers, regardless of age, still prefer to play by the rules...

...and those that don't, probably aren't spending a lot of time on a golf forum like this. ;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 3 weeks later...

Been awhile since I have visited this forum. I was trying to find out more info on the MG Senior ball and was directed here by Google, and another site I visit from time to time, MGS. I was there earlier and posted the following:

I found one sitting in the water a couple days ago. Having played the MG-C4 many times, thought I would give this one a try. The C-4 is a great ball. I am a regular ProV1 player. Always thought the C4 played quite similarly to the ProV. So, when I found this MG SENIOR, I was curious. I had not even heard of the Senior, so had no idea they were non-conforming.

Off the driver it was hard to tell for sure if it was longer (without a side-by-side comparison), but it certainly wasn't any shorter. It got out there. Could have been a few yards longer. The feel off the clubface was quite satisfying. However, the feel off my irons was even nicer. I normally hit my irons well for my advancing age, but using Titleist AP2-716 players irons, my distance is just average, maybe a touch longer than average for a 61-year old, 8 indexer. This Senior ball definitely added yardage to my irons on well-struck shots. I surprised myself a few times on shots that just rocketed off the clubface. There was a distinct feeling of awesome speed. I played it for 7 holes until I hit one so far with my 7 iron, it bounced one hop into a hazard 193 yards from where I hit it! I normally play my 7 iron to go about 150 yards. Granted, this shot was somewhat downhill from a lofty lie in the rough, but I was expecting no more than 170. 193 was unfathomable. Again, I did not realize these balls were non-conforming at the time. I just found out when I looked online to find a review on them.

Though I would like to mess around further with the MG SENIOR for fun, I don't want to get used to the longer distances I might get with them, particularly when I go back to my ProVs for my GHIN posting and tournament play. I will say though, I felt 10 years younger (and 4 index points lower) hitting the MG SENIOR for those 7 holes.

• 1 month later...

The MG Senior ball is 10 yards longer than the cheaper balls on the market.  I have a driver swing speed of 97 about feel the MG is nearly as long as the Pro-Vi or Chrome Soft

It is not a rock but does NOT have the feel or bit like the premium balls.  I simply play the MG for fun, when I move up to the senior tees, I  can sometimes hit the par 5's in 2, just like

50 years ago.   However, the leading golf balls are better overall, especially around the green and for putting    At 71, my handicap has edged up to a 12.5 from the white tees and I plan NEVER to use the MG Senior with by regular foursome or when $$$ is on the line.      

Edited by SuperFred
fixed a few words

I am 65 and would not use a non-conforming ball.  There is such a wide selection of conforming golf balls available that IMO add some distance for our slower swings.  Just a guess, but I suspect as others have said that MG bought a bunch of balls and they turned out to be non-conforming but are trying to sell them to seniors assuming many of us do not care. 

(edited)
8 hours ago, NJpatbee said:

I am 65 and would not use a non-conforming ball.  There is such a wide selection of conforming golf balls available that IMO add some distance for our slower swings.  Just a guess, but I suspect as others have said that MG bought a bunch of balls and they turned out to be non-conforming but are trying to sell them to seniors assuming many of us do not care. 

Good points, NJpatbee. As it turned out, MG sent me a ball to try. It was a hot and firm ball. But, no different than a super hot by Callaway. It does have a nice yellow color.

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

• 9 months later...
Note: This thread is 1324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!