IGNORED

Bombtech

jacobo
Note: This thread is 2657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do all of you guys think about Bombtech golf? I am tempted to get the driver because everyone and their sister can hit the ball 300 with it and as I have an older driver I am looking to upgrade. Can someone who has one or someone with knowledge about clubs and bombtech give me some advice? Also because they have irons, wedges, woods, and hybrids it gives the company more credibility to me at least so I'm not worried about it being a knock off

I dunno. There was lots of love when they came on to the scene, but it seems to have faded. Maybe @cipher or @Jakester23 can weigh in? I remember hearing really good things about the customer service, so you can probably try it out without too much risk. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If everyone, and their sister, could hit the ball 300 with it; everyone would be searching, desperately, for a club they could hit farther than their sister.  As that is not currently the case...the claim appears exaggerated.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Yes, they are original designs, and I guess a reasonable price, for what they are (at least at their discount prices, which are available right now, and often are). 

I wouldn't buy their marketing too much. A lot of it is nonsense. Don't expect their stuff to perform better than the major brands, certainly. But they are different, and for some they may be better. The driver has an unusually high COG compared to other modern drivers, probably a consequence of those cutaways underneath. For some, that may mean more spin and less distance. But perhaps for others, who need more spin or tend to hit high on the face, it might be good.

Ultimately what they are selling you is a cool look, the chance to be different and not follow the crowd, and performance probably about as good as what you are going to get from anything else in that price range (and it looks like you could just about fill out a bag for about $750 there).

My biggest complaint would be the inability to get custom fit clubs. You can chose a flex and loft for the driver, but not length. If you want it less than 45.5 inches, you probably have to take it to a fitter and have it cut down (though that's not that expensive to do anyway).

Edited by acerimusdux

53 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

I dunno. There was lots of love when they came on to the scene, but it seems to have faded. Maybe @cipher or @Jakester23 can weigh in? I remember hearing really good things about the customer service, so you can probably try it out without too much risk. 

Yeah it is a good club for the money.  Not as customizable as some.  Great customer service for sure.  Not a gimmick but also not going to make everyone hit it 300 either.

• Upvote 2

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Obviously the 300 claim was an exaggeration for effect but if you look at their group a lot of people report 20 yards more with the driver. I will take their comments with a grain of salt. Thank you @acerimusdux, your comment is exactly what I was looking for in posting this topic. 

https://www.mygolfspy.com/2015-most-wanted-driver-data/

This is data from a test of 20 golfers. It performed reasonably well there, but didn't stand out. Keep in mind, those models are mostly about 2 years old now.

If you're just looking for performance at a bargain price though, the one that most intrigues me there is the PowerBilt Air Force One (which has had it's own share of absurdly exaggerated marketing claims, apparently involving an infomercial).

The company that owned PowerBilt last year split off AFO as a separate company, which will continue making those clubs, but no longer carry the PowerBilt brand. Then they licensed the PowerBilt name to Hireko, who have started introducing some clubs under that name. Anyway, it appears last year's stock of AFO with the PowerBilt name is being cleared out right now at bargain prices.

9 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Yikes. Gotta be a cheap, made in China, knock-off. Look at the R and the N.  Lol. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I had a bombtech driver a few years ago, for me I didn't really like it at all, it wasn't as forgiving as everyone claims, on mishits it didn't go nearly as far as they claimed. I would suggest that you go get fit for a driver, that is what I did after wasting money trying different clubs that everyone claimed was the best driver ever. I ended up getting fit for a fly-z which I absolutely love, when I got fit it was between that and the g30, but this one out because it was longer on mishits then the g30 for me. 

Also the claims of this driver gives you 20 extra yards, that all the manufacturers claim is bs, the face of a club is what determines the ball speed if you hit it in the sweet spot. They all have to conform to the same usga rules, and those rules limit factors that cause the ball to go farther. The biggest thing about getting fit, is you will get the right shaft head combo for you, then once you get the driver that fits you, work on your swing.

• Upvote 1

When BombTeck first came out some years ago the owner set up a demo driver for the folks on the forum I was on then. The price was stupidly high then as well. The feed back from that demo test was so so. Some thought it was good others thought it was okay. I don't recall anyone saying they were getting an extra 20 yards or more. Later I saw feedback from other people who also tried a demo on other forums and the resultant info was, it was as good as most OEM drivers, but nothing spectacular. At the time the price was higher than most OEM drivers and certainly was not worth the extra cost. Today I have no clue how his new driver plays or whether or not it will give you what you are looking for in distance. But if you stop and think about even today the OEM drivers are pretty much the same as far as distance gains are concerned. Some are more forgiving and some may be longer if you need a low spin head. 

My suggestion is to avoid them. The wedges were total crap in terms of feel, and material quality.

If you play once or twice a year with buddies goofing off, have at it. If you're a golfer...no way man.

Another thought, if you like the theme and color scheme, and again are looking for a bargain, consider the Tour Edge Bazooka as an alternative:

http://www.touredge.com/products/bazooka460blackdriver.asp

That's not going to be the same quality as their Exotics line which is played by PGA Tour players, but if it's made by Tour Edge it's not going to be crap, either. And definitely seems designed with some forgiveness in mind for amateur golfers.

And I think you can go to their site, find a retailer or pro shop near you that carries Tour Edge, and order a customized club and they will deliver it to that location for you to pick up within 48 hours. All included in the price. Along with a lifetime warranty.

Or you can shop used for higher end lines, but it can be harder to find the right fit that way.

I think I am going to runaway from bombtech as fast as possible. I don't know why everyone in the Facebook group has to lie about it being so great I almost just wasted some money because of it

13 hours ago, jacobo said:

I will look into those drivers. Maybe can snipe one for cheap online 

2 minutes ago, jacobo said:

I think I am going to runaway from bombtech as fast as possible. I don't know why everyone in the Facebook group has to lie about it being so great I almost just wasted some money because of it

I'm curious: what changed your mind? (not being snarky, I'm actually wondering)

- John

@Hardspoon

Everyone here is saying that the clubs aren't as great as everyone says. While I know each person plays certain clubs better ot worse, it's what fits your game. I also trust the word of a non-bombtech affiliated site compared to the bombtech affiliated Facebook group. It almost seems like they are having people post this stuff? I know it's s rather lofty accusation but everyone here says it is horrible and everyone there says it is great. Also the comment about getting one cheap online was in reference to this

On 1/9/2017 at 11:30 PM, acerimusdux said:

https://www.mygolfspy.com/2015-most-wanted-driver-data/

This is data from a test of 20 golfers. It performed reasonably well there, but didn't stand out. Keep in mind, those models are mostly about 2 years old now.

If you're just looking for performance at a bargain price though, the one that most intrigues me there is the PowerBilt Air Force One (which has had it's own share of absurdly exaggerated marketing claims, apparently involving an infomercial).

The company that owned PowerBilt last year split off AFO as a separate company, which will continue making those clubs, but no longer carry the PowerBilt brand. Then they licensed the PowerBilt name to Hireko, who have started introducing some clubs under that name. Anyway, it appears last year's stock of AFO with the PowerBilt name is being cleared out right now at bargain prices.

Again thank you to all who has responded on here

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, jacobo said:

@Hardspoon

I know it's s rather lofty accusation but everyone here says it is horrible and everyone there says it is great.

Well "horrible" is probably going too far in the other direction.

This is a small company run by one guy who does most everything himself. And he managed to produce a driver that performs right alongside all those big company drivers. In that test I linked above, it actually did pretty well for people with under 100mph swings, finishing 10th in accuracy and 14th in distance of 28 drivers.

It also appears to be pretty well made, with a two piece investment cast construction, which probably a little more consistent manufacturing quality and tolerances than some cheaper bargain clubs. For those who paid $199 that probably wasn't a bad value.

But he's also managed to create a brand that has a distinct personality. Which also appeals to some, and is maybe even more an achievement. And there are a lot of people who prefer to deal with a small company like that, rather than the faceless major brands.

But that still doesn't give you that many options in terms of finding the right fit, which I think will probably do more for your performance than falling in love with any one brand. In terms of fit though, that club probably works best for slower swingers who might actually need a bit of spin, but  who aren't missing the center of the face too badly horizontally (heel to toe).

What fits you best though depends on your game and your budget.

Note: This thread is 2657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!