IGNORED

PGA Tour deletes tweet that says ams have no idea what they're doing

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am getting more than a little annoyed with the constant deleting of posts and apologizing for comments anymore. There have been plenty of times I've seen posts or articles by people that I found to be distasteful or offensive, but you know what I do? I move on.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Then why not leave it on twitter?

Interesting how taking it down just strengthens the controversy.

Just because it may have been an attempt at humor, doesn't mean that it was appropriate, or actually reflected the views of the organization itself.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 1/16/2017 at 8:21 PM, Pretzel said:

It seemed to be a joke, but I think they forgot that the vast majority of their audience would be at the butt end of it. I personally found it mildly funny, but I can see why others might not.

Well I can definitely see myself resembling that remark quite a bit, especially when I started. So in that sense it's worth a chuckle.

On the other hand, think about someone saying it on the tee in a foursome where all the other golfers were way better than you. I would take it okay if it a buddy said it. From a friend of a friend or a random pairing, I'd instantly consider the utterer a d^i#k.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

On 1/15/2017 at 3:17 PM, Abu3baid said:

Yeah, that will help remove the idea that golfers are elitist who think they are better than everyone else, especially the ones associated with the PGA.

The above post really just pissed me off, and I will never buy, participate, or defend the PGA in any way shape or form.  

If it wasn't for me actually liking golf I would quit if I thought it would do harm to the PGA financially.. unfortinatly it won't and I like golf.  But f*** them.

Yikes! A bit of an extreme reaction, don't you think? And all they really think is that they are better than amateur golfers, which they are!

If you've played any golf at all, you've been in that boat where you're stuck playing with someone who can't hit the ball out of their shadow. ProAm anybody? Every week these guys get stuck with a chicken farmer or gerbil rancher who can't play golf worth a crap, but they have lots of money that will go to the charity that the tournament supports.

I suppose the only reason the post was yanked was that some people just can't stand to hear the truth!

14 hours ago, David in FL said:

Just because it may have been an attempt at humor, doesn't mean that it was appropriate, or actually reflected the views of the organization itself.

Agreed. It's interesting how twitter is so thoroughly scrutinized and analyzed these days.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

Well I can definitely see myself resembling that remark quite a bit, especially when I started. So in that sense it's worth a chuckle.

On the other hand, think about someone saying it on the tee in a foursome where all the other golfers were way better than you. I would take it okay if it a buddy said it. From a friend of a friend or a random pairing, I'd instantly consider the utterer a d^i#k.

Like I said, I can understand why other people would be upset by it. I honestly would probably laugh if I was paired with a bunch of PGA guys and they said that joke, but I have a pretty self-deprecating sense of humor to begin with and that sort of thing doesn't bother me. For others with different senses of humor, I can see why it might be in poor taste.

41 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Like I said, I can understand why other people would be upset by it. I honestly would probably laugh if I was paired with a bunch of PGA guys and they said that joke, but I have a pretty self-deprecating sense of humor to begin with and that sort of thing doesn't bother me. For others with different senses of humor, I can see why it might be in poor taste.

I'd likely have a different response with PGA guys too...just excited to get to watch their games up close. But what if they started imitating and mocking your 'bad' swing or your pre-shot habits?

I get your point, but to me at least a lot depends on the intent / spirit behind it. Per the OP, when stuff is online it's often hard to tell that aspect, but in person context might give you a better read if it was just poking fun or mean-spirited.

Kevin

I think most golfers actually have a pretty darn good idea of what they're supposed do.  Whether that translates into actual results is a different story.  For example, I know I'm not supposed to hit lakes, bunkers, trees, houses, the parking lot, etc.  but somehow my ball always seems to find a way there.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

On 1/17/2017 at 7:58 PM, Pretzel said:

At this point, I wouldn't be offended at all even if they weren't joking.

Most of the people who could possibly get offended probably think they "got it" or are "close to getting it".

On 1/17/2017 at 8:43 PM, natureboy said:

I'd likely have a different response with PGA guys too...just excited to get to watch their games up close. But what if they started imitating and mocking your 'bad' swing or your pre-shot habits?

I get your point, but to me at least a lot depends on the intent / spirit behind it. Per the OP, when stuff is online it's often hard to tell that aspect, but in person context might give you a better read if it was just poking fun or mean-spirited.

Even if they started mocking my bad swing, it would probably be just so I can see what I'm doing. I'd actually like that so I can improve my swing.

As I improve, I get less offended by people telling me what I should do. I filter out the bad information and listen to the good.

Even if the spirit is "bad" or offensive, which I think you would never encounter, the end result is the same. They're showing me what I'm doing wrong. Usually other people can see what you're doing wrong, and if a PGA professional (or Tour pro) mocks my swing, that's fine.

2 hours ago, RichWW2 said:

I think most golfers actually have a pretty darn good idea of what they're supposed do.  Whether that translates into actual results is a different story.  For example, I know I'm not supposed to hit lakes, bunkers, trees, houses, the parking lot, etc.  but somehow my ball always seems to find a way there.

I'm not so sure about this. I swing much like the "dog surfing". I don't really understand every intricate detail and don't really put as much thought into every single shot.

For instance, when I'm watching a pro make a shot from behind a bush or something and making his practice swings. I think this guy needs to hook it and land about 120 yards to get it on the green near the pin. He looks like he's going to try to catch the toe with an open face, but by how much? How much swing should he put behind it to get around the bush and high enough to avoid the trees behind it? He makes a couple more practice swings to get the distance just right with his open faced PW. Then he's capable of executing that shot and ends up on the green where most amateurs are lucky to get it in two shots.

I would be trying to shape that same shot, I know because I am often in these types of situations, but my execution and knowledge of what kind of shots I can get are so much more limited than that of a pro.

These guys play for a living, I design robots for a living. I can't imagine how much more thought and understanding goes into their shots just like they likely don't have the same deep understanding of motion control or image processing that my colleagues or I do.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

29 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I'm not so sure about this. I swing much like the "dog surfing". I don't really understand every intricate detail and don't really put as much thought into every single shot.

For instance, when I'm watching a pro make a shot from behind a bush or something and making his practice swings. I think this guy needs to hook it and land about 120 yards to get it on the green near the pin. He looks like he's going to try to catch the toe with an open face, but by how much? How much swing should he put behind it to get around the bush and high enough to avoid the trees behind it? He makes a couple more practice swings to get the distance just right with his open faced PW. Then he's capable of executing that shot and ends up on the green where most amateurs are lucky to get it in two shots.

I would be trying to shape that same shot, I know because I am often in these types of situations, but my execution and knowledge of what kind of shots I can get are so much more limited than that of a pro.

These guys play for a living, I design robots for a living. I can't imagine how much more thought and understanding goes into their shots just like they likely don't have the same deep understanding of motion control or image processing that my colleagues or I do.

I was trying to make a joke about my poor play and you ruined it.  :-P

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

17 minutes ago, RichWW2 said:

I was trying to make a joke about my poor play and you ruined it.  :-P

Yeah, what you stated seemed kind of outrageous, but you never know on the internet. Sorry for ruining your joke. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

17 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I think way too many people are way too damn touchy these days!

Hey, what's THAT supposed to mean?

:-P

• Upvote 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

The dog knows he's having fun, so ya, I envy him sometimes...

• Upvote 1

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

On 1/25/2017 at 9:27 AM, RichWW2 said:

The questions is not that ams know what they are SUPPOSED  to do, it's if they know what they are doing! The latter half of your post indicates that you do not!

Hey, I'm no pro, but it's been a long, long time since I've done any of that stuff!

It does look like the dog is having fun, just like me on the golf course. I don't know what I'm doing, but (maybe) I'm having fun. I keep telling my self that, over and over, and over....

Note: This thread is 2646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!