IGNORED

FlightScope Mevo - Portable Launch Monitor for the Everyday Golfer

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

31 minutes ago, billchao said:

Interesting. Pretty sure the two ranges by me both use the 1-piece range ball (I know for a fact that one does because the end of the range borders on the 2nd hole). That means my range numbers won't be accurate? That's a bit of a bummer.

I mean it works fine on my net where I do most of my practicing anyway, but I'd like to hit actual targets when I start mapping partial wedges and stuff.

Yes, you use your Mevo already with Pro-V1 anyway. Those should be pretty accurate. Also, not every golf course uses 1pc balls. Only Srixon makes the 83 compression balls. There are other brands with limited flight balls, and they will stamp them with "Limited Flight", but they are even shorter. Not sure about the compression though. That might be close to the same?

In any case, it's not really that important for monitoring swing changes anyway. I'll probably start practicing on the course soon anyway, and bring the Mevo with me there. The range is probably finding a lot of metal stickers in their ball washing machines anyway. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, iacas said:

You can still use it for comparative data. If 1.36 is your best smash factor, that's still going to indicate a better strike than a 1.29. And so on.

But I wouldn't then upload that data. I'd just delete it after you were done.

Good point.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

It already is. :-)

Good, then it will be more acceptable when I Mevo :-) 

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

Yes, you use your Mevo already with Pro-V1 anyway. Those should be pretty accurate.

Yes, but I'm also limited to like 10' of flight.

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

I'll probably start practicing on the course soon anyway, and bring the Mevo with me there.

Have you tried this yet? Seems like it might be a PITA to set up for every shot.

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

The range is probably finding a lot of metal stickers in their ball washing machines anyway. :-D

This thought crossed my mind a while back. Some maintenance guy is probably pissed off that somebody keeps jamming up the matching with little metal dots :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, billchao said:

Have you tried this yet? Seems like it might be a PITA to set up for every shot.

I've done it. Not too bad. Just put your bag there and set it down.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

Not all shots, that's why I have Game Golf and Arcos.

My plan is to find a place where it looks like I can make 4 or 5 shots off the tee or wherever then "practice" on the course.

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

This thought crossed my mind a while back. Some maintenance guy is probably pissed off that somebody keeps jamming up the matching with little metal dots :-P

I was thinking the same thing. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I've done it. Not too bad. Just put your bag there and set it down.

Probably easier than setting up a camera since you don't need to be that precise about angles, but the software needs to sync up right. I had a bit of trouble with the app and Bluetooth connection dropping but it might not be an issue once I'm more familiar with it.

Would the Game Golf belt unit affect the Mevo? The manual says to keep electronic devices away from the target area.

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Not all shots, that's why I have Game Golf and Arcos.

You... have both? Why?

Actually I'm curious to see how the Mevo performs with GG. It will be interesting to see how much roll I'm getting on drives or even some approach shots, especially when I flight the ball (though some of this I already know based on the ball mark and where the ball ended up on the green).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

33 minutes ago, billchao said:

Probably easier than setting up a camera since you don't need to be that precise about angles, but the software needs to sync up right. I had a bit of trouble with the app and Bluetooth connection dropping but it might not be an issue once I'm more familiar with it.

Would the Game Golf belt unit affect the Mevo? The manual says to keep electronic devices away from the target area.

If I'm practicing on the course, I don't see myself using GG simultaneously. I suppose you could if you put the belt thing on your bag or something?

You... have both? Why?

I got the Arcos from someone and I login as him. He hated knowing how far he actually hits. :-D

Actually I'm curious to see how the Mevo performs with GG. It will be interesting to see how much roll I'm getting on drives or even some approach shots, especially when I flight the ball (though some of this I already know based on the ball mark and where the ball ended up on the green).

Mevo measures carry, so I guess it could come in handy to know your expected carry on any give hole?

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
3 hours ago, billchao said:

I don't think so.

3 hours ago, billchao said:

Remember the Mevo calculates the carry. So if you're downwind, or downhill, or whatever… the carry yardage will often be different than what's calculated.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 01/02/2018 at 1:17 AM, iacas said:

I don't think so.

@billchao - using with the GG device hasn't been an issue for me whatsoever.

@iacas - you'll be pleased that I've worked out the Mevo settings with my driver. Just need to be really precise with where it's aiming, the exact distance away from the ball it is and also the height it's at as I play off mats which are slightly raised. Balancing it on a glasses case seems to have worked - it's still over-egging the clubhead speed, but these are the sorts of shots I'd expect with range balls:

image.png

Now to nail that priority piece and then get back to working on launch angle! The geek in me is very happy with those spin numbers and deviations on just about everything though... 4 dead straight, 2 slight fades, one draw (which was what I was trying to play) and a shot off the crown that popped up a bit but would have still been just off fairway right.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• Administrator

To all, a note: a kid who has a Mevo I sold to his dad for Christmas was having trouble getting the numbers to come up right. He was setting it on a small tire to hit off elevated mats.

Thing is, the tire was rounded, and so the Mevo was pointing at not the same level as it expects to be pointed. There's no leveling feet - you get what you get - but try to make sure the Mevo is on relatively level ground.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question related to the Mevo and Game Golf equipment. If I could only save up for one of these which would be best for a high handicapper to spend his money on? 

1 minute ago, HJJ003 said:

Question related to the Mevo and Game Golf equipment. If I could only save up for one of these which would be best for a high handicapper to spend his money on? 

They are entirely different price brackets. GameGolf Live is around $85 on Amazon for the entire kit. A Mevo will be well over that.

I think GameGolf would be better for now, unless you already keep detailed stats on your own. Knowing where your weaknesses are will help you know what to attack and improve on.

• Informative 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

6 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Mevo. I love my GameGolf, but it doesn't give you anywhere near the feedback that Mevo does (and frankly, you can work out most of the GameGolf stuff yourself, just takes a bit more effort!). Plus, there's a free GG app.

Then again, depends how serious you are - Mevos aren't cheap!

Edited by b101
  • Informative 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

To all, a note: a kid who has a Mevo I sold to his dad for Christmas was having trouble getting the numbers to come up right. He was setting it on a small tire to hit off elevated mats.

Thing is, the tire was rounded, and so the Mevo was pointing at not the same level as it expects to be pointed. There's no leveling feet - you get what you get - but try to make sure the Mevo is on relatively level ground.

This is a very good point. I’ve tried all different setups and they all read a little bit differently based upon angles and placement.

In general, all my club head readings are within 1-2 mph, and relative to $10,000 to $25,000 machines give very consistent readings as well.

I’d like to note that the Mevo is a very accurate and repeatable unit if you set it up reasonably consistently every time you use it. My only complaint is it doesn’t do side to side like the XI+ which I might actually consider, once I’m done paying college tuition for 2 kids.

Very happy with Flightscope products and their excellent and patient customer support. My 2 cents.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Not off to a good start with this thing.  Arrived yesterday.  Using Samsung S8, able to pair bluetooth but it loses connection when 3 feet away.

What devices are you all using?  With my Android phone, the app (version 1.1.6) keeps crashing.  It will capture 1st swing, announce stat, then reliably crashes after that.  The mevo firmware is 1.8/0.08.  Is this the latest the rest of you have?

Tried the app on my iPad, but when I start the app and try to login, it gives me some error about not being able to contact flightscope.

The app reviews are, well, less than stellar.

24 minutes ago, daryln said:

Not off to a good start with this thing.  Arrived yesterday.  Using Samsung S8, able to pair bluetooth but it loses connection when 3 feet away.

What devices are you all using?  With my Android phone, the app (version 1.1.6) keeps crashing.  It will capture 1st swing, announce stat, then reliably crashes after that.  The mevo firmware is 1.8/0.08.  Is this the latest the rest of you have?

Tried the app on my iPad, but when I start the app and try to login, it gives me some error about not being able to contact flightscope.

I've had some small problems with Bluetooth reliability, but it's been fixed with an app or firmware update pretty quickly. I'm on an iPhone 6 Plus, but the app is version 1.3.1. Firmware is the version as yours. I've kept the phone to within about 5-10 feet of the Mevo without problems.

I would write into FlightScope support. They've been really responsive and helpful for me when I've had any issues with the Mevo.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

18 minutes ago, daryln said:

My maximum range is like 10 feet if there’s are a lot of Bluetooth devices nearby. 20 feet max.

i usually set my phone on an inverted bucked tight by the ball server, and place the Mevo 7 feet back or about 4 feet from my phone.

IPhone 6Splus, but it works with my son's iPhone 8 with a BLE chipset. I’d think it would work fine with a Galaxy 8 as well?

It disconnects a lot with my iPad mini. My phone is a lot more reliable.

However, I think Erik used one without any issues.

The application is pretty good once you get used to it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!