IGNORED

FlightScope Mevo - Portable Launch Monitor for the Everyday Golfer

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 1/28/2017 at 2:08 PM, iacas said:

For $500? Yeah.

Do you think it's possible those features are in there and might be unlocked for a fee in future versions?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Do you think it's possible those features are in there and might be unlocked for a fee in future versions?

It's $500. Trackman is $25-$30k. FlightScope X3 is $10k+.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Looks pretty cool.   I would love to have something like the real flightscope or gc2 or something but can't justify the $$ for something, essentially, to just play around with.  Smash and vertical launch angle could be useful stats.  Spin rate, too . .assuming the required metal dot is something fairly easy to deal with.  I definitely won't jump on it right when it comes out but if the feedback is positive it could be a potential x-mas gift.  

It would be amazing if somebody could come up with something good enough as well as cheap enough.  So far, this type of gear has been either too expensive, or not good enough to actually be useful.  This one seems kinda promising . .if it doesn't end up being that magic combo of good enough and cheap enough . .it certainly seems like a step in the right direction.      

On 1/30/2017 at 7:43 PM, nevets88 said:

I'd get one immediately but it's not something to be unlocked through a fee. Looks like limited hardware, of course, something you'd expect for something that is 1/50 from the real LM.

Data collected not so relevant to me and the data I want (face path, AOA) should increase the price point to at least 1K at this point in time. Hopefully we won't have to wait long but I'm seeing at least 1-2 years before something affordable can provide those KPI.

On 1/30/2017 at 2:19 PM, iacas said:

It's $500. Trackman is $25-$30k. FlightScope X3 is $10k+.

3 hours ago, ib0o0 said:

I'd get one immediately but it's not something to be unlocked through a fee. Looks like limited hardware, of course, something you'd expect for something that is 1/50 from the real LM.

Data collected not so relevant to me and the data I want (face path, AOA) should increase the price point to at least 1K at this point in time. Hopefully we won't have to wait long but I'm seeing at least 1-2 years before something affordable can provide those KPI.

Yeah, I realize I'm asking for a lot there (like the moon), I was wondering if the hardware was already in there to measure stuff like face and path so I guess not. There's no photo or video showing it in the context of other objects so curious as to its size, eventually we'll know.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Yeah, I realize I'm asking for a lot there (like the moon), I was wondering if the hardware was already in there to measure stuff like face and path so I guess not. There's no photo or video showing it in the context of other objects so curious as to its size, eventually we'll know.

The face is just calculated from the ball flight and the path.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 6 months later...

Review of the Mevo, comparing it with the X2. His background music gets annoying after a while and the camera keeps refocusing in the beginning portion of the video which is kind of annoying, too, so if you want the Cliffs Notes, the numbers produced by the Mevo are similar to the X2 and within the margin of error (except for driver club speed which Flightscope is addressing).

I was thinking of replacing a couple of wedges or my pull cart, but I might need someone to talk me off the ledge on this thing :whistle:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I bought one and its great for the range. You know can see what your shot does there but its tough to tell carry for me.  I have a 9 year old who is really good and I am crazy golf parent so I bought it more for him.  The biggest thing is carry and smash factor.  The carry is within a yard.  It also records spin, apex and smash factor.  My son goes thru drills and it reads out the numbers right on your cell phone via audio.  We no longer debate how well a ball was hit since the smash factor tells the story.  We work a lot on pitch shots which is where he needs the most improvement.  Its easy to tell he is hitting a wedge 100 yards when he hits it, but it trains you to feel what a 45 yard pitch shot feels like.  It compiles data so you can look back and see the apex, the spin and how consistent you are.  I know its a lot for a 9 year old but the kid shoots 67-75 from 5000 yards and loves the game.  IMMEDIATE improvement with this.  People at the range all want to get on it to see how far they hit driver.  Some bad shots come up with decent numbers but at the range you can see if you hooked it or sliced it so i don't mind that.  

• Informative 1

9 hours ago, danmcb26 said:

I bought one and its great for the range. You know can see what your shot does there but its tough to tell carry for me.  I have a 9 year old who is really good and I am crazy golf parent so I bought it more for him.  The biggest thing is carry and smash factor.  The carry is within a yard.  It also records spin, apex and smash factor.  My son goes thru drills and it reads out the numbers right on your cell phone via audio.  We no longer debate how well a ball was hit since the smash factor tells the story.  We work a lot on pitch shots which is where he needs the most improvement.  Its easy to tell he is hitting a wedge 100 yards when he hits it, but it trains you to feel what a 45 yard pitch shot feels like.  It compiles data so you can look back and see the apex, the spin and how consistent you are.  I know its a lot for a 9 year old but the kid shoots 67-75 from 5000 yards and loves the game.  IMMEDIATE improvement with this.  People at the range all want to get on it to see how far they hit driver.  Some bad shots come up with decent numbers but at the range you can see if you hooked it or sliced it so i don't mind that.  

Welcome to TST.   Thanks for sharing.   This information will help many decide before a purchase.   What is the distance required behind the ball to use the Mevo?   I'd like to use it in my garage.

Edited by dennyjones
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

18 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Welcome to TST.   Thanks for sharing.   This information will help many decide before a purchase.   What is the distance required behind the ball to use the Mevo?   I'd like to use it in my garage.

I've read from multiple sources that the optimal distance is 4'.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

13 hours ago, billchao said:

I've read from multiple sources that the optimal distance is 4'.

that is correct.  Also, you want to make sure you are on a flat surface. If you are hitting off a mat that is an inch or 2 off the ground, it won't work. I guess you could use it indoors, but IMO, this is for the driving range.  If you are chipping, it requires 8 ft of carry distance. I didnt really get into that, but that is another cool feature. I got turned onto this by a guy who my son competes against.  We did the US Kids world championship and the way he was warming up caught my attention.  He said to his son Tyler.....OK, lets hit 15 5 irons with a smash factor of at least 1.4.  The kid hit a few and the audio is calling out 140 carry, ball speed, and smash factor along with apex. It sells itself IMO.  Full disclosure......I am  gadget guy and have a garmin S6 and use a range finder.  But to me, this thing sells itself. Its not trackman or a high end launch monitor but it does give you accurate carry, trajectory, and is pretty close on club speed

• Informative 2

Each post I read gets me closer and closer to buying one.

Steve

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Each post I read gets me closer and closer to buying one.

Lol right? I don't need new wedges to cover my gaps better, I need numbers damnit! :-D

Bill

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

Lol right? I don't need new wedges to cover my gaps better, I need numbers damnit! :-D

I imagine going to the range with this and a tripod gonna look like big honkin' nerd. 

Steve

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I imagine going to the range with this and a tripod gonna look like big honkin' nerd. 

Nothing to worry about as you will be taking their money in future games. xD

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

negative.  It is smaller then my iphone 6+.  I set it up behind my son, and you can hardly see it.  I looks like a carrying case for my range finder.  

2 hours ago, danmcb26 said:

that is correct.  Also, you want to make sure you are on a flat surface. If you are hitting off a mat that is an inch or 2 off the ground, it won't work. I guess you could use it indoors, but IMO, this is for the driving range.  If you are chipping, it requires 8 ft of carry distance. I didnt really get into that, but that is another cool feature. I got turned onto this by a guy who my son competes against.  We did the US Kids world championship and the way he was warming up caught my attention.  He said to his son Tyler.....OK, lets hit 15 5 irons with a smash factor of at least 1.4.  The kid hit a few and the audio is calling out 140 carry, ball speed, and smash factor along with apex. It sells itself IMO.  Full disclosure......I am  gadget guy and have a garmin S6 and use a range finder.  But to me, this thing sells itself. Its not trackman or a high end launch monitor but it does give you accurate carry, trajectory, and is pretty close on club speed

I also have one and I like it a lot. 1 think I would mention is this, if you are not on flat ground you can bring the mevo up to level with the mat or whatever you are hitting off of, I hit off a mat in my backyard and this works fine. Also you need at least 8' to 10' of carry distance before the ball hits your net. 

For me I found that it is actually better on the mat, because you have to line up the mevo with the ball position or it will not read it. So if you take a divot its kind of a pita to keep moving the mevo.

2 hours ago, danmcb26 said:

Read more  

Huh, I never even thought to use this for distance and finesse wedges. Slowly talking myself into it. 

27 minutes ago, danmcb26 said:

negative.  It is smaller then my iphone 6+.  I set it up behind my son, and you can hardly see it.  I looks like a carrying case for my range finder.

Ah, I see from the video it's small. The ads I saw before there was nothing next to it so no sense of scale.

27 minutes ago, ib0o0 said:

Nothing to worry about as you will be taking their money in future games. xD

Mevo, the training aid that pays for itself. :-P

Steve

Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!