IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge February 2017

iacas
Note: This thread is 2614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2/23 - So I'm putting these two video clips here because:

1. they are my first ever attempt at filming my swing & making a youtube video, so in a sense this was good practice for something that will hopefully better my game

2. because these are my first attempts, the quality is too poor (too dark, too far away, and done in my driveway with no actual ball flight to observe) to start an actual MySwing thread

I have had only one formal lesson in my life about 15 years ago, so I'm sure I have a tons of swing flaws. TBH, I fear the amount critiques I'll get, but I do want to establish my priority piece. I will say that I learned a lot just by watching my swing video - I have quite a bit lateral movement in the FO view. Pretty sure this is bad since I don't see good golfers doing it, but I've really worked on accentuating my forward weight shift over the past few months...maybe to the point of shifting back too far just to get the shift forward. I guess when I get a better set of videos done and start a MySwing thread, I will find out!

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 min

sklz swing trainer

7 iron,

• right hand only, swing thru

• stop at the top and swing thru

• pump drill

• full swing

Repeat with driver

15min  at range warming up with many clubs prior to round. Tried to get a feel something simple to get me making contact with some vague resemblance to what I've been practicing.  Noticed I was hitting my 7iron 5-10yds longer than last year. Driver carrying 10-20yds longer. 

Played 18 but mixed success with consistency. When I struck it well, I could feel the new swing path getting more power and squaring up easily.

Just too frequently pulled left hooks which hurt my score. If I can gain consistency, then all the work over the winter should yield some better scores than the last couple years. Distances are noticeably better- and I feel like I'm swinging easier  

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

2/22: 5 minutes of slow swings then about 5 minutes of full shots for fun. Maybe not moving my head as much as I thought, could just be the rotation and what my eyes see but still need video to verify.

Then more pitching practice! Maybe it's overkill, but something was different the last round I played. When I get close to the green, unless it's obvious from the cart I grab both my PW (chip) and 56o (pitch) and decide when I get to the ball. Anything tight normally gets the PW. Except this time, every time I looked at the ball I instantly thought, "oh yeah, I can pitch that". I don't think I chose the PW once and never hit a bad shot. I like the confidence, so I'm keeping up the practice in hopes of keeping it. :-)

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

22/2/17 - range session. Really tried to work on even weight and takeaway. Successful at about 40% but not much more...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

2/23 - I misdated yesterday's posts; this morning I did some kettle bell swings with focus on steady head; watching yesterday's video posts, I had added point of focus on less lateral movement to right in backswing.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

2/23 - 15 minutes mirror work focusing on float load feel and Key 3. Followed by 15 minutes hitting foam balls into a net at half speed using the mirror.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 minutes in front of a mirror working on P2 and building into P3

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

2/23: An hour at the range, working on my assignment from instructor. Unable to execute this time (was hopeful), so will continue on with the home drills until I can pull it off. Feels like I'm close, but just need to get my act together on the range and not choke.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

2/23: Feeling encouraged. I think I've got the (worse than usual) weight-shift/head movement mystery solved, or at least "identified" with a much better understanding of it (and a confirmation that it's always been there :whistle:).

Getting better at the process I think...(1) noticing a problem but not knowing the why, (2) Slowing down and checking keys 1-3, and (3) "going back to my first lesson" so to speak by reviewing old video and my swing posts, and slowly "backing up" from the problem to try and identify the (chain of) cause(s).

Today's practice: 10 minutes of good ol' wall drill, with original focus of getting my right hip away from the wall but with added attention paid to my upper body and (actually getting some) secondary axis tilt. Several slow and medium-speed reps of this pausing for feel and thinking about and practicing how I'd transition into the downswing.

Then 6-8 minutes outside... Just two "reps" of 3-4 minutes slow-motion back- and downswings (hip, axis tilt, weight shift (and resulting proper better club path ;-)) and then an easy-swing full shot with my 56o. So I only hit two shots and both were perfect, high draws.

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

2/24 - 45 minutes hitting into a net. Focused on float load feel at transition and Key 3 from my Evolvr lesson. Also did some pitching work.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2/24: TWO hours at the range. Lots of video review, slow motion swings. Tried to meet the goal for my instructor for swing path/steepness, but still elusive. Back to the foyer and try again next week at the range. What weather here! 70s.

My Swing

2/24 - chipping whiffle balls down the hallway at the office; focus on straight ball flight (vs pulling it).

-Jonny

I hit 3 1/2 large buckets today working mostly with irons and timing, and proper turn. I have been working with my re-shafted Mizuno 900 forged and am getting more and more consistent and a lot more distance turning correctly. I feel like I am making progress. 

Note: This thread is 2614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!