IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge February 2017

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 2574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

5 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

2/27 - Β kettle bell swings for balanced, forward weight shift with focus on steady head

plus shoulder therapyΒ 

Β 

Good to see your shoulder must be doing ok if you can do those kinds of kettle bell swings! Not sure I could even put that much force into it.Β Very cool.

Hey, just thought I'd mention that to my eye, your knees look a tad pinched in (even though your feet are flared out). Ignore if I'm wrong or if you know all about that, and that this exercise is different than your golf swingΒ (you are the medical guy after all and you know better on exercise form than I, I'm sure!).Β Just thought I'd point it out in case it helps and maybe confirm with this thread as to how the knees (with the feet) might point a bit more outward at address:

Update: To clarify, I just see a bit more of the left pic with the kneesΒ than the right pic:

4cef7a27_Footflare1.jpeg

As for my drills, just slow motion swings in the mirror, watching club path- keeping an eye on left wrist, right elbow, and the initial transition to get the club falling back behind me.

Β 

My Swing

Driver:Β :ping:Β G30, Irons:Β :tmade:Β Burner 2.0, Putter:Β :cleveland:, Balls:Β :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2/27 - Mirror work at the gym. Focused on float load feel at transition.

PM - spent about 40 minutes hitting into my net. Β Worked on flattening the shaft during transition and Key 3 work for about 15 minutes. Then pitching and 1/2 and 3/4 swings. The pitching was in the yard off grass.Β 

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, RandallT said:

Good to see your shoulder must be doing ok if you can do those kinds of kettle bell swings! Not sure I could even put that much force into it.Β Very cool.

Hey, just thought I'd mention that to my eye, your knees look a tad pinched in (even though your feet are flared out).

Update: To clarify, I just see a bit more of the left pic with the kneesΒ than the right pic:

4cef7a27_Footflare1.jpeg

As for my drills, just slow motion swings in the mirror, watching club path- keeping an eye on left wrist, right elbow, and the initial transition to get the club falling back behind me.

Β 

shoulder is better than pre-surgery. Yes - you are correct about my knees being closer together, which has been intentional.Β I started flaring my feel out per the recommendation of the Swing ThoughtsΒ threads, but I have recently started to pinch my kneesΒ as I found it helps me achieve 5SK #1 (steady head)...I suspect because it helps to center my mass. If this is problematic, I'm more than willing to try new techniques. Without turning this into my swing thread, please feel free to offer up advice/suggestions via PM. I will have time to review those thread you embedded later today (busy this morning!). Thanks for the help - I need all I can get! I really appreciate it :beer:

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

please feel free to offer up advice/suggestions via PM. I will have time to review those thread you embedded later today (busy this morning!).

Ok! I rarely am presumptuous enough to offer advice- so this was a moment of weakness for me. Β :-)

I was mainly curious because I feel like I'd seen your swing before and thought this might be a new intentional thing you were doing. And great vid to see the shoulder slinging around that weight.

Ok back to the topic!Β 

My Swing

Driver:Β :ping:Β G30, Irons:Β :tmade:Β Burner 2.0, Putter:Β :cleveland:, Balls:Β :snell:

14 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

2/27 - Β kettle bell swings for balanced, forward weight shift with focus on steady head

plus shoulder therapyΒ 

Β 

So that's what kettle bell swings are!!!! Thanks for posting the video.

1 minute ago, Mico said:

So that's what kettle bell swings are!!!! Thanks for posting the video.

That's my version anyways - I think it accomplishes the spirit of the exercise

• Upvote 1

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

25 min. Sklz swing trainer, followed by sequence of 7 iron and then driver:

1. Stop at the top

2. Pump drill for lag

3. Step drill for weight transfer

4. Full swings

worked at it a little harder because I would inside-out swing to last beyond third hole next time!

2/27: Walked 9 today, shot 6 over with 4 pars.

23 hours ago, roamin said:

2/26: Worked on clubface control this afternoon. I set up an alignment stick about 20 feet out and hit 50 shots with my pitching wedgeΒ usingΒ short swings and slow enough to make sure I started the ballΒ at the stick, either straight or with a tiny draw.

Heh. Even though I was using short swings, I thought I was practicing this forΒ my full swing. Little did I know I'd have three ~40 yard shots today that this was perfect for. I hit twoΒ to within 6 feet and made par on all three holes.

23 hours ago, roamin said:

Later in the evening I hit 50 easy (50-75%) shots with my sand-wedge, normal awareness of hip-turn and balance, but focus onΒ smooth transition and "letting the club do the work" as my dad says. I really like the ball striking with this drill. Maximum power with minimum effort, and very consistent ball flight.

Okay, so I didn't mention this yesterday because I wanted to see how today went, but I think I'm going to quit fighting the fade and just accept it.Β I know, I know. I've read all of my past posts, too. Hard to explain. :-PΒ But this drill (and a second reading of LSW) made me try it on the range, the range made me try it on the course, and the results there will make me try it next time.Β :content:

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My SwingΒ | Course VlogsΒ | Favorite PostΒ |Β Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

2/28 - only slept for 2 hours, woke up and couldn't go back to sleep so I got into the gym a little earlier than normal.

In addition to my kettle bell swings and regularly workout exercises, one of my usualΒ shoulder stretches is on this apparatus. I have a really hard maintaining a straight left arm when coming higher than 9-9:30 due to anterior impingement (lack of joint space) and posterior capsule tightness, but with the recent osteophyteΒ takedown and capsular release, I'm hoping I will gain some ability to flex higher than 90-95* on my backswing while maintaining a straight left elbow.

IMG_4172.JPG.a88c52508e7dee5fa88373d543584da2.JPG

Passively, with setting my arm on the apparatus, then putting downward pressure on it with my body, I can get it...but IΒ struggle achieving that during the golf swing. It's a work in progress.

Since my one missed day last month was excused, this makes 8 straight months of completing the 5 min challenge.

• Upvote 1

Β 

Β -Jonny

18 hours ago, RandallT said:

...Hey, just thought I'd mention that to my eye, your knees look a tad pinched in (even though your feet are flared out). Just thought I'd point it out in case it helps and maybe confirm with this thread as to how the knees (with the feet) might point a bit more outward at address:

4cef7a27_Footflare1.jpeg

@RandallT, so I took the plunge and started a My Swing Thread this morning, and at your suggestion I sought to correct my "knee pinching" stance. I thinkΒ it looksΒ better this morningΒ 

Β 

• Upvote 1

Β 

Β -Jonny

2/28 - Mirror work at the gym. Focused on Key 3 work. I may to some backyard range work later if time allows.

I completed a second month in a row of daily practice.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just started doing this last night, with the intention of trying this throughout March. So, 2/27 - did mirror work, working on my address position and my takeaway to A2, keeping the club face inside my hands from a DTL view.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

Another good range session working on shallowing the club in downswing using hips to start transition. Hoping to get the badge next month and remember to post every day!

Β 

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag:Β Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

2/28: 10 minutes backswing and transition. Feeling good about club falling behind slow speed.Β 

No award for me this month due to a few days missed. Back at it in March!

Β 

My Swing

one month of 5 min or practice per day

Β 

20 min

sklz swing trainer

7 iron and the driver

1. Stop at the top

2. Pump drill

3. Full swings

4. Step thru swings

5. Full swings

can feel lag and whip action much more now. One piece back and thru and right as I get horizontal club turns thru hitting zone with a whoosh. Hope I can get and hold this swing on the course

one month of 5 min or practice per day

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 2574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!