IGNORED

How to Perform a Golf Swing Like a PGA Tour Golfer

DownAndOut
Note: This thread is 2582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've read a number of his articles. There's no way I'm going to watch those videos. Seven hours of my time would be far better spent working on my priority piece rather than watching videos to learn how to swing like a PGA Tour golfer, whatever that means.

Seriously, which PGA tour golfer? Tiger? Furyk? Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan, DJ, Floyd, Price, Duval, Singh, Stadler? You get my point right?

20 hours ago, DownAndOut said:

Imho , its pretty good but will not really help the recreational golfer who isn't concerned with mechanical swing thoughts. A good starting point for golf academics who want to learn more about the nuts and bolts of a full body golf swing.

I don't see that as a compliment. Too many people (high handicaps especially) tend to get too much into the academics of swing theory instead of just working to get better, IMO.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don't see that as a compliment. Too many people (high handicaps especially) tend to get too much into the academics of swing theory instead of just working to get better, IMO.

Yup.

There is not really a mystery.

You pick the right priority piece, and then you work HARD at it. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

The laser thing is kinda pointless.

Imagine at some point in the backswing that my hands are directly over the ball (or the target line), the shaft is completely vertical, and so the laser points at the target line. Is that a good position to be in?

No. Not even close.

But the laser will be pointing at the target line…

@DownAndOut, if you want to learn about the golf swing, there are a thousand better ways to do it than watching that crap. Like… perusing threads here. Asking questions. Poking around the Internet.

I don't suggest watching videos like that, then. I suggest finding a good instructor to guide you along the path.

Thanks for the advise.  I'm seeing an instructor tonight.  Also,  I had a typo in my last post.  It should have said regarding my swing being on plane (which I am NOT).  I am NOT on plane.  After watching many videos,  here is what I have found I am doing wrong...

1) over the top (chicken wing swing)

2) left wrist bows then breaks at release 

3) hips open way too fast

4) casting 

These are things only I have notices.  Can't wait to see what he says tonight after the video.  

Edited by PingLuvR

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

The laser thing is kinda pointless.

Isn't this something that Martin Hall suggested (didn't he start promoting that smartstick)?

2 hours ago, PingLuvR said:

Thanks for the advise.  I'm seeing an instructor tonight.  Also,  I had a typo in my last post.  It should have said regarding my swing being on plane (which I am NOT).  I am NOT on plane.  After watching many videos,  here is what I have found I am doing wrong...

1) over the top (chicken wing swing)

2) left wrist bows then breaks at release 

3) hips open way too fast

4) casting 

These are things only I have notices.  Can't wait to see what he says tonight after the video.  

Good luck with your lessons. Will be interesting to see your before and after videos of your swing.

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, DownAndOut said:

Isn't this something that Martin Hall suggested (didn't he start promoting that smartstick)?

It's something a lot of people have done.

But there are an infinite number of planes that will point a laser at a line. Only a small range of those are good planes on which to swing a golf club.

And, if you make contact with the ball, your club was "on a plane" (that intersects the golf ball) at some point.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just got back from the video session.  Not nearly as bad as I thought.  2 major flaws.  At the top of my backswing,  I have about a 4" hitch when starting the downswing.  Its an over the top hitch.  The second is flaw is,  my hips arent rotating enough on the follow through.  My take a way is good,  my release is decent.  All in all,  he said it is very workable.  But then again,  what's he going to say....."you suck,  you should probably quit golf". Haha.  I'm going to buy a 10 session package.  Once per week and see where it gets me. 

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

Just got back from the video session.  Not nearly as bad as I thought.  2 major flaws.  At the top of my backswing,  I have about a 4" hitch when starting the downswing.  Its an over the top hitch.  The second is flaw is,  my hips arent rotating enough on the follow through.  My take a way is good,  my release is decent.  All in all,  he said it is very workable.  But then again,  what's he going to say....."you suck,  you should probably quit golf". Haha.  I'm going to buy a 10 session package.  Once per week and see where it gets me. 

This is wandering further off topic, but…

Good luck.

I see Jeff still hasn't graduated from the mini golf club yet.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:58 PM, DownAndOut said:

2. Swinging On Plane (ie, through mostly different inclined planes) - ensuring the 2 ends of the club trace the base plane line while moving through these different inclined planes

This is a big one that a lot of people don't seem to get. Most good players are a little "steep" on the backswing, (laser would point inside the ball) and shallow on the downswing (laser points at or outside the ball). Then you have someone like Phil who is the opposite. 

Point is very few players are tracing the base line back and down and there are much more important things to focus on. I can trace baseline and still make a crappy swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

@iacas Isn't it true that if the swing was an "inside-out" path, an "on-plane" downswing would actually point the laser "outside" the target line, as opposed to pointing at it? 

On 2/12/2017 at 4:38 PM, DownAndOut said:

I know @iacas doesn't particularly rate Dr Jeff Mann but has anyone had the time to see his new videos on You Tube  (over 6.5 hrs long in total for the 7 videos) ? If yes, what do people think of his assertions? 

How can you stand it? When I see a YouTube video on golf that doesn't show a club moving within under a minute I have to switch it off. That much lecture makes sense for a class on history or law maybe....

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

6 hours ago, mvmac said:

Point is very few players are tracing the base line back and down and there are much more important things to focus on. I can trace baseline and still make a crappy swing.

I've never actually tested my swing out to see if it traced the base plane line. I know that Homer Kelley said you need to control the clubshaft, clubhead and clubface. This 'tracing the line' business seems to be something to do with controlling/getting the clubshaft 'On Plane' . So that is 1 of 3  things that must be controlled and (as you've said) will not guarantee a good strike. 

Edited by DownAndOut

• Administrator
6 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

@iacas Isn't it true that if the swing was an "inside-out" path, an "on-plane" downswing would actually point the laser "outside" the target line, as opposed to pointing at it? 

When?

Generally speaking, sure. But you can create a situation where the laser would point inside the line and the club's path would still be outward at the time of impact.

Wow, this is a blast from the past. Good ol' Jeff Mann. I, on occasion, have wondered what he is up to. What is funny about Jeff is initially he disagrees with everything. He even did that with TGM. He got into massive arguments about how wrong TGM is. Then, months later he was quoting it like gospel. And like any religious fanatic he went overboard with it. 

I never had any problem with him. As @iacas said he is wrong, often, actually almost all the time. Even you show him he's wrong, he still won't accept it. This disregard for accepting he's wrong has gotten him kicked off every forum in golf. He even kinda got kicked off his own forum for a while. Then he scared everyone away and started posting to himself. He has tried online lessons which I think a few people took him up on. Probably they got lost in the details of his brain never to be found again.

His videos are bound to be a waste. I think people watch because there free. If he tried to charge no would pay. To get 7 straight hours from any other instructor would cost you in the hundreds of dollars. Because this is mostly useless info or too challenging to figure out he should pay us for the time.

@DownAndOut if you like what he says you should contact him. I am sure he would give you a internet lesson for free if you told him you watched his videos twice. He was always excited to help another golfer.

Michael

7 hours ago, mchepp said:

As @iacas said he is wrong, often, actually almost all the time. Even you show him he's wrong, he still won't accept it

@DownAndOut if you like what he says you should contact him. I am sure he would give you a internet lesson for free if you told him you watched his videos twice. He was always excited to help another golfer.

I'm not interested in him as a golf instructor but I do like listening/reading different opinions on golf mechanics/biomechanics.

You've now got me wondering what he was getting wrong? Is it because he is still quoting TGM stuff that may be outdated and superceded by newer analyses/data?

PS. I think he got into trouble for rubbishing Lynn Blakes 'Secret of Golf'  and that wet mop idea. Lynn Blake said you had to feel some PP3  pressure point throughout the swing but Mann said that was incorrect because of the forward flex of the clubshaft (if you looked at images of the club bend using a high speed camera).

Edited by DownAndOut

After watching a couple of the videos, and numerous YouTube videos,  and after my golf swing analysis,  I am starting to get the feel of what my golf swing should look and feel like.  Instead of the over the top downswing,  I have been practicing going straight down on the same plane as I went up.  It definitely feel different,  but it also feels like there's less moving parts.  I think im on to something lol.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

I have been practicing swinging the club in front of the mirror and watching tons of videos,  so I decided to test it out.  Didn't have a lot of time,  but took 3 balls out back and a 7 iron.  I hit all 3 straight, high and far and they all felt great.  Am I on to something?  Man, I hope so.  First lesson is tomorrow night.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

On 2/13/2017 at 9:45 PM, billchao said:

I've read a number of his articles. There's no way I'm going to watch those videos. Seven hours of my time would be far better spent working on my priority piece rather than watching videos to learn how to swing like a PGA Tour golfer, whatever that means.

Seriously, which PGA tour golfer? Tiger? Furyk? Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan, DJ, Floyd, Price, Duval, Singh, Stadler? You get my point right?

Well I've managed to view all the videos a third time and I know for certain I cannot perform the swing because I just don't have the flexibility. Dr Mann mentioned in these videos  that he personally has virtually zero pelvic/torso separation (ie, his hips/spine/shoulders turn together almost immediately) and has to find another way (just like me). If a high handicapper was aware of the specific movement necessities required to conduct a particular swing instruction ,and was aware of his/her own inabilities to make that move, wouldn't that save him/her a great deal of wasted time and effort practicing on the wrong moves (that didn't fit their body)? 

I'm getting closer to identifying my own biomechanical pattern and its definitely going to make it easier for me to pick and choose what type of swing fits me which will not break down in the long term.

So it looks like I have 2  swing styles that would fit me because I have difficulty doing a fluent active pivot and keeping my left arm straight.

Arm swing (body reacts) - 'tail swings the dog' :

1. Left arm - muscle contraction of left shoulder girdle muscles with a reactive pivot

2. Right arm throwing action with reactive pivot.

When I attempt to use an active body pivot to power my arms , my left arm bends, the swing does not feel strain free and my direction is poor (especially with the woods).My distance is superior to techniques 1 and 2 but what's the point if my direction is so inconsistent that the ball gets sent out of bounds or off the fairway into rough/hazards.

Its strange because I used to do point 1  (the Lesley King technique) and played quite well , but dumped it because I wanted extra distance. I should have stuck and improved on it 15 years ago but started listening to Leadbetter theories (dog wags the tail ) which was obviously wrong for my inflexible body.

Edited by DownAndOut

• Administrator
8 hours ago, PingLuvR said:

I have been practicing swinging the club in front of the mirror and watching tons of videos,  so I decided to test it out.  Didn't have a lot of time,  but took 3 balls out back and a 7 iron.  I hit all 3 straight, high and far and they all felt great.  Am I on to something?  Man, I hope so.  First lesson is tomorrow night.  

It's unlikely you've really changed much in a few days.

Note: This thread is 2582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!