IGNORED

Modernized Rules Discussion: Ball in Motion

iacas
Note: This thread is 2583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

This is for the discussion of this portion of the new Modernized Rules.

Ball in Motion

Ball in Motion Accidentally Deflected

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned this topic

Hard to disagree with this one.  Unless you're a sadist. 

Edited by dsc123

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• Administrator

This one's totally fine by me. Plus sometimes you don't even know if it touched you.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I feel bad for all the players that have never had the pleasure of bouncing a ball off some part of their body and incurring a penalty. Ha, ha, ha!

Brian Kuehn

I'm just starting to dig into the Rules stuff now, so I'm starting with the easy ones...this seems like exactly the kind of thing that simplification of the rules should entail.

t eliminates an unnecessary distinction, without really affecting play.

- John

• Administrator

This applies to double-hitting the ball too, no?

They were saying on Morning Drive today that this would still be a penalty. I haven't read through this part of the PDF yet, but it says "you or your equipment" in the link in the first post, so… Double hits also seem to be exempt (no penalty), no?

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

They were saying on Morning Drive today that this would still be a penalty. I haven't read through this part of the PDF yet, but it says "you or your equipment" in the link in the first post, so… Double hits also seem to be exempt (no penalty), no?

Capture.JPG

Depends how you read the sentence...I read it differently than you.  I think "or any of their equipment" only applies to the last part after the comma ("the opponent or any other player").

So, the list of things that don't result in a penalty:

• hits the player
  • hits the opponent
  • hits any other player
  • hits the equipment of an opponent or any other player

They'd need to clarify the language on this one...but I think the intent was only to add "the player" to the list of things, not equipment.  I'm not sure, but that's my impression.

• Upvote 1

- John

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

They'd need to clarify the language on this one...but I think the intent was only to add "the player" to the list of things, not equipment.

Yeah, I think they mean the equipment to mean not your own.

So double-hitting would still be a penalty, I guess.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

I hope not. You double hit, it should count. I bit of clarification on the wording would help eliminate the confusion.

Of course, if it was the opposite, it would open up trick shots as a single stroke shot! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Perhaps the difference is your club hits the ball rather than the ball hits the club.  Still, I have heard several people bring up the "double hit" scenario so the Rule will need to address that specific situation.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Perhaps the difference is your club hits the ball rather than the ball hits the club.  Still, I have heard several people bring up the "double hit" scenario so the Rule will need to address that specific situation.

Rule 11 is vague, I agree. I haven't read through all of the new proposed rules in the PDF yet, but unless this is covered elsewhere, the rules seem to read as if this is no penalty.

Which would be somewhat consistent - why would you not penalize for a ball hitting you in the arm, but penalize for a ball hitting the clubhead twice? Would you ever try to hit a moving ball intentionally after you'd already hit it? Because if so, then even 11.2a applies (though 11.2a seems like it could use some clarification too: does "touching" the ball mean with the clubhead or shaft of the club you're swinging?).

I'm ok with this too, but also agree that a double hit should still be a penalty.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I'm ok with this too, but also agree that a double hit should still be a penalty.

Why?

Why should it matter if the ball hits your hand or the shaft of the club two inches away from your hand? What's the difference between the clubhead hitting the ball again on the follow-through or the ball bouncing off a bunker lip into your chest?

It's not like the double-hit is intentional and it puts the player's ball in a better spot - often it's much worse.

Of course, if you intentionally deflect the ball, that's still a penalty.

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why?

Why should it matter if the ball hits your hand or the shaft of the club two inches away from your hand? What's the difference between the clubhead hitting the ball again on the follow-through or the ball bouncing off a bunker lip into your chest?

It's not like the double-hit is intentional and it puts the player's ball in a better spot - often it's much worse.

Of course, if you intentionally deflect the ball, that's still a penalty.

Because while there are exceptions, in the vast majority of double hits, the player benefits.  It usually happens with a bit of a chunk, and the follow through catches up to the ball and advances it significantly. 

I think someone on Morning Drive commented, tongue-in-cheek, that a shot that bad should be penalized regardless!  :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Because while there are exceptions, in the vast majority of double hits, the player benefits.  It usually happens with a bit of a chunk, and the follow through catches up to the ball and advances it significantly. 

I don't think you have any real evidence of any of that.

I only have a few experiences. Of the maybe five double hits I've seen, at least one guy double-hit his ball into a water hazard (it deflected off the hosel straight left), one guy bladed it over the green IIRC, and the others I don't even remember - they aren't significant and don't stand out in my mind as being good.

And that's maybe four over 20+ years of golf.

I remember an LPGA Tour player a few years ago that wasn't even sure if she double-hit the ball. I think she was on the back side in the thick grass over a bunker or something.

I've double hit 2 or 3 times, and I guarantee that it didn't result in a better shot.  I ended up badly and then had to take the insult of a penalty stroke on top of it.  A penalty for a double hit is completely unwarranted in my opinion.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 2583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!