IGNORED

This is what a grenade buried under a green looks like

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Literally, fire in the hole! Not sure if my danger radar would pick this up right away if it was me.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is a perfect rock to throw in the middle of a lake.  It would be hot potato-like hands action once I pick it up tho.  Get it and throw fast... haha

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

7 minutes ago, phillyk said:

This is a perfect rock to throw in the middle of a lake.  It would be hot potato-like hands action once I pick it up tho.  Get it and throw fast... haha

That's one way to catch some fish. :-P

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That's one way to catch some fish. :-P

Catch or blow up?  Get some fish nuggets. :-D

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Looks like a body only.  No detonator.  My best guess, an older, inert M61 practice grenade. Vietnam era.  Modern M67's are much more spherical.

Editted to add that I just read the whole post.  More likely a WWII pineapple.  Has to be the old Awase Meadows course on Okinawa.  I played that course dozens of times back in the late 80's.  Always a "blast"!  :-D

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

That looks better than the Grenade driver.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

6 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Somebody must have made a quad on that hole...

Yeah, it was definitely a blow up hole for them.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

19 hours ago, David in FL said:

Looks like a body only.  No detonator.  My best guess, an older, inert M61 practice grenade. Vietnam era.  Modern M67's are much more spherical.

Editted to add that I just read the whole post.  More likely a WWII pineapple.  Has to be the old Awase Meadows course on Okinawa.  I played that course dozens of times back in the late 80's.  Always a "blast"!  :-D

How likely is it live? How does bomb disposal defuse it?

Steve

19 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

How likely is it live? How does bomb disposal defuse it?

You're looking at the top of the grenade where the striker assembly and fuse would have screwed into the grenade.  It has no fuse now, that's why I thought it might be an inert dummy grenade.  That still could be the case, if they had used that area for training prior to building the course.  Without the fuse, it can't explode.

They won't even normally attempt to diffuse unexploded ordnance though.  They simply take it to a disposal range and blow it up.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

You're looking at the top of the grenade where the striker assembly and fuse would have screwed into the grenade.  It has no fuse now, that's why I thought it might be an inert dummy grenade.  That still could be the case, if they had used that area for training prior to building the course.  Without the fuse, it can't explode.

They won't even normally attempt to diffuse unexploded ordnance though.  They simply take it to a disposal range and blow it up.

If I ever play on a course near a potential battleground/training site, I want you in my group. :-D

Steve

There is a course in MA, Red Tail Golf Course, that is located where Ft Devens used to be. Occasionally there is a news story about someone in the woods finding ordinance near the course in the woods. They tell you not to touch it. About 20 years back, a kid found a grenade and put it in his back pack. It went off and he died.

So I would always err on the side of caution

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm going to assume that grenade was used in an effort to stop a certain critter from terrorizing the golf course...
bill-murray-caddyshack-quotes-quotesgram

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Note: This thread is 2604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!