IGNORED

Jason Day stepping away to help mother with cancer

NCGolfer
Note: This thread is 2569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Really tough to watch.  My mother had cancer.  I had a twin brother who died of cancer.  If it hasn't affected you or your family yet, chances are it will.  I wish nothing but the best for Jason and his family.

• Upvote 4

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

39 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

Really tough to watch.  My mother had cancer.  I had a twin brother who died of cancer.  If it hasn't affected you or your family yet, chances are it will.  I wish nothing but the best for Jason and his family.

Good on him for having his priorities straight. Hope all works out well.

My mother had cancer too. She is a 22 year survivor still chugging along (knock on wood). She lost both her sisters within a span of 3 years to it. Both in their 40s. Father-in-law passed in 2011 at age 61. So yeah, lots of history in the family unfortunately. My wife and I are always vigilant about slightest of signs.  

To anybody who would listen, DO NOT ignore signs!!

• Upvote 2

Vishal S.

Cancer is the shank that we all fear.   It's hard to beat something you know very little about.   Ya, one could quit smoking and drinking or never start but that doesn't guarantee you won't get a form of cancer.   My dad, father-in-law, cousin and good friend all died from completely different forms of cancer and all before 60.  

My hat's off to Jason Day for his devotion to his mother.   His priorities are straight.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

The other, golf-related thought to this is the looming question...does he play in the Masters?  His mother's surgery is slated for Friday and that gives him a week off to be with her during her recovery.  My best guess is that she urges him to go and he does.  If so, he will be both a sentimental and top betting favorite.  He was at 12/1 before this happened which was 4th best behind Justin, Dustin and Rory.

My hope is that it his mother's surgery is successful and the following week is very positive.  He would then show up at Augusta Monday-ish during the tournament week.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

1 hour ago, NCGolfer said:

The other, golf-related thought to this is the looming question...does he play in the Masters?  His mother's surgery is slated for Friday and that gives him a week off to be with her during her recovery.  My best guess is that she urges him to go and he does.  If so, he will be both a sentimental and top betting favorite.  He was at 12/1 before this happened which was 4th best behind Justin, Dustin and Rory.

My hope is that it his mother's surgery is successful and the following week is very positive.  He would then show up at Augusta Monday-ish during the tournament week.

It's fascinating how some athletes perform when faced with a personal crisis.  Ben Crenshaw winning in '95 after Harvey Penick passed, or Brett Favre having a career game the day after losing his father...we all hope for nothing but the best for Jason's mom, but it wouldn't surprise me if she made him play, and he plays well.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

The story and Day's statement brought a tear to my eye. There are still some good people in the world. -Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Doctors deemed the surgery successful and Day expects to be in Augusta on Friday.  As long as things progress and there isn't any setbacks it sounds like he will play.  Doctors still have some test results to come back so there is still a bit of uncertainty.  

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I just read something about his mom not requiring chemo, so obviously this sounds like the surgery was a great success.  That is great news all around.  Definitely one of the nice guys in golf and one to root for. 

• Upvote 1

Dave 

Driver: Callaway X2 Hot 13.5*    Woods: Callaway X2 Hot 5W      Hybrids: Callaway X2 Hot Hybrid 3

Irons: Callaway X Hot 4-9    

Wedges: Callaway X Hot PW and AW, Mack Daddy S Grind 60*/10,  Mack Daddy C Grind 56*/14 

Putter: Odyssey Versa #1

16 hours ago, Inthetrap said:

I just read something about his mom not requiring chemo, so obviously this sounds like the surgery was a great success.  That is great news all around.  Definitely one of the nice guys in golf and one to root for. 

Yup.  I just read the same thing.  Amazing since they had to remove a 3 1/2 cm mass from her lung.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I don't know if I should reply to this subject.  I am glad they were able to remove the mass, though I am surprised they didn't follow it up with chemotherapy.

My wife died of lung cancer.  They couldn't stage her properly.  They guessed it was anywhere between stage 2a and stage 3b.  Lung cancer is tricky, because there are so many vital organs nearby, that you typically can't use radiation.  Surgery involves either VATS (video assisted thoracic surgery), or thoracotomy (maximum invasive surgery, you don't want this).  VATS is usually reserved for people who are stage 2a or less.

Note: This thread is 2569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!