IGNORED

Lexi Thompson's 4 Stroke Penalty at the ANA

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 2097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, RH31 said:

Nice to see her put the "unfortunate ruling" to rest with a dominant win.

How?

People still think she cheated. People are still going to remember how poorly she behaved after she was told of her infraction.

The article gets several things wrong, or shows the clear bias of the author/editor. For example:

At the Kingsmill Championship, there were no angry viewers writing in to ruin things for Lexi Thompson.

Did I miss the part where the "viewer" was outed as being "angry"? And last time I checked, the viewer didn't "ruin" anything - Lexi failed to follow the rules. Lexi "ruined" things herself.

In winning her eighth career LPGA title, Thompson's victory was especially sweet in that it comes after she lost the ANA Championship amid a highly controversial ruling in early April.

Thing is… there really wasn't anything controversial about the ruling. The only "controversy" was whether "viewers" should be able to "call in," despite some 30-50 years of allowing such. It's a "controversy" that exists only - it seems - in the minds of those who oppose it.

The ruling itself was pretty straightforward. No controversy there.

I'll admit… I was rooting against Lexi yesterday. I was hoping she'd fail to win. Why? Not because I think she intentionally cheated. Because I didn't like how she handled being caught breaching the rules. "What? Is this a joke? Whatever!" She played the role of a victim, not the role of an upstanding golfer who should have said "you know, I broke the rule. It was stupid of me. Clearly I'm more cavalier, more careless, and since I value the integrity of the game, I will endeavor to correct my behavior. I'd like to thank the person who caught it, because I would be gutted to learn that I'd won a tournament only to find out later I'd breached the rules in doing so. That's not how I have ever or will ever want to win. Congratulations to So Yeon Ryu on her victory - she earned it."

I don't dislike Lexi. But on the 1-10 scale, she used to be a 7, and is now a solid 5 with the vast majority of the rest of the LPGA Tour. She lost the small favor I had for her. I actively rooted against her once, but that's enough… it's in the past now.

Does she care what I think? Not in the least, nor should she.

• Upvote 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

How?

People still think she cheated. People are still going to remember how poorly she behaved after she was told of her infraction.

The article gets several things wrong, or shows the clear bias of the author/editor. For example:

Did I miss the part where the "viewer" was outed as being "angry"? And last time I checked, the viewer didn't "ruin" anything - Lexi failed to follow the rules. Lexi "ruined" things herself.

Thing is… there really wasn't anything controversial about the ruling. The only "controversy" was whether "viewers" should be able to "call in," despite some 30-50 years of allowing such. It's a "controversy" that exists only - it seems - in the minds of those who oppose it.

The ruling itself was pretty straightforward. No controversy there.

I'll admit… I was rooting against Lexi yesterday. I was hoping she'd fail to win. Why? Not because I think she intentionally cheated. Because I didn't like how she handled being caught breaching the rules. "What? Is this a joke? Whatever!" She played the role of a victim, not the role of an upstanding golfer who should have said "you know, I broke the rule. It was stupid of me. Clearly I'm more cavalier, more careless, and since I value the integrity of the game, I will endeavor to correct my behavior. I'd like to thank the person who caught it, because I would be gutted to learn that I'd won a tournament only to find out later I'd breached the rules in doing so. That's not how I have ever or will ever want to win. Congratulations to So Yeon Ryu on her victory - she earned it."

I don't dislike Lexi. But on the 1-10 scale, she used to be a 7, and is now a solid 5 with the vast majority of the rest of the LPGA Tour. She lost the small favor I had for her. I actively rooted against her once, but that's enough… it's in the past now.

Does she care what I think? Not in the least, nor should she.

Perfect.  Exactly what I was thinking.  I was also rooting against her as well for the exact reasons you stated.  If she had handled the rules infraction like a honorable person, I wouldn't be thinking negatively towards as I do today.  I know she is a good golfer...but now whenever I hear her name all I can think about is how many times has she adjusted her ball on the green.  She ruined her reputation with me(not that she would care) in ever being someone I am going to pull for.  I don't care that she is from the USA and is a great golfer.  I would root against her in a Solheim cup.  If she had behaved and reacted in the way that you mentioned...I would not harbor the thoughts that I do in my head when I hear her name.  There is nothing that she can do at this point forward to wipe her reputation clean with me.  She will always be a rule bender in my eyes.  The apologists for her in making her to be the victim are simply wrong in so many ways....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

How?

It was enjoying to watch her win, knowing how much it (her winning) angers those who enjoyed calling her a cheat, and criticizing her handling of the matter.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, RH31 said:

It was enjoying to watch her win, knowing how much it (her winning) angers those who enjoyed calling her a cheat, and criticizing her handling of the matter.

Lot of assumptions there.

I didn't watch, and I don't really care that she won. When I say I rooted against her, I mean I typed out to a few people "I hope she loses today." You think her win actually angered people? I'm sure a few were annoyed, but gee whiz… quite a stretch.

Other stretches:

• people "enjoyed" calling her a cheater.
  • people "enjoyed" criticizing how she handled things.

I've done half of the latter (the criticizing part). It's not in the least bit "enjoyable."

You're attributing emotions to people about whom you haven't got a clue. Just like the writer who penned about the "angry" emailer.

P.S. Lots of other golf topics here, @RH31. :-)

• Upvote 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Lot of assumptions there.

I didn't watch, and I don't really care that she won. When I say I rooted against her, I mean I typed out to a few people "I hope she loses today." You think her win actually angered people? I'm sure a few were annoyed, but gee whiz… quite a stretch.

Other stretches:

• people "enjoyed" calling her a cheater.
  • people "enjoyed" criticizing how she handled things.

I've done half of the latter (the criticizing part). It's not in the least bit "enjoyable."

You're attributing emotions to people about whom you haven't got a clue. Just like the writer who penned about the "angry" emailer.

People usually don't keep doing things over and over and over and over again if they don't enjoy it or feel strongly about it.

So if one was to post their position on the Lexi "incident",  say 50 times or so in one thread, It would be reasonable to assume they have more than just a casual interest.

10 minutes ago, RH31 said:

Haha.  Yea, I am sure people were angry at her winning.  That is just a stupid comment.  I don't really care and I only watched that tournament for about 20 minutes after my own round of golf.  The funny part was that everyone in the clubhouse watching was trying to catch a glimpse of her marking the ball on the green.  However, interestingly enough the coverage of the event always seemed to switch to something else when she was about to mark her ball.  

Personally, I think she is an amazing player.  However, she definitely mucked up the marking of the ball that one time(and a few others) and her response to being called on it was not becoming of a pro golfer.  I don't understand how someone can appreciate her rules infraction and the subsequent response to it.  I have never seen anything like it in my life.  It was like watching a bratty teenager playing golf.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RH31 said:

People usually don't keep doing things over and over and over and over again if they don't enjoy it or feel strongly about it.

So if one was to post their position on the Lexi "incident",  say 50 times or so in one thread, It would be reasonable to assume they have more than just a casual interest.

Well, yeah, most people who care about the game have more than a casual interest in the people who represent the game on television following and understanding the rules of the game. That doesn't mean that they "enjoy" criticizing or calling the player a cheater, it just means that the want people to be responsible for their actions and accepting of the consequences put forth by the officials based on the rules.

• Upvote 4

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, RH31 said:

Bullshit.

Who has called her a cheater "over and over again"? What's the level at which you'd apply that label? Saying something twice? Four times?

Plus, I don't enjoy criticizing her reaction. I also don't feel all that strongly about it. Mostly, I don't care… but I do care about golf, and I engage in discussion about it. That doesn't mean I enjoy criticizing her. It means I feel a certain way about it, and if that comes out in a discussion or a post prompted by someone else, so be it. There's no "enjoyment" in the criticism. The opposite is closer to the truth.

15 minutes ago, RH31 said:

Nobody's even come close to that.

And if you've counted up posts or something, that's easy… you can't just look at post count.

Plus, you're shifting the goalposts. First it was anger and/or enjoyment. Now it's "feel strongly" and "more than a casual interest."

I have more than a casual interest in discussing the Rules of Golf. The player who did it - and her lame reaction to being caught breaching the rules - is not the topic of the vast, vast majority of my posts. What I've discussed largely is the actual rules, how they're applied, why I think they're applied properly now, etc.

BTW you're up to 43 posts right now in this topic alone. When I said there were lots of other topics here… well, let's put it this way: you're the one with what appears to be the singular focus, the one with almost exclusive interest in THIS topic to the exclusion of almost all others.

12 minutes ago, Nutsmacker said:

Personally, I think she is an amazing player.  However, she definitely mucked up the marking of the ball that one time(and a few others) and her response to being called on it was not becoming of a pro golfer.  I don't understand how someone can appreciate her rules infraction and the subsequent response to it.  I have never seen anything like it in my life.  It was like watching a bratty teenager playing golf.  

Oh, stop @Nutsmacker… you know you were angry she won! Just admit it!

That's sarcasm, @RH31. You see, most people can appreciate things and have a range of emotions on all the various little pieces that played a role. They might think Lexi is both attractive, a skilled golfer, tall, talks funny, too steep with her short irons leading to poor distance control, a cheater, a multiple winner on the LPGA Tour, and all sorts of other things.

Real people tend not to pigeon-hole people or have only one emotion attached to a complex series of events with many facets.

12 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Well, yeah, most people who care about the game have more than a casual interest in the people who represent the game on television following and understanding the rules of the game. That doesn't mean that they "enjoy" criticizing or calling the player a cheater, it just means that the want people to be responsible for their actions and accepting of the consequences put forth by the officials based on the rules.

Said better than I did above. Should've just left it for @Jeremie Boop to say.

• Upvote 1

I was once one who didn't care for the penalty and thought Lexi got screwed, yes mostly just not agreeing with viewers being able to call in. However, with an open mind I read Iacas' responses and really don't see any reasonable nor logical argument against what he said (wrote). 'Sympathy' for Lexi as I heard on the radio this morning, 'redemption.' Redemption for what? Hey, I'm always up for debating but when such a clear point is brought that isn't just an opinion but solid facts, it's a bit futile to continue. When both parties have only opinion the debating can be endless. I don't see this case as that any more. Lexi -1.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Bullshit.

Who has called her a cheater "over and over again"? What's the level at which you'd apply that label? Saying something twice? Four times?

Plus, I don't enjoy criticizing her reaction. I also don't feel all that strongly about it. Mostly, I don't care… but I do care about golf, and I engage in discussion about it. That doesn't mean I enjoy criticizing her. It means I feel a certain way about it, and if that comes out in a discussion or a post prompted by someone else, so be it. There's no "enjoyment" in the criticism. The opposite is closer to the truth.

Nobody's even come close to that.

And if you've counted up posts or something, that's easy… you can't just look at post count.

Plus, you're shifting the goalposts. First it was anger and/or enjoyment. Now it's "feel strongly" and "more than a casual interest."

I have more than a casual interest in discussing the Rules of Golf. The player who did it - and her lame reaction to being caught breaching the rules - is not the topic of the vast, vast majority of my posts. What I've discussed largely is the actual rules, how they're applied, why I think they're applied properly now, etc.

BTW you're up to 43 posts right now in this topic alone. When I said there were lots of other topics here… well, let's put it this way: you're the one with what appears to be the singular focus, the one with almost exclusive interest in THIS topic to the exclusion of almost all others.

Oh, stop @Nutsmacker… you know you were angry she won! Just admit it!

That's sarcasm, @RH31. You see, most people can appreciate things and have a range of emotions on all the various little pieces that played a role. They might think Lexi is both attractive, a skilled golfer, tall, talks funny, too steep with her short irons leading to poor distance control, a cheater, a multiple winner on the LPGA Tour, and all sorts of other things.

Real people tend not to pigeon-hole people or have only one emotion attached to a complex series of events with many facets.

Said better than I did above. Should've just left it for @Jeremie Boop to say.

Maybe to change the subject a little, while me and my buddies were enjoying a beer after our round and watching her play...We all thought that she had a really aggressive swing that looked like it was putting a lot of pressure on her back.  I would be interested to know what a pro thinks about her swing.  Obviously she is awesome at playing, but is that swing sustainable when she gets older?  I know as I have gotten older, I personally have had to dial down my swing a bit so I don't have back and shoulder issues.  I watch some of these players nowadays and I can't help but think of Tiger and his back, knee, problems.  When I was watching In Gee Chun swing, it looked effortless.  If I was to compare swings, I would say Chun's looked more sustainable and "pretty."  Of course I am just an amateur...but just curious to what a pro would think?

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

I've answered many questions and offered some advice here and there when I think I can help.

That said, it's not my website that labels this topic "HOT".

All I said was it was enjoyable to watch her win and get ahead of the "issue", but you just can't let that go or any opinion different than yours(on Lexi) without going on and on about it. You're so predictable.

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, Nutsmacker said:

Maybe to change the subject a little, while me and my buddies were enjoying a beer after our round and watching her play...We all thought that she had a really aggressive swing that looked like it was putting a lot of pressure on her back.  I would be interested to know what a pro thinks about her swing.  Obviously she is awesome at playing, but is that swing sustainable when she gets older?  I know as I have gotten older, I personally have had to dial down my swing a bit so I don't have back and shoulder issues.  I watch some of these players nowadays and I can't help but think of Tiger and his back, knee, problems.  When I was watching In Gee Chun swing, it looked effortless.  If I was to compare swings, I would say Chun's looked more sustainable and "pretty."  Of course I am just an amateur...but just curious to what a pro would think?

I appreciate the attempts, but this would be a good attempt in another topic. We like to keep things fairly strictly on topic here.

(OT: I agree, it's a very "diggy" swing that can lead to problems. IIRC she's already had some wrist issues?)

24 minutes ago, RH31 said:

I've answered many questions and offered some advice here and there when I think I can help.

Hey, I just have the stats. Of your last 17 posts, 16 have been in here.

That said, it's not my website that labels this topic "HOT".

The site hasn't labeled this thread as "HOT" in weeks.

And when it is shown as "hot," it is partly your posting in it that renders it as such. :-)

All I said was it was enjoyable to watch her win and get ahead of the "issue"

That's bullshit too. You said more than that. Even in the first post you linked to an article, and I responded to some of the language in that article. Language (like "anger/angry") that you latched onto.

All I said was it was enjoyable to watch her win and get ahead of the "issue", but you just can't let that go or any opinion different than yours(on Lexi) without going on and on about it. You're so predictable.

Sure thing, buddy. I discuss things about which I'm passionate (the rules being on that list), and my mind is changed by good arguments. I call bullshit when I see it.

You say predictable, I say consistent? You see that as a bad thing…? Fine by me. Is it more predictable than 16 of the last 17 times…? :-D

• Administrator

In related news, Lexi just announced her new ball marker… She says it gives her the latitude to move her ball pretty far around the perimeter while still getting to truthfully claim she placed her marker "behind" the golf ball.

I kid, I kid…

• Upvote 1

I don't care who you are, that's funny 

Once she takes a bite it will leave a nice half circle in the uncrustable that would be a great ball marker, just slide it around the ball, no more guessing on where to put it back.

• Upvote 1

Gus
---------------

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

In related news, Lexi just announced her new ball marker… She says it gives her the latitude to move her ball pretty far around the perimeter while still getting to truthfully claim she placed her marker "behind" the golf ball.

I kid, I kid…

Lol, inspired by this joke, using the highly advanced algorithmic programming of Microsoft Paint, I just invented a prototype for a ballmarker designed to stop Lexi from cheating:

Lexi Ball Marker.PNG

Now she or anyone else who uses this ballmarker can't get loose with returning it hehehe. 

Constantine

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Lol, inspired by this joke, using the highly advanced algorithmic programming of Microsoft Paint, I just invented a prototype for a ballmarker designed to stop Lexi from cheating:

Lexi Ball Marker.PNG

Now she or anyone else who uses this ballmarker can't get loose with returning it hehehe. 

Yeah, we have those already…

:-)

Just now, iacas said:

Yeah, we have those already…

:-)

Lol, someone please send one of those to her haha. 

Constantine

Note: This thread is 2097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!