IGNORED

How far would you go to practice golf ?

Note: This thread is 2542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The net idea isn't bad if you are looking for solid contact solely. I did that for a while then went to the range and realized I incorporated a nice hook into my swing. 

But as far as practice, when I was serious about golf last year I built my class schedule purely on online classes so I could wake up go to the course, do school work in the club house and practice about 8 hours a day. 

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9.0 Aldila Rogue Silver X-Stiff I Taylormade M2 3 wood Fujikara 661 Speeder X-Stiff I Callaway Apex 3 Iron UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F5 X-Stiff I Mizuno MP-59 4-PW Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff I Mizuno Wedges (Blue) 52_56_60 Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex I Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 USA Edition I Taylormade Tour Preferred 

ANd this is why I love my home course. For $54 / month I get unlimited range balls, a free group lesson on Saturday and Sunday (there is never more than 3-5 people signed up), and then discounted rates on the course. And can play for free after 6:00. I agree the net is a good/bad idea. You can think you are making great contact and then when you go out you are hitting the ball all over the place. Unless you are going to get the SKytrak with it. I think they have plans as low as $59/month.

14 hours ago, edwarddroid213 said:

I try to practice twice a week at the driving range. $20 a week! 

Thinking about investing in a golf net so I can practice more often. 

At $20/wk, that become pretty expensive.   Most ranges have a membership plan.   The course I belong to charges $250 / season unlimited.  A net is a viable option but you will want to record your swing so you can analyze it.   You won't see the ball flight but when you record your swing you can get enough information to know if it was correct.

Welcome to the forum.   Glad you found us.   There is a variety of people with different skill levels and almost everyone is very friendly and helpful.  Read the "How to" section and if so inclined, post a swing video.   

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I won't drive to far to practice, unless I want to work on something specific. Normally not more than 5 or 6 miles. 

That said, I do something with a golf club just about every day.

I use to reside some 65 miles from the nearest golf facility. I found the open desert provided an excellent practice area, when using a small piece of synthetic turf to hit balls off of. 

In the end, when practicing,  all I am trying to do is keep a repeatable decent swing. The target, and conditions can be anything.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My club is less than 10 minutes from home, with 2 courses, each with great practice facilities, and I don't go there to practice.  

I do play a minimum of twice a week though...

1 hour ago, Patch said:

I won't drive to far to practice, unless I want to work on something specific. Normally not more than 5 or 6 miles. 

That said, I do something with a golf club just about every day.

I use to reside some 65 miles from the nearest golf facility. I found the open desert provided an excellent practice area, when using a small piece of synthetic turf to hit balls off of. 

In the end, when practicing,  all I am trying to do is keep a repeatable decent swing. The target, and conditions can be anything.

That works best if you have a 12 year old boy with a catchers mitt to shag balls for you! :-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

My club is less than 10 minutes from home, with 2 courses, each with great practice facilities, and I don't go there to practice.  

I do play a minimum of twice a week though...

That works best if you have a 12 year old boy with a catchers mitt to shag balls for you! :-) 

That would work too. :-D

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have a net that I can use in the garage but my home course and practice facility is less than 1 mile from the house.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...

During the winter I travel 80 miles round trip to an indoor range plus the $20 for the range session. 

• 2 weeks later...

I practice at home with and without a ball.  Cheap and truthfully most effective if you really want to groove your swing.  I get very little improvement from hitting balls off the same lie with the same clubs.  

If I do go to the range I practice 90% of my shots inside of 100 yards and only take a handful of swings with my longer clubs.  

Don't go to far to practice. GO FAR TO PLAY!

Note: This thread is 2542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!