IGNORED

Golf Funk

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 2545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

How do you break out of the the golf funk?

I just make a trip to Erie, so @iacas can tell me exactly what to do!  When it comes to golf, I don't like thinking for myself.  ;-)

If you don't have a (good) teacher, the only thing I can think of suggesting is to try taking a couple weeks off from playing to focus on a very specific aspect of your game.  Tell yourself you're going to work for a bit exclusively on chipping.  Or lag putts.  Or some other specific skill that is relatively easy, compared to the full swing, but can give you some additional confidence (and real benefit) next time you play.

If your funk is just a coincidence or mental, the "reset" might help.

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Let it Fly said:

I put the clubs down and take some time off. ...

I just take a week off. Then, I go to the practice range, and I can figure out in about a dozen balls what I was doing wrong.

(It may take a day or two to correct the problem, but at least I'm on track.)

I usually find out I'm exaggerating some part of the swing routine enough to throw everything off. Ye olde overthinke trap.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

It's hit me a couple times in the past few weeks (more like one extended funk that I started climbing out of, slid backwards a bit, and am now (finally!) climbing back out of again).

I like slow swings a lot. For me it's normally an alignment, weight shift (back and/or not forward), or balance issue. The first being easy to check and correct, and the latter two become more obvious to me at slower speeds. I like slow swings a lot, but find it hard to slow down when I get in a "funk", which is frustrating, which makes it harder to slow down, which is frustrating, and so on. Vicious cycle. :-P

It seems to get better once I get fed-up and force myself to hit short shots with a mid to long iron and focus/check on my priority piece (and past piece(s) if needed). Slow enough swings that I ensure good contact and start line. Slowly increasing the swing (length and speed) as the feel gets better. Kind of a, "build the pieces back up", sort of thing, but not necessarily all that detailed. YMMV. :-)

Great thread topic! Thanks @CarlSpackler

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Put me in the "take a few days off" camp.  Like @MacDutch, it's usually because I played too much and have lost focus.

Interestingly, I can get into that situation because of a streak of playing better than normal so I play more out of excitement from playing well.  It's something of a vicious circle...  :doh:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It happens to the best of us.  When I start going sideways I normally do a few things:

• Press the reset button.  Cool off for bit if you are pressing too much.  When you get back to the range, use the alignment sticks to make sure your setup and posture is good.  It isn't uncommon for my setup to get a bit out of sorts and it might be a tweak here or there to get me back on the right path.
  • Start with small swings.  I'll work on path mostly.  I normally play a draw so I'll work on making sure my path isn't coming over the top or something else.  At the same time, you can also focus on club face control and make sure it isn't shutting down or laying open. I work on hitting 8 or 9-irons punch shots at 50-60% power.  I'll hit a bucket of nothing but these types of shots until my ball starts on the intended direction with the right type of curve.  Once I have that I can start working on fuller motion and longer clubs.
  • Get yourself on film.  Not just when it's going bad but when its going good.  Comparing the two is helpful and can help your shorten the time to recovery by noticing things that are out of position or bad habits that crop up.

If all you do is start small I think you'll find you can fix some things pretty quickly.  It has always helped me focus on good fundamentals.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I wonder what Fred Funk does in a golf funk?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Go back to other hobbies for a while. 

I really believe letting go of golf a bit helps you play better. You don't overthink things, and you don't put pressure on every shot and every putt. Just take your head out of it and let yourself be an athlete. Think like an athlete thinks.

Anyway has worked wonders for me.

Edited by Kalnoky

On 4/18/2017 at 10:06 AM, CarlSpackler said:

We've all been there I'm sure. The dreaded golf funk. It happens when you just can't seem to make good contact, or worse, every other shot rotates from brilliant to "WTH was that". How do you break out of the the golf funk?

I've been there many times......

My answer is to play through it.  Keep on playing and it will end......I promise!  

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 4 weeks later...

I am officially in the golf doldrums. I have not played, nor had the desire to play, in over 3 weeks. I have cleaned my clubs and put them in the corner of the garage. Have I officially quit the game?

- Shane

20 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I am officially in the golf doldrums. I have not played, nor had the desire to play, in over 3 weeks. I have cleaned my clubs and put them in the corner of the garage. Have I officially quit the game?

Read more  

Nah, you haven't quit the game.

You're still new to the area with a lot of moving parts in your life right now, including an upcoming household move.  That's gonna push some things to the back burner, whether you like it or not!

Along similar lines, who have you been playing with (when you've played) lately?  Have you found a steady group?  I know there are people who do it, but for me, playing alone sucks, and I just won't do it.  If that's part of the problem, it might help to really try to a find a group that plays consistently that'll give you a reason to get out and play.   That's exactly what got me going again after a relocation brought me down here a long time ago.

Finally, in the meantime, let's get out and play!  Drop me a line, text, or give me a call and we'll see if we can't get you off your butt and back on the course!

:beer:

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

26 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Nah, you haven't quit the game.

You're still new to the area with a lot of moving parts in your life right now, including an upcoming household move.  That's gonna push some things to the back burner, whether you like it or not!

Along similar lines, who have you been playing with (when you've played) lately?  Have you found a steady group?  I know there are people who do it, but for me, playing alone sucks, and I just won't do it.  If that's part of the problem, it might help to really try to a find a group that plays consistently that'll give you a reason to get out and play.   That's exactly what got me going again after a relocation brought me down here a long time ago.

Finally, in the meantime, let's get out and play!  Drop me a line, text, or give me a call and we'll see if we can't get you off your butt and back on the course!

:beer:

Read more  

I typically play very spontaneously as a single, but that was my MO in Ohio too. I've gone through periods of poor play, and I'm certainly used to putting my clubs away for the winter. I've never gone through a period where I just don't want to play. It's somewhat frightening. Maybe my brain is confused from the lack of snow and ice. ;-)

The next few weeks are going to be very hectic indeed. Two more weeks of packing and then heading to Ohio for a week the day after the movers relocate all of our stuff. Then we come back and unbox everything... AGAIN.

Perhaps I'll get the itch after things settle down as you've mentioned.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!