IGNORED

Golf Funk

CarlSpackler
Note:Β This thread is 2536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

We've all been there I'm sure. The dreaded golf funk. It happens when you just can't seem to make good contact, or worse, every other shot rotates from brilliant to "WTH was that". How do you break out of the the golf funk?

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I grab the 2 Iron till I figure out how to hit it pure off the deck. Once I can hit that club good everything else seems easy.

• Upvote 1

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9.0 Aldila Rogue Silver X-Stiff I Taylormade M2 3 wood Fujikara 661Β Speeder X-Stiff I Callaway Apex 3 Iron UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F5 X-Stiff I Mizuno MP-59 4-PW Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff I Mizuno Wedges (Blue) 52_56_60 Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex I Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 USA Edition I Taylormade Tour PreferredΒ 

3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

We've all been there I'm sure. The dreaded golf funk. It happens when you just can't seem to make good contact, or worse, every other shot rotates from brilliant to "WTH was that". How do you break out of the the golf funk?

I go back to the basics. Β I usually start with a stance and alignment, then go into a balanced swing drill, then into a release drill. Β Or what usually seems to happen is an apple will drop from sky and smack me in the head, and I suddenly remember what I did last time to get out of the funk.

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 
TeamΒ :srixon:!

I put the clubs down and take some time off. Β No set amount of time...just enough until I get to the point where my thoughts are: Β "Can't wait to get out there again" rather than "I hope it goes well this time." Β Past instances have ranged from a few days to a few weeks...maybe a month.

Even if the next time out isn't great, I'm still happy to be playing/practicing from the feeling of missing it for a little while. Β Usually does the trick for me.

- Bill

Β 

Β 

21 minutes ago, Dannyhansen88 said:

I grab the 2 Iron till I figure out how to hit it pure off the deck. Once I can hit that club good everything else seems easy.

I'm similar to this. Β not a 2 iron. Β but, a long iron (4 or 5). Β I intentionally swing slowly and deliberately with an exaggerated outside toΒ in swing path (because when I'm swinging poorly, it's usually a result of the opposite). Β once I start hitting it crisp, I pick up the pace. Β  If I can 4 or 5 crisp draws in a row with a 4 iron, every other club just falls in line.Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by lastings
  • Upvote 1

:tmade:Β Β -Β SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:Β  - F9 3W, 15Β degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade:Β - M2 hybrid, 19Β degree
:tmade:Β - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno:Β MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grindΒ - 56Β degree
:bettinardi:Β - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Basics. I go through the check list to see where the problem lies. 9 times out of 10 (for me anyway), it ends up being tempo. I guess when I'm on the range warming up, I have good tempo and hit the ball pretty descent. That triggers something in my head on the course that says "If you swing faster, you will hit it that much further." It then spirals out of control. And it also seems that it is the last thing I think when trying to figure out what is wrong.

It's very frustrating when you play a round one day and have good ball contact, score well, and overall have a great day but, then 2 days later, you have the same swing feelings and cannot make anywhere near the contact you were making a couple of days prior.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Just now, lastings said:

I'm similar to this. Β not a 2 iron. Β but, a long iron (4 or 5). Β I intentionally swing slowly and deliberately with an exaggerated outside toΒ in swing path (because when I'm swinging poorly, it's usually a result of the opposite). Β once I start hitting it crisp, I pick up the pace. Β  If I can 4 or 5 crisp draws in a row with a 4 iron, every other club just falls in line.Β 

Β 

Β 

that said, whats really funny is the bad swings. Β  If an inside out swing is the root of my issue and I'm taking slow, deliberate, outside-in swings, there are bound to be a couple hosel shanks until I get the path corrected. Β There aren't many more embarrassing feelings than when the 2nd hosel shank in 5 swings skips down the range about 10 feet in front of a whole line of range users. Β  you wanna tell everyone, "I swear that wouldn't happen if I wasn't trying to correct something!"... Β  but, all you can really do is put your head down and keep swinging,, Β :8)

:tmade:Β Β -Β SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:Β  - F9 3W, 15Β degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade:Β - M2 hybrid, 19Β degree
:tmade:Β - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno:Β MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grindΒ - 56Β degree
:bettinardi:Β - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I usually also go back to the basics. But this time as I was practicing my swing on the patio I noticed I was not keeping my left arm straight. I was letting it bendΒ  and I had no extentionΒ  in my backswing. Went to the course yesterday and voila I was hitting it 25 yards further and right down the middle once again. It is funny how these little things pop up from time to time. Ain't golf fun. :whistle:

2 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Mostly it is because:

1. I play too much, no focus

2. To fast backswing

3. No turning, all arms (pull)

All three are easy to fix

It's definitely not #1 for me. This past weekend was the first time I played in 3 weeks.Β 

- Shane

I'll take a couple days off then hit the range and go slowly. Easy swings, each shot spaced out more than normal and really work on staying relaxed.

Have a Mike's Hard Lemonade.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Sometimes, I take the PW and hit very loose pitch shots, 20, 30, 50yrds..until I'm fully relax and work on fundamental.

More times than not however I am screwed..I just can't get it back for a few days..the worse part is I might be planing on playing in a day or two. I either have to cancel my plans or I struggle the entire round and hate my life.Β 

9 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Focusing on the 19th hole helps. :-)

my get up and go musta got up and went..

2 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Mike's isn't quite hard enough for me.Β ;-)

42 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

Focusing on the 19th hole helps. :-)

When I got done Sunday, I literally had the thought, "I am down here in FL where I can suck all year. Great."

You guys may be on to something here. I was completely sober...

- Shane

6 hours ago, chilepepper said:

I'll take a couple days off then hit the range and go slowly. Easy swings, each shot spaced out more than normal and really work on staying relaxed.

Good tip! It can take me well over an hour to work through a small bucket. Why hurry?!

3 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Golf Funk? I'd love to play like Fred.

I'd kill to have his game!

2 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

If that's not hard enough for you, maybe stick a flask of your favorite libation in your bag.

Seriously though, going back to basics is a good suggestion. Grip, stance, alignment, and ball position. Bad stuff can slowly creep in here over time, and suddenly you're left wondering what happened to your game?

Note:Β This thread is 2536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!