IGNORED

Laissez-faire Approach

Let it Fly
Note: This thread is 2553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played in a scramble yesterday, and our team's "A" player had one of the most laissez-faire approaches to golf that I've ever seen...at least for a better player.  As I got to know him more through the round, I began to pick his brain a bit...specifically on how he handles some of the difficult/long dog-leg holes on our course.  Almost all of his responses were just so casual:

- "I just try to hit driver over the corner every time here"

- "Try to clear the pond every time"

Mind you, holes in reference here are major trouble if not pulled off to perfection, but he is a big hitter.  When I simply asked "Why?" his response was refreshingly awesome:  "I'm not gonna be able to hit it this far forever, so might as well have some fun with it while I can."  Having played competitive golf from middle school through college, he just kinda said he's over being worried about scores/handicap and enjoys the thrill of pulling off fun shots...whether he turns in 72 or 92.  Considering he was runner-up in the Club Championship last year, I'd venture to guess he pulls them off more often than not haha.

Just a different point-of-view that I thought I'd share, but sure was a fun dude to play with. 

Edited by Let it Fly
  • Upvote 1

- Bill

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, Let it Fly said:

Played in a scramble yesterday, and our team's "A" player had one of the most laissez-faire approaches to golf that I've ever seen...at least for a better player.  As I got to know him more through the round, I began to pick his brain a bit...specifically on how he handles some of the difficult/long dog-leg holes on our course.  Almost all of his responses were just so casual:

- "I just try to hit driver over the corner every time here"

- "Try to clear the pond every time"

Mind you, holes in reference here are major trouble if not pulled off to perfection, but he is a big hitter.  When I simply asked "Why?" his response was refreshingly awesome:  "I'm not gonna be able to hit it this far forever, so might as well have some fun with it while I can."  Having played competitive golf from middle school through college, he just kinda said he's over being worried about scores/handicap and enjoys the thrill of pulling off fun shots...whether he turns in 72 or 92.  Considering he was runner-up in the Club Championship last year, I'd venture to guess he pulls them off more often than not haha.

Just a different point-of-view that I thought I'd share, but sure was a fun dude to play with. 

I have a close friend just like this. He's around an 8 HC. He will always try to launch the driver over, around or through something. It is his best club and he is fearless with it. It doesn't always work, but he never wavers.

The funny thing is my short game is better and together we would do well in a scramble. But for some reason, we have never played one together.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I have a close friend just like this. He's around an 8 HC. He will always try to launch the driver over, around or through something. It is his best club and he is fearless with it. It doesn't always work, but he never wavers.

Pretty sure I used to be "that guy" but my problem was that I wasn't good enough for the expectations I held in regard to pulling off the shots.  Ultimately, I'd get frustrated, upset, and just generally not be a good playing partner as emotion took over.  These days, I get way more satisfaction from the process of trying to improve my swing, playing shots to zones (Lowest Score Wins type strategy), etc...and have seen my scores come down quite a bit from it.

I've still got some juice left in the tank regarding distance, so if I'm able to improve enough over the next year or two...maybe I'll take the aggression up a notch like these guys.  For now though, I'm really enjoying playing fewer provisional balls haha.

- Bill

Phil on Feherty said to be really good at golf, you either have to be really smart or really stupid. I think there are lots of problem with that statement (not the least being that he clearly thinks he's in the former category...). But there is something to be said for not being over-analytical and just playing. DJ is a good example of this. I can't believe how he constantly bounces back from near misses that would have destroyed other golfers.

That said, I don't think any of us are really good enough to just go out and play like that and shoot the lowest score we can. But if you can still have fun and play well, then who am I to judge?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

That said, I don't think any of us are really good enough to just go out and play like that and shoot the lowest score we can. But if you can still have fun and play well, then who am I to judge?

Agreed.  Being a weekend warrior, it's a bit easier to stomach a bad round from having an off-day as opposed to "stupid decision day."   Right now, using distance as a tool to make more pars is helping me improve more than trying to use it as a weapon to hunt birdies & eagles...if that makes any sense. 

- Bill

A pro I take lessons from once told me, when you're having a good round you might want to play the shot more conservatively. When you're having a lousy round, who cares? Challenge the hole. What have you got to lose? Just have fun. So if I'm on the way to a mid-80s round I'll play smart, but if I've had a couple of blow up holes and am headed toward a 100, I'll play the risk reward shots every time. 

• Upvote 2

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On 4/25/2017 at 5:51 PM, DrvFrShow said:

A pro I take lessons from once told me, when you're having a good round you might want to play the shot more conservatively. When you're having a lousy round, who cares? Challenge the hole. What have you got to lose? Just have fun. So if I'm on the way to a mid-80s round I'll play smart, but if I've had a couple of blow up holes and am headed toward a 100, I'll play the risk reward shots every time. 

This is me exactly. If I have a good round going in which I have a shot at a personal best I will go with the lowest score wins approach. Otherwise I will attempt the hero shot every time haha.

On 4/25/2017 at 5:51 PM, DrvFrShow said:

A pro I take lessons from once told me, when you're having a good round you might want to play the shot more conservatively. 

I've seen a lot of times the conservative play will end up bad for a golfer. 

I pretty much prescribe to LSW for all the shots I play. Of course competition can change things. If you are down one and need to make a shot, sometimes your hand is forced. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 4/24/2017 at 3:37 PM, Let it Fly said:

he just kinda said he's over being worried about scores/handicap and enjoys the thrill of pulling off fun shots..

I wish I could develop this kind of attitude - perhaps more than developing a good swing.

I've taken improvement far too seriously since the day I started playing six years ago. That's not to say improvement isn't satisfying, just that it can often ruin what may otherwise be an enjoyable activity. 

As far as taking risks or playing conservatively based on my score, I try to play very close to the same regardless. Maybe subconsciously I play different, but there have been too many rounds that started off poorly but ended well and vice versa.

@saevel25 just beat me to the punch.

Certainly, there are times when I've reached that top level of frustration, after which I'll settle down and just play my game.

• Upvote 1

Jon

I have a friend like this. He plays decent enough golf, but he's not going to be club champion. Put him in a scramble and look out! He'll pull off amazing shot after amazing shot and putt like a demon! But it's not "laissez faire". It's more that he enjoys the format and coming to his team's rescue!

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, DrvFrShow said:

I pretty much go the other way. I try and be as consistent as I can. So if I have a bad hole, its the last hole, I'm not going to change the way I play the next one. Now if I'm out just whacking the ball around, then I'll try somethings I would not do in a scoring round.

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

I've taken improvement far too seriously since the day I started playing six years ago. That's not to say improvement isn't satisfying, just that it can often ruin what may otherwise be an enjoyable activity.

Think you touched perfectly on the ebb and flow of how, why, and when us amateurs enjoy golf the most.  Sometimes we decide we want/need to make swing changes, and that long (often tedious) process of good practice is what keeps us going.  Other times, it's being in a comfortable/accepting mindset and enjoying the time out there with the game we currently have.  No right or wrong, and certainly goes back and forth for a lot of us.

I'm just glad that I've finally grown up enough to not take a bad day/week/month of golf as if it's a knock or detriment to who I am in all other aspects of life.  Has helped me enjoy it more than ever before, and also made me a better playing partner (jury is still out on if it's made me a better player haha). 

• Upvote 1

- Bill

Note: This thread is 2553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!