IGNORED

What Would a 20.1 (see post #95) Index Shoot at a Local U.S. Open Qualifier Site?

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 1631 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Killa said:

Oh and I don't really think length has such a major impact on hcp. Especially in the 30 and above hcp class. 

From your perspective it doesn't seem to have as much of an impact because you hit longer than most. So you probably see accuracy as a bigger weakness. Is that correct? But many players who have handicaps north of 20 don't hit as far or as accurately because we're still learning mechanics.

IMO, both distance and accuracy are important in getting to a low HC. 

This is off-topic, but if you haven't read it yet, the following is an interesting thread....

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/30/2017 at 9:11 AM, kpaulhus said:

Range finders are allowed these days, as long as they dont have slope. 

On 7/1/2017 at 0:39 AM, David in FL said:

Not in the US Open.  I don't know about the qualifiers.  

Just to clear this up.  Range finders are prohibited at all stages of US Open Qualifying (at least as of 2016 when I tried).  Almost everybody will bring the range finder for the practice round and measure every inch of every hole to put it in their yardage book, and then the day of, they'd get the pin sheet with distances on it.

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

But many players who have handicaps north of 20 don't hit as far or as accurately because we're still learning mechanics.

Well… most people who are long are long from the start, and most people who are short, are short from the start. Longer hitters know how to generate speed/power. It doesn't have a ton to do with "still learning the mechanics." Even the long guys who slice the hell out of the ball tend to slice it a long ways right away.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well… most people who are long are long from the start, and most people who are short, are short from the start. Longer hitters know how to generate speed/power. It doesn't have a ton to do with "still learning the mechanics." Even the long guys who slice the hell out of the ball tend to slice it a long ways right away.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Guess I was going by how much longer I hit now than when I first started. But to your point, I'll never be accused of being a long hitter.

Jon

5 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Guess I was going by how much longer I hit now than when I first started. But to your point, I'll never be accused of being a long hitter.

That's what I was trying to say from the get go. Most people will never hit a driver 300 yards even if they practice their whole lives. While I would bet pretty much everything I own that Aaron Judge would hit one 300 in a few months of training (not everyone but like 1/10 or 1/20). 

7 hours ago, Killa said:

That's what I was trying to say from the get go. Most people will never hit a driver 300 yards even if they practice their whole lives. While I would bet pretty much everything I own that Aaron Judge would hit one 300 in a few months of training (not everyone but like 1/10 or 1/20). 

Ok, I hadn't understood what you were saying, sorry.

I agree, there is only so much room for improvement in distance. There are those who can generate a lot of club head speed because of their athleticism. The rest of us have to make due with what we have.

On the subject of that long par 3, that hole alone would cost me strokes because of my lack of distance. Laying up on a par 3 is a pretty good indication I'm playing from the wrong tees. I've hit exactly one green (out of like 10 attempts) from over 200 yards in the last year and a half - and that didn't require carrying water.

On the long par 5's, my lack of accuracy hurts me (can't bring distance into the discussion because I can't improve on that). I can reach a 550 yd par 5 with driver (220), 3 wood (190 off the deck) and 7i (140). The trick is hitting those 3 shots well enough to stay in play or out of trouble.

Long par 4's kill me because of both a lack of distance and lack of accuracy. Since the distance from my 4i is 170, any par 4 over 390 yards requires a fairway wood for approach. As @MuniGrit and @kpaulhus mentioned, it's tough (not impossible) to hold greens with those clubs. Even when I play from 3300 yards (9 holes), I choose to lay up on many of the par 4's and hope for bogey.

As you and @iacas pointed out, we can't do a lot about hitting longer. I can however, work on my accuracy.

Jon

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

Ok, I hadn't understood what you were saying, sorry.

I agree, there is only so much room for improvement in distance. There are those who can generate a lot of club head speed because of their athleticism. The rest of us have to make due with what we have.

On the subject of that long par 3, that hole alone would cost me strokes because of my lack of distance. Laying up on a par 3 is a pretty good indication I'm playing from the wrong tees. I've hit exactly one green (out of like 10 attempts) from over 200 yards in the last year and a half - and that didn't require carrying water.

On the long par 5's, my lack of accuracy hurts me (can't bring distance into the discussion because I can't improve on that). I can reach a 550 yd par 5 with driver (220), 3 wood (190 off the deck) and 7i (140). The trick is hitting those 3 shots well enough to stay in play or out of trouble.

Long par 4's kill me because of both a lack of distance and lack of accuracy. Since the distance from my 4i is 170, any par 4 over 390 yards requires a fairway wood for approach. As @MuniGrit and @kpaulhus mentioned, it's tough (not impossible) to hold greens with those clubs. Even when I play from 3300 yards (9 holes), I choose to lay up on many of the par 4's and hope for bogey.

As you and @iacas pointed out, we can't do a lot about hitting longer. I can however, work on my accuracy.

You touched on it...  The one thing you can do is check the ego at the door and play the tees that are right for you.  I'd gently offer, that a 22 hcp with your length shouldn't be playing 6,600 yard courses.

My club has two courses.  I play the par 71 6,400 yard blues on one, but have moved to the whites on the other, because 6,800 yards is just too much golf course for me to enjoy these days.  Interestingly, my younger, longer hitting buddies have opted to play the whites with me rather than splitting tees.  I suspect that secretly, they're enjoying approaches with a club or two less in their hands too... ;-) 

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just to provide an update, the round will happen this Friday 2:30 pm central time. There has been a lot of "talk" today, right @tsdugger ?

• Upvote 2

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

On 7/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, Killa said:

I don't think it would take Judge months to hit one 300.

Trollin' is the life

On 7/5/2017 at 4:00 PM, kpaulhus said:

Just to provide an update, the round will happen this Friday 2:30 pm central time. There has been a lot of "talk" today, right @tsdugger ?

Bingo - the chatter has been real this week.

I just want to break 100 :)

:tmade: M1 Patriot Edition w/ Matrix Ozik 6Q3 Red Tie :titleist: 913F 13.5* w/ Proforce V2 :titleist: 909h 17* w/ Aldila VooDoo :mizuno: JPX 900 Forged w/ KBS CTaper 130g :titleist: Wedge Works Oil Can 54.10 V Grind +2* Strong :titleist: Wedge Works Oil Can 60.10 V Grind +2* Strong :titleist: Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.6

On 7/2/2017 at 5:37 PM, iacas said:

Not really related, but how much more speed can most slow people learn that you've dealt with? I think I've reached my upper limits, and went from a 7i gameplanning for 140 to now gameplanning that 7i for 175ish over the last winter.

Its why I wish I could just reset all of my club stats on gamegolf from before the 2017 summer.

Edited by cutchemist42

47 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Not really related, but how much more speed can most slow people learn that you've dealt with? I think I've reached my upper limits, and went from a 7i gameplanning for 140 to now gameplanning that 7i for 175ish over the last winter.

Its why I wish I could just reset all of my club stats on gamegolf from before the 2017 summer.

Since it's OT for this thread, you might want to try asking here: 

• Upvote 2

20 index ended up shooting 59-51 for a 110. He made quite a few bogies on the back on some pretty tough holes. 

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

40 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

20 index ended up shooting 59-51 for a 110. He made quite a few bogies on the back on some pretty tough holes. 

And math wins again! :-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

So, do we get a round recap? How long was it? People follow him around? What were the strengths and weaknesses to his game? How much did distance affect him?

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

What was the course rating and slope rating? If you don't mind me asking.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

74.4 142. He had a 12 on a par 4 and a 10 on a par 5. Other than that he was 50-60 yards shorter off the tee and played for double bogey at worst. Took 4 hours and 20 mins. Hit driver on every par 3 and somehow got them to stop on the green. He laid up from 130 on 18 just to be an asshole about it then 3 putted for an 8. 

Kyle Paulhus

Note: This thread is 1631 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!