IGNORED

My Swing (Antneye)

Antneye
Note: This thread is 1028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's a quick 30 second video of my present daily drill. I do this for about 5-10 minutes 5 or 6 times a day. 

I'm trying to stay conscious of my knee bend. When I'm over the ball I feel like I'm not bending too much, but on film it still looks like quite a bit. For the drill, I feel like it is coming along nicely. I could barely swing at 10% without hitting the stick when I started. I've moved it a bit closer to up the difficulty level. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Where is the stick? Behind you? I like it in front of you, and you swinging over it (right of it).

Behind you can be dangerous, too.

And it leads to more "steering" and "pulling in" in the part of the swing where you really want to be dynamic, whereas on the front you're letting it fly and extending it, more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Where is the stick? Behind you? I like it in front of you, and you swinging over it (right of it).

Behind you can be dangerous, too.

And it leads to more "steering" and "pulling in" in the part of the swing where you really want to be dynamic, whereas on the front you're letting it fly and extending it, more.

You can see it to the lower right of the frame (the red stick). It is behind me from a DTL view and left of me when looking face on. It is roughly angled to my swing plane. My backswing and downswing travel under it. If I get OTT I end up hitting the stick on the downswing.

Does that make sense? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are describing but I'm open to a better way.

This picture may help clarify better what I'm describing. 

E405D658-E5B8-44D9-8EC3-39F316C8109B.jpeg

Edited by Antneye

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Antneye said:

Does that make sense? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are describing but I'm open to a better way.

Basically, same place, but in front of you, down the target line.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Put a stick:

• On your target line.
  • 4' or so in front of your ball.
  • Roughly at the lie angle of your club.

Then swing "right" of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Antneye said:

Here's a quick 30 second video of my present daily drill. I do this for about 5-10 minutes 5 or 6 times a day. 

I'm trying to stay conscious of my knee bend. When I'm over the ball I feel like I'm not bending too much, but on film it still looks like quite a bit. For the drill, I feel like it is coming along nicely. I could barely swing at 10% without hitting the stick when I started. I've moved it a bit closer to up the difficulty level. 

Much better on the video angle here. Keep trying to replicate this when taking video.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Put a stick:

• On your target line.
  • 4' or so in front of your ball.
  • Roughly at the lie angle of your club.

Then swing "right" of it.

Tried it and liked it. It definitely let's me swing freer without the fear of impaling myself but I have to be careful not to overswing because I go right back to where I was but I can see it clearly. I initially thought that the rod being outside of my ability to actually hit it with my swing would cause issues but it still works as a visual reference. 

15 hours ago, Antneye said:

Tried it and liked it. It definitely let's me swing freer without the fear of impaling myself but I have to be careful not to overswing because I go right back to where I was but I can see it clearly. I initially thought that the rod being outside of my ability to actually hit it with my swing would cause issues but it still works as a visual reference. 

@nevets88 has the set up in the video below. Erik told him how to built it and set it up. I also recommend wrapping some duct tape around the stick. When you hit it, and you will hit it 😀, the stick will just break and not shatter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 hours ago, boogielicious said:

@nevets88 has the set up in the video below. Erik told him how to built it and set it up. I also recommend wrapping some duct tape around the stick. When you hit it, and you will hit it 😀, the stick will just break and not shatter.

Get as many pvc pieces as you can. You’ll probably hit the tubing once in a while and it’ll save you a trip to the plumbing section. 

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Had a very encouraging range session today. Saw lots of progress with getting my swing on plane. It's not where I want it yet but it's light years from where I started. 

Some negatives I saw is that my knees are still too flexed. It's proving tougher than I thought to fix that. I'm also standing up a bit through impact. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

No video today, just blogging my progress. While practicing today I decided to let a swing go really trying to crush it just to see what it looked like. It was not quite as shallow as my slow swings but it was on plane. I never could have done that even a week ago. 

I'm playing Southern Pines in Pinehurst tomorrow and really looking forward to see what I can bring on the course with me. I'm going to try to focus on swinging only 80% if possible. I'll probably club up a bit to help me stay slow. I've done little work on anything but my full swing so I don't expect a great score but I will be happy with solid contact and reduced penalty strokes. 

I never posted about my Pinehurst round. I really struggled with my irons but my driver was as good as it has ever been. The new swing is feeling more natural and I'm really pleased overall with my progress. I still feel like I am overswinging with my irons and standing up a bit through impact so I really need to focus on that during while playing. I really hit my hybrid and 3 wood well but could not get my 4-8 irons going. Wedges were solid but my chipping and putting was atrocious as expected. 

I only took a penalty on one drive and that ball should have been found. 

I need to get out to the range and try to get some new video this week. I played today and posted a horrendous 104 (48-56). I simply could not get off the tees. Fought a big snap hook all day with the driver. The good news is that I was really seeing improvement with my hybrid and all irons. Pitching was much improved but I still lost too many strokes around the greens. No penalty strokes on the front but 5 on the back. The swing feels like it is getting there so I’m hoping to see it start showing up in my scores. I even hit a 4i off the tee 200 yards slightly left of target. Sadly the hole was 180 away which is what it normally flies. Watching it fly I thought I would be 5’ from the cup 🤣

47 minutes ago, Antneye said:

Fought a big snap hook all day with the driver.

Use the ball flight laws to figure the answer to your problem.  Assuming the strike was decent, and not out of the toe, you have an issue with your face and path being too different.  In other words, you have a face that is too closed to the path on which you are swinging.  Get face and path closer together, and you will see a straighter shot.  Again, all of this assumes you struck it well.

2 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Use the ball flight laws to figure the answer to your problem.  Assuming the strike was decent, and not out of the toe, you have an issue with your face and path being too different.  In other words, you have a face that is too closed to the path on which you are swinging.  Get face and path closer together, and you will see a straighter shot.  Again, all of this assumes you struck it well.

Yep. I know all that and was trying to make adjustments. I just couldn’t get it going. My driver has been good of late so I’m just chalking it up to being one of those days. I think some of it was me standing up a bit and getting some toe hits. But I think ball position was a factor as well. 

I spent an hour on the range today just working on driver since it was so bad yesterday. I was very focused on ball position. The videos below were early in the session and I improved throughout the round as I got more dialed in to my misses and how ball position was impacting my contact. A few takeaways (mostly posting this to remember it later) but also for the great feedback you all provide:

1) ball position moved forward to the inside of my left big toe. I was previously more towards my back inside heel. This helped me to hit more up on the ball with a much improved launch and ball flight. 

2) driver aligned with the heel of the club. For some reason I seem to come in half a club head length from alignment at impact. Lining it up centered with the face was leading to a lot of toe strikes. 

3) less is more. My best contact/flight/distance came when I was swinging what felt like 80%. It felt effortless but the ball jumped off my club. 

4) focused on back inside quadrant of ball and feel of swinging to rightfield. 

5) focused on staying down through impact. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!