IGNORED

TST Central Ohio Outing August 19-20, 2017!

georgep
Note: This thread is 2076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Your appetite to travel long ways for golf amazes me. I was stunned to hear where you were from last year at Norwalk. That said, hope you can make it.

:-).. It is my version of stopping to smell the roses. The furious pace of committed life needs commas.

But yeah, wife has a trip planned to Orlando with kids and in-laws in late August. Hope it doesn't fall on the same weekend.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is the first Sand Trap outing I will be attending, do you typically just do stroke play each person for themselves, or is there some sort of match play/ best ball system with teams that you use?

@georgep @iacas @saevel25

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

4 minutes ago, klineka said:

This is the first Sand Trap outing I will be attending, do you typically just do stroke play each person for themselves, or is there some sort of match play/ best ball system with teams that you use?

Just speaking of the times I've attended, it's typically handicapped stableford format.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 hour ago, klineka said:

What I normally do is that I just count up however many times I hacked at the ball. Tell the more responsible party and let them sort it out.

• Upvote 1

I'm really going to try to make it on Sunday. I can't do Saturday, band gig that evening...but I'm gonna try to rough it on 4 hours of sleep. 

Count me in. I'll let you know if anything changes. 

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I have been planning to play a handicapped Stableford format, as in past outings, at least for the Saturday round. Should we get some more players, I'd suggest making it two-man combined (Stableford) score.

That said, I am open for suggestions if you have an idea for a good format for one or both rounds (though we probably won't play a scramble since most guys usually want to play their own ball).  Let us know what you think.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

5 minutes ago, georgep said:

I have been planning to play a handicapped Stableford format, as in past outings, at least for the Saturday round. Should we get some more players, I'd suggest making it two-man combined (Stableford) score.

That said, I am open for suggestions if you have an idea for a good format for one or both rounds (though we probably won't play a scramble since most guys usually want to play their own ball).  Let us know what you think.

I have not played any sort of stableford format so that should be fun.

Also, which tees do you guys typically play from in these outings? I see the Dennison Course is about 6559 yds and a 71/130 from the black, and a 6210 69.8/128 from the blues. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, klineka said:

Also, which tees do you guys typically play from in these outings? I see the Dennison Course is about 6559 yds and a 71/130 from the black, and a 6210 69.8/128 from the blues. 

6500 yards is pretty common. And if a full group (especially if a full group, sometimes a partial group) wants to play even shorter tees, you're more than welcome.

I don't even know that we'll have a competition at this event. We haven't arranged any prizes or anything. It's more about meeting up and playing some golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've played both black and blue tees at Denison. Aside from making #2 a beast and making you take one more club on the par 3s, there's not a huge difference in moving back. It actually can make #15 easier by making it a more straight forward lay up.  I'd say it's up for discussion. We want this to be a fun event, after all.

Northstar goes to 7400, btw. I don't recommend playing from back there.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

5 minutes ago, georgep said:

I've played both black and blue tees at Denison. Aside from making #2 a beast and making you take one more club on the par 3s, there's not a huge difference in moving back. It actually can make #15 easier by making it a more straight forward lay up.  I'd say it's up for discussion. We want this to be a fun event, after all.

Northstar goes to 7400, btw. I don't recommend playing from back there.

Ok cool. Im fine with either one, most courses I play are in the 6100-6300 range, but I did try from the 6500 blue tees at Table Rock Golf Course  on Saturday and it beat me up a little, especially on the back 9. Gave me some uncomfortable in between club distances and distances that I wasnt used to facing  that lead to some hesistant and bad swings. I'll play either one though, I'm always up for a challenge. 

Stableford works for me...its fun and easy to understand.  I haven't played many other formats to give a good suggestion, but honestly, net stroke play is fine too.  Keep it super simple since we will be a small group. 

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

After looking at the course tour online, my vote is with @mcanadiens for the blue tees. Hole #4 is a par 3 233 yards from the blacks! Ive never played a par 3 over 200 yards let alone 230.

It does look like there is a good mix otherwise of longer holes and shorter holes. Some par 4s being in the low 300 yard range, but also some being low/mid 400s. Par 5s dont look all that long, the longest one being 540 from black and 523 from blue. I can handle those distances as well as the other par 3s from black, 175, 187, 169, but that 233 one would be interesting. 

Regardless, I'll play either one, just would need a great driving day to have a chance at scoring from the blacks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, klineka said:

Ive never played a par 3 over 200 yards let alone 230.

My home center's bloody executive course has eight par 3 holes over 200. No. 11 is a gangster 256 yards. I once got within 10 yards of the green.

Long par-3 holes really do suck and something to be avoided whenever possible.

6 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

My home center's bloody executive course has eight par 3 holes over 200. No. 11 is a gangster 256 yards. I once got within 10 yards of the green.

Long par-3 holes really do suck and something to be avoided whenever possible.

At an executive course!!? Geeze I thought those were supposed to be easier/shorter for practice. Yikes.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, klineka said:

After looking at the course tour online, my vote is with @mcanadiens for the blue tees. Hole #4 is a par 3 233 yards from the blacks! Ive never played a par 3 over 200 yards let alone 230.

Yeah, I don't know… 6200 is pretty short.

But… there's no need to debate this. Play whatever tees you want.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!