IGNORED

Golfer Waiting Overnight for Morning Tee Time at St. Andrews

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

According to him, there are heaters and wifi. And a couple of talky queuers not in the photo.

38mGh_X4nO1t3ARuTZnana1ZsFzZtaG1pW1o4L09G2Q.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Golfer Waiting Overnight for Morning Tee Time at St. Andrews

There are but the distance between the heaters means it's gets cold for most. 

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

• Administrator
21 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

U lucky Bastard!!!!  Send us more pictures so we can live vicariously through u.

Have a good round!

It's not @nevets88, he just found the picture and posted it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

58 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's not @nevets88, he just found the picture and posted it.

Yes, he's a redditor. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The thing is, it's worth it.  It's not the best golf course you'll ever play, but it's a magical experience.  

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

It's not the best golf course you'll ever play

…ehhhhhhh. You'd get some arguments there.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

…ehhhhhhh. You'd get some arguments there.

Yeah, and i can live with that. Lots of the holes play basically the same, with a few really strong exceptions. I don't thing anyone will suggest that it's not an amazing experience.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Yeah, and i can live with that. Lots of the holes play basically the same, with a few really strong exceptions. I don't thing anyone will suggest that it's not an amazing experience.

Ehhhhhhhh, if you say so… They do all start with a tee, have grass and bunkers, and end with a putting green with a 4.25" hole cut in it. :-)

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Ehhhhhhhh, if you say so… They do all start with a tee, have grass and bunkers, and end with a putting green with a 4.25" hole cut in it. :-)

So, is it the best course you've ever played? I have at least one or two i think are better. Still, if i had to play there for the rest of my life, I'd be a happy man.

Dave

Does St. Andrews operate with a first come, first served deal, or is there some other reason why he's sitting there? From what I've read, it can be difficult to get tee times, but is he guaranteed one by sitting there all night?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

So, is it the best course you've ever played?

Possibly. And, like you, I've played more than my fair share of pretty great golf courses.

7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I have at least one or two i think are better.

You're pretty well traveled, so the comment that "it's not the best course you'll ever play" is pretty negative considering how many golfers really don't get to play the same kinds of courses you or I play.

It's in my top three for sure.

5 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Does St. Andrews operate with a first come, first served deal, or is there some other reason why he's sitting there? From what I've read, it can be difficult to get tee times, but is he guaranteed one by sitting there all night?

You can enter the daily lottery, and there are some reserved times, and some booking agencies have blocks of times too… but failing all that, you can always queue up like at Bethpage and hope for a spot to be available either via a no-show or because a threesome won a lottery tee time or something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're pretty well traveled, so the comment that "it's not the best course you'll ever play" is pretty negative considering how many golfers really don't get to play the same kinds of courses you or I play.

It's in my top three for sure.

You can enter the daily lottery, and there are some reserved times, and some booking agencies have blocks of times too… but failing all that, you can always queue up like at Bethpage and hope for a spot to be available either via a no-show or because a threesome won a lottery tee time or something.

I don't mean to be negative, playing the Old Course is a very special experience, and its a really good golf challenge.  Like @iacas, its in my top three, at worst, and for the whole atmosphere and experience it could be the best.  I would wish that every avid golfer would get the opportunity to play the Old Course at least once.

As far as I know, there are five ways to get on the Old Course:

Apply for advance reservations in September for sometime in the following year.  I did this for two consecutive years, successfully.

Buy the "Old Course Experience" and stay in one of a few hotels during your visit to St Andrews, at a moderately steep price

Stay at a hotel that gets reserved tee times at the Old Course, again at a moderately steep price.

Apply successfully to the "Daily Ballot"

Show up early to hope to get on.  Two-balls and three-balls who have reserved times may choose to allow you to play with them.

If you get a chance do it, DO IT, you'll never forget it.

Dave

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2017 at 5:03 PM, DaveP043 said:

Show up early to hope to get on.  Two-balls and three-balls who have reserved times may choose to allow you to play with them.

I would think that that choice isn't up to them with it's popularity. They would want a full sheet as much as possible, just like courses here, correct?

Fortunately, I was lucky enough to play 30 years ago when it was relatively easy to walk up and get on.

5 minutes ago, RayG said:

I would think that that choice isn't up to them with it's popularity. They would want a full sheet as much as possible, just like courses here, correct?

To quote the St. Andrews website, "There is no obligation on the existing golfers to make up a four-ball but common practice is that single golfers are warmly welcomed".  They can say no, and I've read that it does happen occasionally.

Dave

It’s a pretty cool experience, that of course I wish I could have avoided. Nobody stinks outside of thier bad cologne. We arrived ready to play, excited to play, stoked to be there. At just before sunrise the lights come on in the shack, we were walked inside, told there’s little chance, no group has to accept you but if you want to stay show me your handicap and sign in. You can then get coffee and great breakfast sandwich and relax until called. 

7:45 I heard my name, 5 min later I had the best drive of my life. 

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Note: This thread is 2321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!