IGNORED

Julie Inkster says LPGA not given due credit....

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, Vinsk said:

Well not for me. A 17' par putt isn't as awesome to watch as 341yd drive cutting a corner over water in a play off. But that's just me.

It's not the shot it's the circumstance. Spieth would have won had DJ not gotten up and down.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, MSchott said:

It's not the shot it's the circumstance. Spieth would have won had DJ not gotten up and down.

Lol...ok..well I'm just saying what I enjoyed more. I'm not judging which play was more important ..I'm talking pure entertainment. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 8/30/2017 at 10:21 PM, Vinsk said:

Lol...ok..well I'm just saying what I enjoyed more. I'm not judging which play was more important ..I'm talking pure entertainment. 

No doubt. That was very entertaining. Two of the best fighting it out. Brings up an interesting question, power versus steadiness. While this is superficial as of course DJ has far more to his game than just power, Spieth is the better player and will have a better career. He's an assassin under pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't find watching the LPGA all that entertaining. I usually only watch the women when there is no other golf to watch, although I did watch the end of the LPGA tournament today. Lexi Thompson needs to win more tournaments, or at least be in the final group more often, it would make the LPGA tournaments much more interesting to watch.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Yeah it's unfortunate. And I know it's not every men's tournament that has awesome shot making (relative to them I mean) but like the way Justin played that hole by using #13 fairway...high over the trees and carrying it +300....that's awesome. You would never see that with the women. Then somebody (with Inksters ideology) will boast how long some of the women are...well, yeah...but they don't play those types of shots very often. Everything is slow and straight with minimal risks. Everyone was held to Tiger's ( and now many other long ballers) ability on the men's tour. Short knocker? Too bad...we're lengthening the course any way. Yet they still keep the courses short for the women and the 'big' hitters don't capitalize on their distance because they just don't take risks. I dunno ....but credit is where it should be. Sorry Julie, you're wrong.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

It's a business at the end of the day... enough people are interested in the product, or they're not.  The "due credit" comment by Inkster is total crap.

Personally, I enjoy watching the LPGA and going to their events.  What I like most about their events, they're less crowded than PGA events, which creates a more enjoyable atmosphere (I hate big crowds).

I don't watch much golf and haven't read this whole thread (I'm prob being repetitive).  I agree w/ the old adage that my amateur swing is more like LPGA than PGA.  I watch both equally when I do watch, but when I'm youtubing looking for swings to mimic, it's 80/20 in favor of the ladies.

21 minutes ago, bones75 said:

I don't watch much golf and haven't read this whole thread (I'm prob being repetitive).  I agree w/ the old adage that my amateur swing is more like LPGA than PGA.  I watch both equally when I do watch, but when I'm youtubing looking for swings to mimic, it's 80/20 in favor of the ladies.

Why?

38 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Why?

I've been told it a ton (amateurs should look at lpga swings more than pga), and it just seems right to me.  I watch pga as a sport (like football, basketball, etc..), but i watch lpga specifically for their swings.  If i were near scratch, this wouldn't be the case i think.

Sadly, I also think my strentgh/fitness is much closer to Lexi Thompson than it is to a rory or bubba.  (if both my feet are effectively off the ground at impact, i'd probably be whiffing)

This topic also makes me think about the difference between tennis/golf and sports like baseball/football/basketball. I believe a lot of tennis/golf watchers play the sport actively, while less true in the other?  I think it's relevant to the some of the arguments in this thread when applying to LPGA vs PGA, in contrast to WNBA vs NBA.

I played golf on Labor Day with a father and his daughter, who is entering her Junior year at high school and is ranked in the Top 10 Junior Amateurs in NJ.  I doubt that she weighed more than 95 pounds but she played from the tips and just ripped the ball down the fairway.  The rest of her game was solid but watching her warm up with her driver showed this 65 year old with a bad back more than I ever learned attending several PGA Majors.  The amount of club head speed she generated using all the levers involved was amazing and I tinkered this weekend trying to emulate parts of her swing.  Not that I killed every drive or moved from the white tees to the blues, but I did catch a few and was 20 yards longer if I executed the swing properly.

So, watching the women for some of us can teach us more about our own swings than watching DJ or Rory, although it is awesome to watch and certainly a ratings increaser.  

I can see that to a point I guess. Problem for me is those slim young women are so much more flexible than I could ever be. I get more out of watching someone similar to my build then a 100-150lb female. They all have great mechanics so I need to see them done by someone I can physically relate to.

Perhaps more credit would be given if they played all 72 holes in this week's major? Just sayin' ;-)

• Like 1

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

2 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Perhaps more credit would be given if they played all 72 holes in this week's major? Just sayin' ;-)

Agreed.  But beyond that, I've never heard of the erasing scores thing.  That's gotta be a double whammy on whoever was leading, both on losing good holes and then trying not to think about it. Imagine Bubba's reaction should he have been in the lead and the PGA did that.

Yeah, it helped and screwed some. Jessica Korda was one leader, and a Korean player had 2 double bogies in first 4 holes. She gets a nice fresh set of mulligans now.

nothing in this world is given, you have to earn it or sell it. If they don't have the market share or cash they want it is on them to change it. it is totally possible they can't change, possibly the product just isn't good enough to the masses to generate the $'s...possibly they do a poor job of marketing it...the WNBA says the same thing, the Womens professional fastpitch league is watched by few, womens college sports are watched by few, the ladies soccer league fell apart....

This might be a shocking and slanderous statement to some...maybe as a gender males prefer sports more then females and quite possibly those same males prefer to watch men play those sports...just saying. The numbers are what they are. 

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

https://www.thenation.com/article/why-dont-people-watch-womens-sports/ Pretty good read about why people don't watch women's sports.

I think a lot of it is perception. The perception is women are not as much fun to watch. I know a lot of men that have never even watched a women's sporting event. They just say women are not as good as men. I was pretty much the same way, but having a daughter who is a basketball fanatic and plays at a high level (for her age) I have grown considerably in my appreciation of women's basketball. You cannot compare it to the men's game, you have to appreciate it for what it is. That will be very hard for a lot of men, and men still make up over 66% of all sports viewers. 

19 hours ago, NM Golf said:

https://www.thenation.com/article/why-dont-people-watch-womens-sports/ Pretty good read about why people don't watch women's sports.

I think a lot of it is perception. The perception is women are not as much fun to watch. I know a lot of men that have never even watched a women's sporting event. They just say women are not as good as men. I was pretty much the same way, but having a daughter who is a basketball fanatic and plays at a high level (for her age) I have grown considerably in my appreciation of women's basketball. You cannot compare it to the men's game, you have to appreciate it for what it is. That will be very hard for a lot of men, and men still make up over 66% of all sports viewers. 

I also think that the perception by men is that "they" are better than the women professionals so why would i watch the women play any sport that i can be just as good at.  I don't agree with this, but I think that it might be a reason men do not watch much women's sports.

Note: This thread is 2382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!