IGNORED

3 wood or 5 wood

Berty42
Note: This thread is 2288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everybody,

i was was just looking for opinions.... i was thinking of getting rid of my 3 wood and hybrid and relplacing them with a 5 wood or strong hybrid. I would then add my 3 iron back in bag. I like hitting my irons and am a fairly good ball striker. Courses in my area don't really have many par 5s that I need a 3 wood for anyways. Should I just get rid of the 3 wood and hybrid and go with a 5 wood?

• Like 1

A golfers bag make up should provide the many yardage values that the golfer might run into. The clubs in the bag should also provide a comfort zone for the golfer. 

If you are comfortable replacing your 5W with your 3i, I say go for it. I am going to assume you can can do with your 3i, just about ever thing you can do with your 5W. 

Myself, I kept my 5W, when I dropped my 3i. I replaced my 3i with a 7W. My 7W quickly turned into my "go to" club in many different situations. 

On another note, I sometimes play familiar courses, where I know what clubs I will need, and which ones I won't be using. I will arrange my bag accordingly on those days. 

In the end, as I mentioned above, a golfer's bag make up should provide a comfort zone more than anything else. A comfortable golfer is a more relaxed golfer. It's my opinion that a relaxed golfer will play better than a golfer who is not. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you'll want to keep a hybrid for hitting out of the rough. But definitely I would say drop 3W for 5W.. IMO the shorter length of the 5W just makes it so much easier to get around on.

Most of this year I've played with no fairway woods.. I've only recently re-introduced the 5W because I want to see if I can have a shot at an eagle, there a couple of shorter Par 5's around here.. and, I'd like to get that merit badge. 

I haven't carried a 3 wood in several years - made the switch to 5 wood and don't regret it. More consistent ball striking and distance is pretty similar.  

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

6 hours ago, Berty42 said:

Hey everybody,

i was was just looking for opinions.... i was thinking of getting rid of my 3 wood and hybrid and relplacing them with a 5 wood or strong hybrid. I would then add my 3 iron back in bag. I like hitting my irons and am a fairly good ball striker. Courses in my area don't really have many par 5s that I need a 3 wood for anyways. Should I just get rid of the 3 wood and hybrid and go with a 5 wood?

We don't really know anything about your game, and generally it's better to hit farther.

My son has driver, 5W, hybrid (which he rarely uses), and 3i to PW. He hits his 3i about 250 yards on average. He also feels more comfortable with an iron in hand.

I don't hit anywhere as far as my son as I only average 260 with a driver off the tee. I use the 3W off the tee quite a bit on tricky and short par 4, and to try to reach many par 5 in 2 shots. My hybrid comes into play a lot when I have a hair over 200 yards to the pin from rough or fairway bunkers.

My daughter uses a 3W, 5W and a 7W and hybrids down to a 6i. She only averages 210 from the tee with driver. So, she needs to use the longest clubs she can reliably get to the green or target.

So, it kind of depends upon your game (and potential), not so much what you can and can't hit at this point in time.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

6 hours ago, Lihu said:

We don't really know anything about your game, and generally it's better to hit farther.

My son has driver, 5W, hybrid (which he rarely uses), and 3i to PW. He hits his 3i about 250 yards on average. He also feels more comfortable with an iron in hand.

I don't hit anywhere as far as my son as I only average 260 with a driver off the tee. I use the 3W off the tee quite a bit on tricky and short par 4, and to try to reach many par 5 in 2 shots. My hybrid comes into play a lot when I have a hair over 200 yards to the pin from rough or fairway bunkers.

My daughter uses a 3W, 5W and a 7W and hybrids down to a 6i. She only averages 210 from the tee with driver. So, she needs to use the longest clubs she can reliably get to the green or target.

So, it kind of depends upon your game (and potential), not so much what you can and can't hit at this point in time.

I hit my 3 iron about 225-230. I'm about 8 handicap. 3 hybrid is about 240 for me and 3 wood 255-260. I just don't use the 3 wood or hybrid much.  I also have 4 wedges. I use everyone of them through out a round. 

13 hours ago, Berty42 said:

I hit my 3 iron about 225-230. I'm about 8 handicap. 3 hybrid is about 240 for me and 3 wood 255-260. I just don't use the 3 wood or hybrid much.  I also have 4 wedges. I use everyone of them through out a round. 

That's about 2-3 clubs farther than me on the approaches, so I can see why you're asking people for advice.

However, if I could hit 15 yards farther on all clubs, I don't think I'd be getting rid of my 3W/4H/4i combination at the top end. That is, unless I hit a 5W and a longer hybrid really straight?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think whatever works for you is what's important.  Personally, I carry a 3W, 3H, 4H.  I hit the 3W up to 230- 240 off the fairway and 250 off the tee.  The 3H will go 210-220.  I carried a 5 wood for years and replaced it with the 3H which I find more versatile and accurate.  To me the question is 3I/3H vs. 5W.  At my home course I tee off with 3W five or six times a round so it makes sense for me. 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

• 4 months later...

It's all about your comfort zone. You might want to put the three wood in the trunk of your car or in the garage and see how it goes. That way you can always put it back in your bag if you have to. A 7wood is a nice alternative to a 3iron.

Note: This thread is 2288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!