IGNORED

The Golf Ball "Problem": PGA Tour Players Hitting it Far is a Problem for All of Golf?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Golf Ball "Problem"  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Does the distance modern PGA Tour pros hit the ball pose a problem to golf as a whole?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is the main source of the "problem" above?

• The golf ball goes too far, primarily.
    • Several factors all contribute heavily.
    • I voted "No" above, and I don't think there's really a "problem" right now.

11 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I think there is some propensity for newer courses to be longer and have more distance from the green to the next tee. At least I see it in the courses around my area. However, that probably has much less to do with golf balls and more to do with the popularity of riding carts.

A lot of the newer courses strongly recommend that people use a riding cart.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/19/2017 at 6:04 PM, uitar9 said:

An amateur question:who started the idea that the game is getting to long? The owner who can't get a pro event because his course is too short for the pro ranks? 

I realize there are Sand Trap forumites who regularly hit it off the tips on a 7,000-8,000 yard course. I can't imagine the vast majority of golfers play off those tips.

No wonder golf is becoming slower. I would never hit off those tips but I'd still have to walk the extra 2-2,500 yards. 

Not tying to be a butt hole , but where did this whole idea start? the game is getting to long. 

Nobody I know, especially me, ever complains about hitting it to long. Who are "they".

22 hours ago, Lihu said:

A lot of the newer courses strongly recommend that people use a riding cart.

And pay the $14 fee that goes with it.

Realistically, there are just a bunch of these newer courses where it isn't really an option.

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

And pay the $14 fee that goes with it.

Realistically, there are just a bunch of these newer courses where it isn't really an option.

But what would Golf be like without those GPS units mounted inside the $14 carts telling everyone they hit 300 yard drives and 100 yard approaches with their full swing 6i thus making most people feel that the ball is getting too long and inspiring people to post in threads like this one stating the ball length is a problem? :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

A lot of courses today are built around home developments and between houses and of course streets.    That is one reason for long trips to the next tee.   And there are a lot of people who love Golf but cannot walk the courses, strokes, injuries and so on.    I know this is not about the long ball, but it is a fact and of course you have to pay for the Cart.     As far as the long ball, it does not affect that many players where it is too long, mainly the Tour.    But us hacks do appreciate a few more yards, especially us older Geezers.   So, everyone has an opinion, some good, some bad.

1 minute ago, joro said:

A lot of courses today are built around home developments and between houses and of course streets.    

I tend to avoid those courses, dont want to put a dent in someone's siding or shatter a window :whistle:

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

• Administrator
3 hours ago, uitar9 said:

Not tying to be a butt hole , but where did this whole idea start? the game is getting to long. 

Nobody I know, especially me, ever complains about hitting it to long. Who are "they".

Look at my Twitter conversation right now, with John Huggan, Michael Clayton, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 11/20/2017 at 8:27 AM, klineka said:

Based on most of the courses I play that have tees 7,000+ yards, you have to walk right past the tips to play any of the shorter sets of tees, with the exception of maybe like 2-3 holes where the tips might be at a different angle. Obviously this comes into course design, but I bet most of the time you have to walk right past the tips to get to a closer teebox anyway so I dont really see how that is contributing to slowing golf.

My experience is completely different than yours. Most courses I've played with tees for 7,000+ yards often have the tee boxes out of the way of your typical route through the course. You're not walking the extra distance unless you are playing from those tees.

This is true even from the tips on the courses I typically play and they're 6,400-6,800 yards or so. There are usually at least three or four tee boxes on each course that are not grouped with the others and I have to walk a different path than others to get to.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I think the people who have been in golf the longest all tend to agree something should be done.

A championship course is designed to test all aspects of the pros very best game using all th clubs in the bag.  What we have now is equipment from one era being used on courses designed in an older era without these distances.  Is that truly championship golf?

A true championship course needs a certain amount of long iron approaches and the green complexes need to match that.  

Par fives on a true championship course are not gimme birdies like they are now.

They should roll back clubs and ball imo because the alternative is to construct a bunch of new courses and golf is over the Tiger era so many are dropping out.

Really I don't think the architecture has caught up with the technology.  Its a problem that more and more people are seeing on the PGA and at many levels.  Good to see more folks taking a stand.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

A true championship course needs a certain amount of long iron approaches and the green complexes need to match that.

Says who?

Par fives on a true championship course are not gimme birdies like they are now.

They're not even gimme birdies at Augusta National. Look 'em up. Even #13 plays to 4.79 strokes historically. (15 is 4.78). They're the two easiest holes on the course. They're not even half a birdie per round combined.

They should roll back clubs and ball imo because the alternative is to construct a bunch of new courses and golf is over the Tiger era so many are dropping out.

So, the courses you're playing are too short for you?

Please.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

There's no reason I should be subject to the same limitations as professionals.

Sure there is. They're the Rules of the game.

Nothing's stopping you from buying and using non-conforming equipment. Go for it.

Truth is, nobody makes non-conforming equipment, really, because golfers wouldn't buy it. They like playing under the same rules and guidelines as everyone else.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Sure there is. They're the Rules of the game.

Nothing's stopping you from buying and using non-conforming equipment. Go for it.

Truth is, nobody makes non-conforming equipment, really, because golfers wouldn't buy it. They like playing under the same rules and guidelines as everyone else.

I think its mostly down to the stigma of using non-conforming gear. Some of the stuff makes sense for the weekenders like myself (i have the Polara XD balls that im testing out) and would allow them to enjoy the game more. I mean, if you're not fussed about comps or official handicaps why not?

Non-conforming gear seems to have quite a following in Japan, so maybe their approach to golf is a little more relaxed than the US or Europe?

golfers need to ask themselves why they play golf. If its to play comps, for the handicap or to maybe turn pro then stick to the full rules and conforming gear. If you play for fun then use what helps you to reach that goal.

9 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

I am an amateur.  There's no reason I should be subject to the same limitations as professionals.

I agree with Player.  Let ams use the tech!  

Bifurcation omg!  The horror!

While i agree with the above i cant see it happening "officially" as in two sets of rules. Things get too messy and complicated. But like i said in my post above for the rec players the rules are a little more "open to interpretation" ;-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

There is an old film of a man testing out a Football Helmet from way back when.     He plows into a wall head first, which is kind of where this subject has gone.    It is what it is whether anyone likes it or not.    I think a Stupid Rules discussion about just how they came about and why is much more interesting.    Getting into the reason why the "Grand and Glorious Rulers" of the game have come up with some of these totally stupid Rules are interesting.     

The game should be hit it, go find it and hit it again.    

43 minutes ago, joro said:

There is an old film of a man testing out a Football Helmet from way back when.     He plows into a wall head first, which is kind of where this subject has gone.

This is funny, and interesting. :-D

43 minutes ago, joro said:

It is what it is whether anyone likes it or not.    I think a Stupid Rules discussion about just how they came about and why is much more interesting.    Getting into the reason why the "Grand and Glorious Rulers" of the game have come up with some of these totally stupid Rules are interesting.     

The game should be hit it, go find it and hit it again.    

Make a new thread to discuss having rules for amateurs and pros. What do you think should be different and ask others to make suggestions.

I’d guess that topic would also go in circles.

People like playing by the same rules as the pros, because they know they are playing the same game.

If balls are rolled back let’s say 10%, I’d guess less old people would play because they don’t want to play a different game than everyone else.

OTOH, more people could play exactly like the pros but using nonconforming equipment.

It could be an interesting topic, or not?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Lihu, it would be very interesting, but I am not advocating different rules, I just think the current rules are way too much and some of them border on stupidity or have made it and who is responsible?   How about the USGA elite.      How about dropping a ball on the slope of a WH and watching it obviously roll back into the hazard, that is bad enough but the rules say you have to do this twice before placing it.    And of course it takes a while for this farce to go on.     Tell me what is the point when it is obvious the Ball is going downhill and into the water.     That is what I am talking about.    Ever see the Decisions Book, it is thick as the Bible,and some Bluenoses think it IS the Bible.     The rules are, well, interesting.

I am an old person now with a lot of old injuries, but I still love to play although I cannot walk due to a stroke and other things, but I still love to play and plan to keep on as long as I can.   So enjoy what you have while you got it, I did and have lots of great memories.

To me it's inconsistent to place such high emphasis on a set of rules as if they were handed down by GOD and at the same time advocate destroying the integrity of the game by playing modern gear on courses that were not designed for it.  On one hand people want to uphold something because of its historical value and on the other they advocate it's destruction.

"Just hit it over those bunkers in the fairway."

God,,, AKA  USGA.     I am with you, but as the game goes to a power game, for the money obviously, we are in the minority.      Back to Wood, then the Ball wouldn't matter that much.

Note: This thread is 1235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!