Jump to content
IGNORED

My Swing (johnclark12)


Recommended Posts

Having a large amount of trouble getting drives to come off the ground and my irons are the same way.

I've been Playing Golf for: Casually for 4 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 120 for 18 holes handicap around 30 (Due to bad drives every time)
My typical ball flight is: Pull, almost always go right no matter what club I use
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Just trying to hit the ball into the air so it goes further, Would also like to correct the hooks


Videos: 

 

MORE VIDEOS COMING SOON

Edited by johnclark12
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Hi @johnclark12, big issues are with the grip and how you turn your body. The way you do it makes it very hard to be able to hit the ball solid.

First thing I would do is address your grip, both hands look like they are under the grip and the left hand is all in the palm. Simple image for the left hand is to hold it how you would if you were going to hammer something, it would be in your fingers, not your palm. This thread will help.


With your swing, the torso is turning too level to the ground, things need to turn more on a steeper angle. Ideally that angle is 90 degrees to the amount you're bent over at address. To train the pivot I would do a bunch of these at home and on the range in between shots. The left shoulder should work under the chin, not into the chin.

I would do this drill for the backswing and downswing, the stick across your shoulders will point down on both sides of the ball.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@johnclark12 Hey there! Mike has given you some excellent advice. I just wanted to remind you that the grip change may feel very strange to you. Don't get discouraged or feel you must be doing it wrong if it feels weird. Follow the grip post @mvmac posted and be patient. Mike knows very well what he's doing and real changes can feel real weird. Good luck!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
22 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I just wanted to remind you that the grip change may feel very strange to you. Don't get discouraged or feel you must be doing it wrong if it feels weird.

Yes well said. It SHOULD feel strange because you're doing something much different. @johnclark12, give it time, practice at home and don't let it slip back to the old position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 1 year later...
(edited)

Hey guys. Have not posted here in awhile so I wanted to give an update as I am still seeking some help.

I've been Playing Golf for: Casually for 6 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 100 for 18 holes handicap around 24 (Due to bad 2nd shot every time)
My typical ball flight is: Drives typically straight or right, irons never leave the ground or go extremely right
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: 2nd shot every hole with 5,6,7 iron!!!!! I can hit hybrid on Par 5's.

I am having a terrible time hitting irons. If I do a half backswing I can get it to go straight and high but only like 100 yards no matter what club I am using. I think I am having a hard time keeping my elbow straight but no matter what I try I can't get this issue fixed. Anybody have any kind of advice or drills to try?

----------

Iron Swing

 

Edited by johnclark12
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Swooshgolf said:

It looks like you're coming inside a lot and without any wrist break/cock. I would work on getting a good grip and turn .

I've also been told by some that using R9 irons are generally not preferred for high handicapped golfers. When I was using generic TopFlite last year I would sometimes actually drive with them because I was having trouble with the driver. I have not ever tried them again since switching to these R9's.

Is that a possible root of the problem?

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, johnclark12 said:

I've also been told by some that using R9 irons are generally not preferred for high handicapped golfers. When I was using generic TopFlite last year I would sometimes actually drive with them because I was having trouble with the driver. I have not ever tried them again since switching to these R9's.

Is that a possible root of the problem?

It's the indian not the arrow.  Unless your clubs are completely ill-fitted for you, i.e. length, lie, etc., then I'm afraid to report, it's all you.  Clubs are just clubs, but technique and talent make up the golfer.  Going through a proper fitting is the only way to tell whether it makes a difference.  Which mind you, I think clubs might make up 10-20% of your golf game.

Edited by ncates00
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, johnclark12 said:

Hey guys. Have not posted here in awhile so I wanted to give an update as I am still seeking some help.

I've been Playing Golf for: Casually for 6 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 100 for 18 holes handicap around 24 (Due to bad 2nd shot every time)
My typical ball flight is: Drives typically straight or right, irons never leave the ground or go extremely right
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: 2nd shot every hole with 5,6,7 iron!!!!! I can hit hybrid on Par 5's.

I am having a terrible time hitting irons. If I do a half backswing I can get it to go straight and high but only like 100 yards no matter what club I am using. I think I am having a hard time keeping my elbow straight but no matter what I try I can't get this issue fixed. Anybody have any kind of advice or drills to try?

----------

Iron Swing

 

 

Looks to me like you've got the swing a bit backwards. Your backswing is very flat, and then your forward sting is steeper. Try to feel that you're doing the exact opposite.

Disclaimer: I'm an average golfer, not a teacher, and like all of us, am myself on the long path for improvement. Please take my comments as a friendly suggestion rather than an expert opinion.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, chspeed said:

 

Looks to me like you've got the swing a bit backwards. Your backswing is very flat, and then your forward sting is steeper. Try to feel that you're doing the exact opposite.

Disclaimer: I'm an average golfer, not a teacher, and like all of us, am myself on the long path for improvement. Please take my comments as a friendly suggestion rather than an expert opinion.

 

Hi - just scrolled up and saw that @mvmac gave you some grip and turn advice. Please ignore my advice and follow his. Have you worked on his suggestions? How is it going?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey guys,

Went out for 9 yesterday and have been seeing improvements. Initially, it appears I am standing with the ball too much towards my front (left) foot. I moved back a little and worked on keeping my arms straight and had 100+ yard iron hits landing within 10 feet of the hole on 7, 8, and 9 of my course. My wrist motions towards the end of the swing were also a bit too stiff it appears.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
(edited)

Update:

I've been Playing Golf for: 7 Years
My current handicap index or average score is: 20
My typical ball flight is: Drives typically straight, Irons typically draw, hybrids & woods I cannot hit
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I cannot hit hybrids, 3 woods, or anything longer than a 5 iron. It is really starting to mentally get to me.

------

See videos below. Take it easy on me, I know my swing plane is horizontal. I cannot hit my hybrids, they don't leave the ground. I can everything else comfortable.

 

 

Edited by johnclark12
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Do you usually play from both sides?

I would recommend starting with the drills in the thread below, especially days 1 to 5. Setting up the backswing helps the downswing. It will also help you increase your hip and shoulder turn.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Do you usually play from both sides?

I would recommend starting with the drills in the thread below, especially days 1 to 5. Setting up the backswing helps the downswing. It will also help you increase your hip and shoulder turn.

 

If you mean left and right handed, both of these are right hand videos. One is just the camera angle. If you mean my swing being this horizontal, it depends on the day

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
24 minutes ago, johnclark12 said:

If you mean left and right handed, both of these are right hand videos. One is just the camera angle. If you mean my swing being this horizontal, it depends on the day

The camera angle won’t make you look lefty unless you mean it’s a mirror camera recording.

 Neither video is from a good angle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, iacas said:

The camera angle won’t make you look lefty unless you mean it’s a mirror camera recording.

Probably taken with the selfie camera on a phone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
2 hours ago, johnclark12 said:

If you mean left and right handed, both of these are right hand videos. One is just the camera angle. If you mean my swing being this horizontal, it depends on the day

Ok. But do go and try those drills. I really think they will help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. CathyKnarr
      CathyKnarr
      (28 years old)
    2. Club Greg
      Club Greg
      (58 years old)
    3. Cnich
      Cnich
      (31 years old)
    4. Douglas Reedy
      Douglas Reedy
      (40 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...