IGNORED

Greenside bunker question

Brickman
Note: This thread is 2393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone experience hitting sand shots that hardly get off the sand and hit the inside of the bunker?  I am experiencing this bladed shot and don't know why so I'm open to suggestions.  I worked on it today and I seem to be much better off hitting a normal pitch like shot out of the bunker as opposed to opening the face, exposing the bounce, etc.  Interested in any thoughts.   

The best advice you can follow is to slightly open the face and truly commit to a fairly full swing, hitting about an inch behind the ball. Most people run into trouble because they have a hard time mentally committing to taking that large of a swing all for the ball to go a few yards in the air. However, this is actually what helps you to get the needed height on the ball to get it out of the bunker. 

Shawn Foley

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What @smfoley said.  I used to be horrible at bunker shots because I thought you had to "pick the ball clean" bladed many a shot, and sent playing partners ducking.

Once you get used to the idea of hitting behind the ball getting out of most green side bunkers is actually pretty easy.  

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

This thread helped me .

I still tend to overhit bunker shots , but prioritise just getting out at the moment. My dad slightly bladed one the other week out of 1 greenside bunker straight into the other - always hilarious when it's somebody else. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to practice this non stop when I was a kid, and I used to pick EVERY shot out clean. Boy I wish I could still do that. 

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

My #1 thought when in a greenside bunker is to just get out of the bunker and onto the green in 1 shot. If I can get it close to the hole, then thats a bonus, but my first priority is getting it out of the bunker and onto the green. 

Like others have mentioned, I take my highest lofted club, 60 degree, and take a pretty big swing and hit just behind the ball and splash it out. It might be helpful if you have a practice area that has a bunker you can practice in. In practice, I draw a line about an inch behind the ball and I focus on hitting that line with the club and then making the full follow through. Obviously you cant do that in a round, but for practice seeing the line in the same helped me visualize where I wanted to make contact with the sand. 

During rounds now, I create that same line behind the ball in my head and try to pick out a dirt spec or piece of sand that I want to hit and then just make my swing.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

First it depends on the type of wedge you have. With out sufficient bounce it's gets more difficult to have the club not dig into the sand. When you chunk a few you'll start blading a few. Also, it could be your technique.

I would open the clubface up, and focus on trying to get the club to glide under the ball. Don't try to pound the sand, or pick it clean. You ideally want to strike about half an inch behind the ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have a pretty good sand game.  I recently took a lesson just on sand shots, it was the best money I spent on golf this year.  My goal used to be just to get out.  If a ball was heading toward a bunker I would hope it would end up in the rough.  I don't feel that way now.  I would prefer to be in the bunker.  I can get a better result over time out of the bunker.

I will try and summarize briefly what I was taught. 

Ball in the middle of your stance.

Slightly open your stance

Aim left of target

Open the club up (more than you think)  Unless it is a long shot I use my 58 degree wedge

Hit 2-1/2 inches behind the ball, holding the face open.  This will product a ball that will run but it is consistent.  As you get closer to the ball it produces more spin but creates more risk ie thinning it.

You have to judge the sand, wet sand plays firmer and the ball will go further with less effort. Fine, powdery sand requires a harder swing.  If I am in a deep bunker or I need to land it very softly I will open the 58 all the way and swing pretty hard.  The only way to get good at this is get in a bunker and hit lots of shots.  If the course is open I suggest you experiment.  When hitting a sand shot I don't look at the ball I look at the spot 2-1/2" behind it.  

Good luck!  Getting confident out of the sand changes the game.  Figure it out!

Edited by inthecup

Others have touched on the technique pretty well, so the only thing I'll add is that I play with my weight slightly favoring my lead leg.

The only time I really struggle with bunker shots is with wet firm sand. Most of the courses I play don't seem to have good drainage in the bunkers so the sand can get pretty packed (the kind where running a rake through it just draws lines). I can't get deep enough into the sand sometimes and I'll launch it over the green.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

Others have touched on the technique pretty well, so the only thing I'll add is that I play with my weight slightly favoring my lead leg.

The only time I really struggle with bunker shots is with wet firm sand. Most of the courses I play don't seem to have good drainage in the bunkers so the sand can get pretty packed (the kind where running a rake through it just draws lines). I can't get deep enough into the sand sometimes and I'll launch it over the green.

Really hard sand is difficult.  It takes commitment to swing hard and go deep!  Sometime "bad things happen".  My home course had a period where the sand got thin.  So I thin layer on top of clay.  That was difficult.  Bad things happened regularly as the club skipped off the clay.

1 minute ago, inthecup said:

Really hard sand is difficult.  It takes commitment to swing hard and go deep!  Sometime "bad things happen".  My home course had a period where the sand got thin.  So I thin layer on top of clay.  That was difficult.  Bad things happened regularly as the club skipped off the clay.

It's funny because I can play fried egg lies. Hard sand? No thanks. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 hours ago, saevel25 said:

First it depends on the type of wedge you have. With out sufficient bounce it's gets more difficult to have the club not dig into the sand. When you chunk a few you'll start blading a few. Also, it could be your technique.

I would open the clubface up, and focus on trying to get the club to glide under the ball. Don't try to pound the sand, or pick it clean. You ideally want to strike about half an inch behind the ball.

You think that little?  I aim about 1 inch behind which is less than the 2 inches that I often see in golf literature.  Perhaps you should first touch sand about an inch back but the club only enters the sand 1/2 inch back?

You can also try putting it out if the lip allows.  A couple times I’ve used a hybrid instead to get a little more pop.   Often with success, but not on this one shot I had the other week:

I was in a bunker about 30 yards from the green on a par 5.  That is a pretty tough bunker length, probably 40 yards from the pin, and I saw that the lip was smoothe at right about the correct line to the hole.  Now I didn’t necessarily think this was the best idea and I’ve never practice it, but I thought it would be possible and really fun to roll the ball super fast and let it take the jump off the lip like Evel Knievel and hopeful land on the green.

I decided to use my 3 hybrid rather than my putter since I really needed some speed.  Unfortunately the ball got way more airborne than I expected and hit the wall of the bunker hard so it didn’t roll much.  It did still end up trickling out so I was able to chip on and 2-putt for bogey :mellow:.  So the lesson is... next time I think I’ll try using driver to get it rolling sooner.  :banana:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, allenc said:

You think that little?  I aim about 1 inch behind which is less than the 2 inches that I often see in golf literature.  Perhaps you should first touch sand about an inch back but the club only enters the sand 1/2 inch back?

I'm not entirely positive, but I know its way closer than most. It might be closer to an inch behind the ball. It's definitely not 2 inches. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Attached is a compilation of  Pete Cowan, the top Euro Tour Instructor, on bunker play. See first 6 minutes for basics, then go to 15:40 for troubling lies

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I used to play the ball off my front foot.  That can work but I think it is a more difficult approach.  If you think about it that produces the opportunity to thin it which is the biggest risk to a big score.

35 minutes ago, inthecup said:

I used to play the ball off my front foot.  That can work but I think it is a more difficult approach.  If you think about it that produces the opportunity to thin it which is the biggest risk to a big score.

I open my stance and the blade when in bunkers, but vary where I put the ball in my stance.  If I want the ball to fly higher I leave the ball in the middle of stance.  If I want the ball to go lower, but run further on the green I play in back in my stance.

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

3 hours ago, inthecup said:

The idea is to use the bounce - put ball in the middle and catch the leading edge. BUT if you put ball forward, weight forward, relax the arms, use a good tempo, feel as if the back of the sole hits the sand first, AND have the clubhead pass the hands, you get a good glide.

Typically, the thin results from being tight and poor tempo.

I've given you gold with Pete Cowen - view it about a dozen times and relax during the swing and use the tips above.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 2393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!