IGNORED

Why Am I Breaking Driver Shafts at Hosel?!

SupaR6

13 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I have to agree with this. I have never, or ever seen someone, bust a shaft simply by hitting a ball! I have seen guys snap the shaft by slamming or throwing the club into the ground after a poor shot. Perhaps there was some pre-snap "abuse" of the club?

Trust me, it happens and not due to abuse. I broke a brand new macGregor 3 iron on the very first swing at the driving range after pops bought me the clubs. On my downswing, the head flew off as soon as the ball was hit.The ball bounded about ten feet to the right, the head about 10 yards to the left.

The driver I posted above was about 15 years old and never abused. It was my all time favorite club so it was well cared for and I am too cheap to bust clubs out of childish fits of rage. The club also hadn't been used in a decade, then maybe 20 strikes this summer, just as the OP said, head dangling off strands of graphite.

The guy who is repairing it has had a hell of a time extracting the shaft from the hosel, too.

33 minutes ago, satchmodog said:

The guy who is repairing it has had a hell of a time extracting the shaft from the hosel, too.

Not really, the club heads are held in a hosel jig and clamped tight and most club repair guys use a drill press for precise drilling.
A dremel tool clean cuts the old shaft flush before the club head is bored.

A home repair with an electric drill is more challenging but often done by many.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Club Rat said:

Not really, the club heads are held in a hosel jig and clamped tight and most club repair guys use a drill press for precise drilling.
A dremel tool clean cuts the old shaft flush before the club head is bored.

A home repair with an electric drill is more challenging but often done by many.

He's got all that, has tried a heat gun and it still won't pull out. He is going to do the drill press next. This is not his first time removing a shaft, just the first time one has caused him serious grief.

11 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Question? Have the clubs been re-shafted, or are they stock shafts?

Stock shafts Club.  At least on the GBB and XR16.  I'm unsure about the Ping G SFT but I'm pretty sure it was stock as well.  I'll snap a pic but I know the XR16 had a Speeder Evo 565, stiff just from shopping replacements.

10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I have to agree with this. I have never, or ever seen someone, bust a shaft simply by hitting a ball! I have seen guys snap the shaft by slamming or throwing the club into the ground after a poor shot. Perhaps there was some pre-snap "abuse" of the club?

Buckeye, I could totally see abuse occurring in the GBB as I bought it used from Edwin Watts but the XR16 was new and wasn't my range rat.  Still, all three?  The odds seem to in someway, be more directed at me. :-) 

It's definitely not the club. . .there's no way a 105 to 110 mph swing can do this to a club on a proper strike. Hitting too close to the heel is very likely the culprit. That could be swing related, coming over the top, not setting up correctly, tensing the arms on the downswing, etc.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

10 hours ago, satchmodog said:

Trust me, it happens and not due to abuse. I broke a brand new macGregor 3 iron on the very first swing at the driving range after pops bought me the clubs. On my downswing, the head flew off as soon as the ball was hit.The ball bounded about ten feet to the right, the head about 10 yards to the left.

The driver I posted above was about 15 years old and never abused. It was my all time favorite club so it was well cared for and I am too cheap to bust clubs out of childish fits of rage. The club also hadn't been used in a decade, then maybe 20 strikes this summer, just as the OP said, head dangling off strands of graphite.

Yeah Satch, I don't get too frustrated either, mostly because I've only been playing a few months so I expect that I'll suck but I'm also seeing rewards from lots of practice and drill based instruction.  I also just pick up my high loft wedges and slow down when I can't hit a long club.  

I could personally accept hitting hotels three times in a row (almost) breaking three expensive clubs but the first driver I've ever owned, my Callaway Razr X Black, was my abuse club.  It's what I learned my swing on at the range, struck ground, hosel, air and just about everything else.  It's also the only driver I still have alive.  Lol.  It's taken abuse from three relatively new golfers and lots of it.

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It's definitely not the club. . .there's no way a 105 to 110 mph swing can do this to a club on a proper strike. Hitting too close to the heel is very likely the culprit. That could be swing related, coming over the top, not setting up correctly, tensing the arms on the downswing, etc.

Yeah Lihu, I agree, just wish I knew which of those it was so I could work on that part and feel comfortable buying something new as I really want a controlled drive.  I think tensing my back and downswing, feel to me, like they need work.  I went and hit off a GCQ yesterday and it showed me more that I just need consistency.  A Skytrack and/or some kind of SIM that shows club/ball data may be in my near future.  At least, before a $500 driver.

10 hours ago, satchmodog said:

He's got all that, has tried a heat gun and it still won't pull out. He is going to do the drill press next. This is not his first time removing a shaft, just the first time one has caused him serious grief.

Maybe the grief is that he thinks a heat gun is going to help him with a break at the hosel.  It has to be step drilled.

9 minutes ago, SupaR6 said:

Yeah Lihu, I agree, just wish I knew which of those it was so I could work on that part and feel comfortable buying something new as I really want a controlled drive.  I think tensing my back and downswing, feel to me, like they need work.  I went and hit off a GCQ yesterday and it showed me more that I just need consistency.  A Skytrack and/or some kind of SIM that shows club/ball data may be in my near future.  At least, before a $500 driver.

Try different setups using some Dr. Scholls. If you are hitting the same spot, there are probably some mechanics issues. $1000 into clubs is definitely more expensive than a good $100 lesson. Would you consider taking a lesson?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Try different setups using some Dr. Scholls. If you are hitting the same spot, there are probably some mechanics issues. $1000 into clubs is definitely more expensive than a good $100 lesson. Would you consider taking a lesson?

Yeah, I'm going to grab some Scholls on my way to the range this morning and get to spraying. :-)  I appreciate that feedback.

I'd definitely consider lessons and they're in my plan for the immediate.  I've honestly just struggled a bit finding a good teacher that isn't booked through the end of the year but I know it's needed.  I'm also building out a practice area in my garage and trying to decide on a practice SIM.  Something that is actually useful for improving my game and maybe a side game for those days we can't play.  Something not $20k but $5k and under.

Just now, SupaR6 said:

Yeah, I'm going to grab some Scholls on my way to the range this morning and get to spraying. :-)  I appreciate that feedback.

I'd definitely consider lessons and they're in my plan for the immediate.  I've honestly just struggled a bit finding a good teacher that isn't booked through the end of the year but I know it's needed.  I'm also building out a practice area in my garage and trying to decide on a practice SIM.  Something that is actually useful for improving my game and maybe a side game for those days we can't play.  Something not $20k but $5k and under.

I'd guess that if it's a swing issue that all your clubs might suffer from heel type shots? You might try using your longest iron or a hearty FW wood or even a hybrid to check your swing? Those clubs are struck flat rather than down like your shorter irons, and could possibly emulate what you are doing with driver without damaging another driver?

Regardless, manufacturers tend to replace the drivers for free. You might possibly need to pay for shipping from the store where you purchased them?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

I'd guess that if it's a swing issue that all your clubs might suffer from heel type shots? You might try using your longest iron or a hearty FW wood or even a hybrid to check your swing? Those clubs are struck flat rather than down like your shorter irons, and could possibly emulate what you are doing with driver without damaging another driver?

Regardless, manufacturers tend to replace the drivers for free. You might possibly need to pay for shipping from the store where you purchased them?

Honestly, I feel like I'm hitting a little of everything.  When at the range off mats, I tend to graze the bottom which I can tell from the feedback of the rubber tee's.  When on the course/grass, I tend to top the ball.  I have noticed my heel shots as the ball direction is unmistakable.  Off to the left, sharp and extremely short and low.  I hit far better shots with my Hybrids than almost any club.  Then my wedges, then irons.  Driver, the least well.  I think I'm trying too many setup and swing techniques almost trying too many corrections.  I over pivot a bit and struggle with stable feet tending to come up on the ball of my left foot.  I played baseball for nearly 14 years so I'm trying to keep from feeling like I'm stepping (or want to step).

So, my next real question... is it worth it to try and replace the shafts if the manufacturer ignores me?  I never really hit the GBB as I'd just bought it.  The XR16 definitely felt the best, went the longest and gave me the most confidence.  The Ping G SFT, I also didn't hit more than a few times but I enjoyed it.  I'll try and post some pics of the leftovers and driver murder scene.  "Driver-homicide" is going to be my new nickname. :-)  Thanks Lihu!

3 hours ago, pgone said:

Maybe the grief is that he thinks a heat gun is going to help him with a break at the hosel.  It has to be step drilled.

He has a puller that screws down into the shaft and pulls it from the hostel. He's put new heads and shafts on well over 100 clubs and this is the first true problem he's had. The heat gun generally softens the epoxy enough for extraction. 

Get some foot powder and spray the face to help determine your point of contact. Maybe that will help.

I've broken two driver shafts in rapid progression, but they were prototypes and broken in the same place - It turns out they had a bad lot. These days, most shafts are well designed and made, and I could not break a well designed ladies shaft. But I'm slow tempo and smooth.

Maybe you should check contact and get fit for a shaft.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On 9/22/2017 at 9:46 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

I have done this once. However it was back in my college days when I was quite strong and swung like a gorilla. Club head came clean off at the hosel with an impressive snap. It was my dad's driver (wonderful) and I think it was a Titleist head but I remember it being an Aldila shaft. When I showed the pro the remains of the club he something about the shaft being too long with too much flex for my swing speed. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 2 years later...

i broke 2 ping g410 shaft right in the middle just in 1 week period, first one is the demo club and the second the new one i bought for my guilty feeling : p cos i broke the first one, someone have the experience broke the shaft in the middle?? cos the crews in golfshop dont know what went wrong, i,ve play about 10 year and my swing speed round 90-100..and this is the first time i broke a shaft... 

It happened to me once. A callaway hawkeye. My first own driver. Believe it was third strike on the driving range and the clubhead flew 50 metres forward in a great low spin trajectory. I then learned that this particular model was notorious to break like this. Amazing that this happens on an object where you are supposed to hit solid objects at great speed with.

I broke my Callaway XR16 last year after a very solid tee shot that didn’t touch the ground! I had that driver for 3 years and I mainly make contact with the ball closer to the heel and I hit at least 50 drives every day for 3 years. I was told it was age, overuse and “too soft” a flex (women’s shaft) that caused the snap. I have since purchased new drivers and changed to men’s shaft.