IGNORED

Centurion golf clubs? Has anyone tried them?

Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

$211 for a 4-PW set of irons, eh?

Sometimes you get what you pay for, and I'm thinking this is one of those times.

(Not that clubs are inherently "worth" $1000 4-PW, either.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldnt buy them for this reason alone. First they have $993.97 crossed out to display $211.00. Then upon clicking on the iron it actually shows $399.97 crossed out and displaying the $211?? No thanks. Seems misleading. Have they ever sold these irons for $993.97? Doubt it. Have they sold them for $399.97, maybe. 

Centurion.thumb.png.a6cc4a5ca8c63162f28853d17f590743.png

That being said, you could always try them out, in their FAQ section it looks like they offer a 60 day return policy, would only cost you around $40 if you decided you absolutely hated them and wanted to return them. 

Honestly with most of the other clubs, you can find a couple year old slightly used model of top name brand clubs for similar prices. Example, you can get a used Taylormade Aeroburner 3 wood slightly used for less than their 3 wood. You can get something like a Cleveland RTX 2.0 or Callaway MD2 wedge for similar prices as the Centurion wedges.

If you do decide to order one, be sure to give it a review and let us know your thoughts!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Because I am most often a single golfer, I end up playing with a lot of senior golfers just because there are a lot of retiree's in my area.  This past weekend a really nice gentleman told me how he bought these online, ended up not liking them more than his current set, so called the company to arrange a return.  They offered to lower the price to $200, and then $100 dollars when he declined. He still sent them back.

While this doesn't necessarily provide an accurate assessment of the club's performance, it does perhaps give an indication of the quality of work and materials used if they are willing to let them go for $100. Alternatively, they are awesome and perhaps the manufacturer just wants to get some out on the market for greater visibility. My guess is the former.

Thank you guys, this really does help.  Like I said I haven't really heard of them before and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.

I thought it was weird that there weren't many reviews out there with these clubs.  I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because they are a rather new company. 

From what I understand, most golf club's are made in China by one company. The entire golf industry would fit into a small to medium factory there including shoes and clothing. Even the factories I go to are considered small at over 1 million sq. feet.

It's the design and customer support that differentiates the club's more than materials or workmanship. 

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

11 hours ago, Native Golfer said:

It looks like it's a fairly new company, starting just this year, and I'm interested in possibly purchasing a club or two from them. The only issue is that they don't have much of reviews on their site.

You are classed as a newbie: not sure if your new to golf, or just new to TST. 

If you have been playing awhile, and already have clubs, you might try out a used Centurion club or two. If it doesn't work out, return it to the golf shop for a store credit.

If you're looking for a set of regular clubs to play, spend a few more $$ and get some clubs with a track record. Find a good golf shop, and tell them you want some used clubs. The better shops have all the data on a specific set (lie angle, shaft length), and can help you find some used clubs that will work for you. A good clubsmith can tweak the clubs slightly to ensure a good fit.

If you go chasing cheap clubs, you can waste a season playing around with something that just won't work for you. Think of a decent set as an investment, not just a cost.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

11 minutes ago, Lihu said:

From what I understand, most golf club's are made in China by one company.

Simply not true. Many of the clubhead foundries are in China, but others are located in Taiwan and Japan. Shafts are manufactured in multiple countries; the majority of True Temper steel shafts are manufactured in a 325,000 square foot building in Armory, Mississippi. Golf grips are made in many countries.

Next comes club assembly. During the early 2000s China cornered the market on non-USA club assembly. Since about 2014, however, Mexico has re-entered club assembly, and Vietnam has joined in. Also, USA factories continue to assemble components into finished golf clubs.

If you want to know the story of a golf club, look at the origin tag on the shaft. For example, the tag from a 10-year-old Slotline putter I bought last November:

• Head China
  • Shaft Taiwan
  • Assembly USA
  • Informative 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

10 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Simply not true. Many of the clubhead foundries are in China, but others are located in Taiwan and Japan. Shafts are manufactured in multiple countries; the majority of True Temper steel shafts are manufactured in a 325,000 square foot building in Armory, Mississippi. Golf grips are made in many countries.

Next comes club assembly. During the early 2000s China cornered the market on non-USA club assembly. Since about 2014, however, Mexico has re-entered club assembly, and Vietnam has joined in. Also, USA factories continue to assemble components into finished golf clubs.

If you want to know the story of a golf club, look at the origin tag on the shaft. For example, the tag from a 10-year-old Slotline putter I bought last November:

• Head China
  • Shaft Taiwan
  • Assembly USA

Good to know, thanks.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, klineka said:

I wouldnt buy them for this reason alone. First they have $993.97 crossed out to display $211.00. Then upon clicking on the iron it actually shows $399.97 crossed out and displaying the $211?? No thanks. Seems misleading. Have they ever sold these irons for $993.97? Doubt it. Have they sold them for $399.97, maybe. 

although I have the same reservations, the disparity in the two different crossed out prices might be simply they noticed transpositions of the numbers,  but I would doubt I would give them benefit of same.   ( 993/339 uses same numbers). 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

27 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

although I have the same reservations, the disparity in the two different crossed out prices might be simply they noticed transpositions of the numbers,  but I would doubt I would give them benefit of same.   ( 993/339 uses same numbers). 

Also came across this sentence too. I'm assuming a typo. So let's assume both instances are simply typos. IMO, that is terrible. The website is relatively simple, not that much complexity or that many total pages (not that there is anything wrong with a simple design) But that just shows lack of attention to detail. If you cant even do something as simple as proofread/UAT on your website, what makes me think your clubs are any good? 

If the only way you reach the market is through your website, wouldn't you think it should be as correct as possible since the site is where all of your sales will happen?

error.thumb.png.c5b9d1d26c070e26c762941f67855616.png

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Not that this makes much sense, but the $993.97 and $339.97 difference is due to difference in prices based on shaft flex.  The stiff set says that it once sold for $993.97, while the regular flex states that it was originally $339.97.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Just send your social security number and bank account information to the Nigerian based company and your order will be promptly processed.

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

We came across this thread, and wanted to stop by, and weigh in. 

First, thanks for all of the feedback, we appreciate it, and yes, that $993 price for irons was definitely a mix up!  :8)

A bit about us, we did open up shop in 2017, and our main goal was to provide high quality/high performing clubs at a budget friendly price point.  All of our clubs use the industry standard materials as the big boys, but we are able to sell them at a much lower price point because we are not spending millions on marketing/player endorsements, and do not have a retail markup to drive up prices.  These were tested extensively over a 2 year period, and we can say that they have been transformative addition to many players' bags. 

Pricing, we made our pricing decision in the fall of last year, and the primary motivation is more happy customers, more word of mouth, etc.  We are certainly not going to get rich doing this, but that was never really the motivation.  It was really about offering a high quality club, at a budget friendly price point.  For that reason, we will not likely be compared to any of the top end offerings from big brands, but without naming any names for legal reasons, we displaced some very high end clubs in bags in 2017, and look forward to more people joining the team in 2018. 

We are also a very customer friendly brand, and we only had 1, yes one club returned in 2017.  It happened in November, so I can only assume that the reference above to a club being returned in September may have actually been a different company.  We have also not done any negotiating to get people to keep clubs they did not like. 

Also, we will say that our clubs are made in the same place, with the same machines, people, as top end offerings from other companies that cost 6x as much in some instances.  Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you get far more, sometimes you get less, we know that we are at the right end of the spectrum in that case. 

We would love for anyone here to give us a shot, start with a wedge, we know that you will be scratching your head wondering "How is this possible at this price point?".  That, is why we do it! 

Please feel free to reach out to us at our site, Instagram, or Facebook with any questions.  We would be honored to have any of your business, and maybe we can turn this thread around!  :-D

-Centurion Golf Team

On 9/27/2017 at 9:50 AM, Eric C said:

Because I am most often a single golfer, I end up playing with a lot of senior golfers just because there are a lot of retiree's in my area.  This past weekend a really nice gentleman told me how he bought these online, ended up not liking them more than his current set, so called the company to arrange a return.  They offered to lower the price to $200, and then $100 dollars when he declined. He still sent them back.

While this doesn't necessarily provide an accurate assessment of the club's performance, it does perhaps give an indication of the quality of work and materials used if they are willing to let them go for $100. Alternatively, they are awesome and perhaps the manufacturer just wants to get some out on the market for greater visibility. My guess is the former.

I spoke with a representative of Centurion Golf and he believes the gentleman you spoke to must be mistaken. Apparently they opened up shop in 2017 and only had one return the entire year, in November.

So maybe he returned a club from a different company and misremembered?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

So maybe he returned a club from a different company and misremembered?

Entirely possible. Also possible the rep wouldn't want to provide accurate information regarding customers returning equipment.  I have no information with which to dispute the claim, but I would be seriously impressed with any merchandiser selling anything that had that low of a return rate.

Very generally, you get what you pay for.

2 hours ago, Eric C said:

Entirely possible. Also possible the rep wouldn't want to provide accurate information regarding customers returning equipment.  I have no information with which to dispute the claim, but I would be seriously impressed with any merchandiser selling anything that had that low of a return rate.

The rep seemed genuinely interested in repairing the company's reputation. As I have nothing but my interactions with him to go by, I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt. I've seen how other companies in the past have tried to use shills and shady marketing tactics in order to promote their products and this was not the case, here.

3 hours ago, Eric C said:

Very generally, you get what you pay for.

I have a whole list of thoughts on this that I'm not going to get into here, but as it pertains to the topic, I honestly have no idea. I have no experience with these clubs (in fact I just found out they existed only yesterday).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 7 months later...

I ordered and got a set of Centurion Irons and a 56 degree wedge. I was skeptical since they were very inexpensive. Boy was I surprised. They are great. I was hitting them on the range and one of the guys that works at our club, a scratch golfer, came by and I had him hit a few clubs. He was amazed. First, they are soft and the oversized grips are just right. The only thing is the clubs have a black finish that after the range session had some signs of wear on the wedge, and believe that they will wear like my Nike Vapor Fly Pro irons did, maybe less. Seriously, the guy that said you get what you pay for is normally right, but not on the Centurion irons. I just bought 3 sets, a full set of wedges, a 5 wood and a putter for less than $500 shipped!

Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!