IGNORED

Clip towels

Note: This thread is 1995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was reading today that clip towels are now considered lame. Am I just late to the party? When did this happen? Anybody here quit using them? If so why? And what we supposed to use now? Smaller towels and just lay them across the bag in between clubs? What the hell happened that made clip towels lame?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Anybody here quit using them? "

Not me... in fact I always have two towels. A large one on the bag to wipe the club grips when wet or the sweat from my arms. I also nave a small microfiber towel on my left side belt loop all the time to wipe the face of the club or whatever.

Both are secured by a modified BMW floor mat clip from years ago. I remove the sharp pointed hook portion and retain the clip portion the "bites" into the floor mat. (that way I can quickly change towels when necessary), I then add a small key "split ring" and a carabiner.

It sounds stupid but, It works for me.

**when there's a break in the rain.. I'll go out to my truck and take a picture of it**

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

They were always lame. ;-) 

Full size bath towel.  Half wet and half dry.  

Since it's not attached, it goes where you go, not where your bag goes.  Including the green, do you can clean your ball before you putt...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Here you go.. the gray one in my hand is the small microfiber towel.

Again, I know it's rather stupid but, I just find it convenient to simply bring the club head up to my left side and wipe off the wet grass, etc after a practice swing or shot. Or wipe the golf ball off.

Towel clips.jpg

Edited by CT207

Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

@CT207 So you make a full swing with a towel on your hip?

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

55 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Since it's not attached, it goes where you go, not where your bag goes.  Including the green, do you can clean your ball before you putt...

I normally pack a tea towel, much cheaper than a golf specific one and does the same job. Those tacky souvenier ones, of the "Greetings from Ireland" kind, are great as using them for golf means they actually get used and not hidden in a drawer and a free courtesy of the wifes Nana . Do get the odd funny look though!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

20 minutes ago, amished said:

Yes, and it doesn't interfere at all.  It's small, the same micro fiber towel used for polishing a car, maybe 12" x 12". It's light enough that I don't even know if it's there. I have them in many different colors too should the need to color coordinate is necessary.

I never carry my wallet or the cell phone on me though.. THAT bugs me when swinging. LOL

42 minutes ago, RussUK said:

I normally pack a tea towel, much cheaper than a golf specific one and does the same job. Those tacky souvenier ones, of the "Greetings from Ireland" kind, are great as using them for golf means they actually get used and not hidden in a drawer and a free courtesy of the wifes Nana . Do get the odd funny look though!

LOL... A guy in our foursome with has one of those!!!!

Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro

11 minutes ago, CT207 said:

LOL... A guy in our foursome with has one of those!!!!

So im not completely mad then? :-D

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

6 hours ago, David in FL said:

I was thinking the same thing. All those towels with the little clip in the corner I get as tee prizes in tournaments make great kitchen hand towels. Not sure about the full size bath towel though, seems like a bit much. I have three Players Towels that I rotate, they are 22x40 one half wet the other half dry. 

5 hours ago, amished said:

I have seen people do this, it would drive me bonkers to have a towel dangling from my belt loop. That's why god gave me hands, so I can carry my golf towel onto the green to wipe off my ball.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

battery operated hair dryer...(not really)..

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Clip towel on the bag (and my litte wire club brush is destroying it).

If I need to clean a ball on the green....that's what a shirt is for

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill - 

47 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I have seen people do this, it would drive me bonkers to have a towel dangling from my belt loop. That's why god gave me hands, so I can carry my golf towel onto the green to wipe off my ball.

LOL... With all the wind out there I can understand why. I've played in NM several times and probably will a lot more times. On many occasions I had to chase my hat or the scorecard along a fairway. Oh, and the golf ball in flight does strange things too.

Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro

I clip to my belt loop and tuck in back pocket so it's not blowing around in the wind. I only use a clip towel during the Lift & Clean/Local Rule. In Oregon that's basically from November-April.

I've seen the little ones people have that commemorate tournaments and such, but mine is purely functional microfiber.

Who cares what people think about your towels. They're for you to use, how you see fit. If someone wants to pay my green fee and buy me lunch they can say whatever they want. Otherwise they can shove it up their culo.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CT207 said:

LOL... With all the wind out there I can understand why. I've played in NM several times and probably will a lot more times. On many occasions I had to chase my hat or the scorecard along a fairway. Oh, and the golf ball in flight does strange things too.

Thats just in the spring, Albuquerque weather is the best!

:offtopic:Sorry!  

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

8 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Who cares what people think about your towels. They're for you to use, how you see fit. If someone wants to pay my green fee and buy me lunch they can say whatever they want. 

Well its a golf forum so on occasion people on here will give their opinions and say what they want. ;-)

9 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

I Otherwise they can shove it up their culo.

Not nice, and not helping you look less dorky with a towel hooked to your belt. :whistle:

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

I was thinking the same thing. All those towels with the little clip in the corner I get as tee prizes in tournaments make great kitchen hand towels. Not sure about the full size bath towel though, seems like a bit much. I have three Players Towels that I rotate, they are 22x40 one half wet the other half dry. 

Dave uses it to snap his playing partner in the butt if he misses a putt during a team match. He starts to make a "rat tail" as his partner winds up for his putt. The half wet part should have tipped you off. . . :-D

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've never been a huge fan of the full size towels that you snake through your clubs. They fall out, they get tangled, they make it harder to put clubs away and take out. 

I have three towels that I clip on to the side of my bag. I always know exactly where they are. Never had any issues or reason to change. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

3 minutes ago, jamo said:

I've never been a huge fan of the full size towels that you snake through your clubs. They fall out, they get tangled, they make it harder to put clubs away and take out. 

I have three towels that I clip on to the side of my bag. I always know exactly where they are. Never had any issues or reason to change. 

What snake?  If you're carrying, you just drape it over the club heads.  I was taught to do that when I started caddying 40 years ago.  You'll note most pro caddies do the same today.  Riding, it gets tossed in the rear basket.

To each his own though.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!