IGNORED

OnCore Genius Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 2379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This could open endless possibilities for the golf industries.

A golf ball with GPS embedded in it? OnCore Golf wasn’t going to just stop there given its patented core technologies -- the upstart company has plans in place to produce golf’s first Genius Ball.

GeniusBall-w_shadow_preview.jpg

With the goal of delivering more than a “smart ball” that golfers won’t lose in the woods, OnCore leveraged its unconventional core technology and unique materials experience to embed high-performance electronics within the ball itself. The Buffalo, New York-based company, known originally for its innovative hollow metal core ball, in August was issued a U.S. patent covering the construction of a high-strength and high-stiffness core that can house sensitive electronics and withstand the high speed impact of a golf club.

The result: a golf ball that will capture and transmit data directly to a mobile device – in real time. OnCore’s Genius Ball will track the ball’s performance and statistics on every shot, from distance and height to ball velocity and course location that’s accurate to within a foot.

"We're confident that what a launch monitor can do for a golfer on the driving range is what the Genius Ball will do on every hole and for every shot," says OnCore Golf co-founder Bret Blakely. "Golfers crave technology and information, and our new 'Ball with a Brain' will deliver both."

The Genius Ball is already in the works. OnCore plans to have a fully functional prototype for demonstration at the PGA Show in January 2018. Full manufacturing would begin shortly afterward, with the goal of a commercial launch as soon as Father’s Day in June.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting.  I'll look forward to hearing how they actually incorporate the technology.

Current rules prohibitions notwithstanding, I still imagine the price point would render it impractical for on-course use though.  Even relatively simple, less expensive RFID chipped balls haven't been able to compete.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• iacas changed the title to OnCore Genius Golf Ball
2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Interesting.  I'll look forward to hearing how they actually incorporate the technology.

Current rules prohibitions notwithstanding, I still imagine the price point would render it impractical for on-course use though.  Even relatively simple, less expensive RFID chipped balls haven't been able to compete.

The problem is, we will still lose the ball, so the value isn't there if the ball is too expensive.

I see more promise in the data it can gather than the GPS technology's ability to prevent lost balls. This of course depends solely on whether they can get it to perform like a premium ball instead of some limited-flight range rock, because if they can't give accurate numbers then their usefulness is diminished somewhat. 

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If the tech can be done on the cheap they would make good range balls. Everyone could know how far they hit it etc. just basic stuff, not the amount of data trackman gives. Maybe in 10 years or so it would be viable.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

maybe not so much for flight data, but having a chip inside where you could find a lost ball much in the same manner as you could locate a misplaced cell phone or as your car in a parking lot.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

21 minutes ago, billchao said:

The problem is, we will still lose the ball, so the value isn't there if the ball is too expensive.

I see more promise in the data it can gather than the GPS technology's ability to prevent lost balls. This of course depends solely on whether they can get it to perform like a premium ball instead of some limited-flight range rock, because if they can't give accurate numbers then their usefulness is diminished somewhat. 

Exactly.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

no matter which direction they take it, would not be practical given how long does a golf ball last even if never lost.  Still an interesting concept.

• Like 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

no matter which direction they take it, would not be practical given how long does a golf ball last even if never lost.  Still an interesting concept.

Right. Not losing a golf ball isn't a huge problem (and who cares if the GPS chip tells you it's down a ravine or in the middle of a big pond)… because golf balls wear out. If the average golf ball lasts 8 holes now either by loss of wear, and these balls wear out after 20 holes but they're 4x more expensive… the math doesn't work.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

With leaves starting to drop off the trees, was thinking this weekend it sure would be nice if golf balls had some kind of sensor to find them.  

Had a few holes this weekend we could not find balls in the middle of the fairway, but knew more or less where they were.  

Would probably be quite expensive.

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

What kind of g-forces are experienced near the core?

I remember working on some commercial projects where sustained 80gs were not very easy to accomplish in commercial goods especially a golf ball. There's going to be a need for a 1.575GHz antenna, as well as some transmitter of sorts and a battery and charging coil. Even if everything is integrated into a single chip there are some outside components that could experience crushing forces?

They must be suspending the IC in a flex circuit in a spherical hard shell plastic core so it can bounce around a bit inside that shell to take off some of the initial shock or something?

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

unless it's price comparable, I don't see the point.  But that's not really personally applicable to me (I found a couple hundred last weekend, 27 of which were like new ProVs - so I don't worry too much about price or losing balls)

the info comes from the ball - balls wear out, you can lose balls in places where you can't go find them, the sensor is something that makes the manufacture and performance optis more complicated

vs

the info travels with the player - already exists in things like taking notes during a round, the next step is stuff like game golf which also exists, as for the next step - ball spin and flight detailed info - I suspect we are likely getting closer and closer to an app doing trackman-like stuff (which I'd think is the end goal along with a data processing application to present and use the info).  And you don't lose those kinds of things with a wild shot

now, if the implant can be used to steer the ball in flight.......

however, if, next year, I find one of these in a ravine or the woods, it's going on the logo rack.  if I find two, I'm cutting one open

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

6 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

unless it's price comparable, I don't see the point.  But that's not really personally applicable to me (I found a couple hundred last weekend, 27 of which were like new ProVs - so I don't worry too much about price or losing balls)

What did you do about the 100s of golfers chasing you?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

16 minutes ago, Lihu said:

What did you do about the 100s of golfers chasing you?

Spoiler

A bit off topic

It was drizzling and I had the entire course to myself other than the SUPER slow 4 some in front which was far enough in front of me I only caught on 18 (thankfully, I waited a good 15 minutes just to tee off and then again to hit my second shot - "path only" is NOT an excuse to go THAT slow).  lots of ravines and woods and edges of ponds.  i like empty course play, easy to relax.  and the sun came out super nice right at the turn.

those are my favorite days - hit a shot, poke around in the woods, hit a shot.  even still, just under 4 hours, including the waits on 18.  Beautiful play when the trees are changing, always remember to stop and take a look.  This course is super gorgeous.

Busy days, I never get to find many balls, so that was fun.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

3 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

It was drizzling and I had the entire course to myself other than the SUPER slow 4 some in front which was far enough in front of me I only caught on 18 (thankfully, I waited a good 15 minutes just to tee off and then again to hit my second shot - "path only" is NOT an excuse to go THAT slow).  lots of ravines and woods and edges of ponds.  i like empty course play, easy to relax.  and the sun came out super nice right at the turn.

those are my favorite days - hit a shot, poke around in the woods, hit a shot.  even still, just under 4 hours, including the waits on 18.  Beautiful play when the trees are changing, always remember to stop and take a look.  This course is super gorgeous.

That is nice. I like that as well. There are some courses back east that are pretty empty like this on weekdays as well.

3 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Busy days, I never get to find many balls, so that was fun.

This is what I pictured, so the image I had was you being chased by 100s of golf carts. . . :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10 minutes ago, Lihu said:

This is what I pictured, so the image I had was you being chased by 100s of golf carts. . . :-D

Spoiler

Well, they shouldn't just abandon all the golf balls, on their carts, in their zippered bags, if they don't want them considered lost:-P.  I'm like the government, take the balls, then turn around and sell them back to them.  Two weeks ago I found one that a good friend from work plays - his ball, his marks, his personalization (B330's) - showed up and gave it back to him - told him to stay out of the woods (the guy is about a 2 handicap - best player I know).  It was MINT, yet he said it was from last year's or previous purchase.

My favorite course I played completely empty one day a year ago - apparently the guys in the pro-shop just watched my cart position on their office map system for the entire round.  "why'd you park so long on 14?"  I saw a group of deer and just went into the woods and watched them until they left.  what a great day.

If we want to continue, I'll take to PMs instead of this thread.  My bad for Off topic

Edited by rehmwa
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill - 

• Administrator

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-genius-ball

I may be wrong, but it looks like for $250 you get… one of these golf balls? The language says "GENiUS Ball Kit". You get some other things too - a hat and a dozen of their current balls. Even at their $500 level you basically just get a bag, and the language about what the "kit" includes is nowhere to be found.

Heck, it might not even include a ball, maybe it just includes the "ball finder" thing. Even the $25,000 option only includes 10% off your next GENiUS ball order. Sheesh!

Something says this won't reach its funding goal.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Someone told me today that the balls are going to be $25 apiece.

In other words, about what I pay for a dozen :snell: MTBs.

Note: This thread is 2379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!