Hacker James

working the ball easier with low lofted irons?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

I vaguely recall this being covered awhile back, but in my practice sessions I have noticed that I am able to hit an intentional draw or fade with the longer irons i.e. 3 or 4 iron. I have set up a little "wicket gate" about ten feet in front of my pitching station and am able to go around right, left, or through the wickets easier with them. The higher lifted clubs 9 and down, they all have a tendancy to go straight or curve "too much".  I seem to be able to hit the draw, easier than the fade. This in of itself is a little odd in that for years I hit mostly fades/slices . 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

That video is a blast from the past :-D

explains how I would always score very well in those aptitude as in seeking employment tests in the areas of reading comprehension, verbal reasoning, math (excellent), decision making, personality e.t.c., but did rather poorly in those linear progression tests where a number of shapes are displayed and you are asked to figure out what the next presentation should be. I guess its akin to spatial recognition or something. In any event, knowing that lower lofts are easier to shape is all I need for now.

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yep.

Easier to tilt the spin loft.

Ah, it was a video! I was going to respond and say you started a thread about it, but I couldn't find the thread so I gave up.

It's also why Bubba's wedge during the playoff in the 2012 Masters is so unbelievable. A 40 yard hook with a 52° wedge?!

9 hours ago, NM Golf said:

It's also why Bubba's wedge during the playoff in the 2012 Masters is so unbelievable. A 40 yard hook with a 52° wedge?!

As you know, nowhere near 52° loft at impact. If he was a righty, cutting the ball that much would have been nearly impossible.

11 hours ago, iacas said:

As you know, nowhere near 52° loft at impact. If he was a righty, cutting the ball that much would have been nearly impossible.

Agreed, but it was still a pretty hard shot especially off the pine straw and all. A right handed player would have had to punch out.

What bubba did there cant be taught. Sometimes theres just no substitute for freakish talent. Theres probably less than 100 people in the world that can spin a golf ball like that on demand. Im not a big curve guy, but I've noticed its easiest to work the ball (especially fades) with my hybrids. It just never occurs to me to try to work shot shapes with shorter clubs.  

5 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

What bubba did there cant be taught. Sometimes theres just no substitute for freakish talent. Theres probably less than 100 people in the world that can spin a golf ball like that on demand. Im not a big curve guy, but I've noticed its easiest to work the ball (especially fades) with my hybrids. It just never occurs to me to try to work shot shapes with shorter clubs.  

I may be totally wrong, but I believe that lefties adapt swings that are more than mirror images of what a right handed player does. Often times it looks (to me) that they have to do a lot more manipulation. This indeed is talent. Just look at the way a left handed person writes on a tablet, he/she seems to have to distort their hands in weird (to us right handers) positions looking as if they are writing upside down.  In the swing shown of Bubba, he uses a LOT of wrist action. It is even more apparent in a person that does only one task with the opposite hand, example, a person who does everything with his/her right hand, but perhaps swings a golf club or tennis racket with the left. Bubba is a phenom in many respects.

14 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

I may be totally wrong, but I believe that lefties adapt swings that are more than mirror images of what a right handed player does. Often times it looks (to me) that they have to do a lot more manipulation. This indeed is talent. Just look at the way a left handed person writes on a tablet, he/she seems to have to distort their hands in weird (to us right handers) positions looking as if they are writing upside down.  In the swing shown of Bubba, he uses a LOT of wrist action. It is even more apparent in a person that does only one task with the opposite hand, example, a person who does everything with his/her right hand, but perhaps swings a golf club or tennis racket with the left. Bubba is a phenom in many respects.

Bubba is known for curving the ball a lot. It's how he plays golf. The rest of your post seems like a bit if a reach.