IGNORED

importance of filming speed

Note: This thread is 2309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have read many of the threads regarding filming and speed necessary and realize that a high speed camera is necessary to see what is occurring at impact. My question is, how important is seeing impact?  Realizing this is very subjective. Many have stated that cameras or smart phone filming at even 60 fps are sufficient to observing angles, path, drawing lines and squares using appropriate software, lacking only the ability to slow the speed down enough so there is no blur.

Probably a tough question to answer. I am just trying to decide on an all around  solution for getting the right cell phone and do not wish to spend the money for both that and a high speed camera that would only be used for specific purposes. I have mentioned in other threads about the Motorola G4 which has only a 30fps video capability at normal speed, but does have adjustable shutter speeds and can provide 120 fps at slow motion speed.  I mention it again, as the price is right and the Moto has many of the same features of the higher priced Galaxy. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Hacker James said:

I have read many of the threads regarding filming and speed necessary and realize that a high speed camera is necessary to see what is occurring at impact. My question is, how important is seeing impact? 

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want to see if you are turning enough, have enough weight forward, or have a steady head then it is probably a good idea to be able to view impact. If you are looking at clubhead movement in the swing, maybe not as important.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I use a GoPro Hero 4 silver and it has been more than fine for recording video and working with my Evolvr coach. You can get one for pretty cheap too. Using 1080p mine goes up to 60 fps, but the Hero 4 black can go up to 120 fps at 1080p I believe. Models newer than the 4 would definitely work as well but obviously cost more.

I like the small form factor of the GoPro, I currently just use a small "Gorillapod" that I secure to the top of my golf bag and that seems to give me the perfect height to film my swings. When I'm not filming, the camera and Gorillapod fit in the side pocket of my golf bag no problem.

Plus I use the GoPro in my drone and attached to the boat while fishing.

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

iPhones and most other modern smart phones can give 120 and 240 fps. That will do for most needs. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

As @saevel25 mentioned, it depends on what you want to look at. Generally, large flaws like lateral sway are easy to spot even at normal speed, but higher framerate is required if you want to look at more subtle movements in the swing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

34 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want to see if you are turning enough, have enough weight forward, or have a steady head then it is probably a good idea to be able to view impact. If you are looking at clubhead movement in the swing, maybe not as important.

Yah, I generally know what I am after and actual clubhead movement while important, is not curcial.

19 minutes ago, klineka said:

I use a GoPro Hero 4 silver and it has been more than fine for recording video and working with my Evolvr coach. You can get one for pretty cheap too. Using 1080p mine goes up to 60 fps, but the Hero 4 black can go up to 120 fps at 1080p I believe. Models newer than the 4 would definitely work as well but obviously cost more.

If it were not for the fact that I am also in need of a cell phone, sounds like that would suffice.

13 minutes ago, billchao said:

As @saevel25 mentioned, it depends on what you want to look at. Generally, large flaws like lateral sway are easy to spot even at normal speed, but higher framerate is required if you want to look at more subtle movements in the swing.

I  also get that, I am not sure of which subtle movements are really necessary. Drawing head boxes, plane lines, provide that info and do not require much speed. 

I guess the query is just too subjective.  I believe most posters such as myself, kind of know what they want, but not necessarily what they need to know.  Its kind of like seeking affirmation of something you already know or suspect.

Oh well.

Thank you very much for your inputs, gives me something to think about.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

@Hacker James, cell phone is fine. I use mine. 120 is ok, 240 is better.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)
9 minutes ago, billchao said:

@Hacker James, cell phone is fine. I use mine. 120 is ok, 240 is better.

when you say 120, is that for normal speeds?  The reason I ask, is that in reading the specs on the Moto G4, it states only 30 fps front camera (I think), but in professional mode, you can manually select speed and they say 120 fps in slow motion. It also gives 16 megapixels.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

So I finally caved in and had to replace a cheap cell phone that I lost some weeks ago. The new has a camera of some kind, capable of video of some kind. May have to force my brother to the range to see what the thing can do as far as capturing my magnificent hack. Either way, I'd imagine it won't really be suitable for TST purposes.

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

So I finally caved in and had to replace a cheap cell phone that I lost some weeks ago. The new has a camera of some kind, capable of video of some kind. May have to force my brother to the range to see what the thing can do as far as capturing my magnificent hack. Either way, I'd imagine it won't really be suitable for TST purposes.

ha ha, good luck with that.  I am not really concerned about TST purposes, and do not intend nor have a desire for evolvr. Just need something for self analysis.

"James"

9 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

when you say 120, is that for normal speeds?  The reason I ask, is that in reading the specs on the Moto G4, it states only 30 fps front camera (I think), but in professional mode, you can manually select speed and they say 120 fps in slow motion. It also gives 16 megapixels.

Slow motion, yes.

Bill

My Swing Thread

@billchao, Okay, thanks

"James"

What application that you guys are using for record and analyzing video?

I am using V1 but the in app camera is not good and when I try to import the video I shot using my phone camera ( samsung galaxy note) it is just too big and often crashed.

• Administrator

The better the player, the more higher framerates helps.

I have some players where at 240 FPS we're looking at two or three frames. You'd completely miss those if you were recording at even 60 FPS.

Gross errors, like those made by higher handicappers, don't require as high an FPS typically.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

well, bit the bullet. Ordered a Motorola G5 + and should arrive today. I have been spending time on reading up on its features, and it sounds phenominal!  simple hand gestures turn camera off and on, change orientation, has professional settings to fool around with (aspect ratio, slow mo, ability to do screen shots and other stuff). 12 MP rear camera, 5 MP front, able to record 4g (whatever that is), 1080P HD.  One button navigation, fingerprint security, lots of stuff to spend idle hours attempting to learn. 

Cost of phone is $200 and with consumer cellular, monthly plan is $19 (limited voice), but can get unlimited for under $25 and add extra line for $15. I don't require much of a data plan nor do I text that much. Probably would use GPS Navigation from time to time as well as "OK Google".

now, where in the heck IS that delivery guy?

"James"

Note: This thread is 2309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!