IGNORED

Christmas presents

Ty_Webb
Note: This thread is 2310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Christmas presents  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Given the following options, what would you pick - assume you don't have any of them now

• Flightscope Mevo
    • Garmin Approach S60
    • Set of golf lessons
    • New driver
    • Something else?

Hi all,

You're probably aware that Christmas is upcoming. I'm trying to decide what I should ask for from my wife. Options in a poll above. Some further thoughts:

I really want to be able to figure out my wedge yardages with a few different swings and do the piece of paper on the underside of the shaft thing. I think the Mevo will be great for that, but the other thing I want to do is plot my shot patterns. Mevo can't do that, so I wonder if I might be better off holding off and saving up for a Xi or Xi+ instead.

I think the S60 could be quite useful, especially for figuring out carry yardages which my laser doesn't really help with that much. That and figuring the middle of the green from distance rather than lasering the flag. 

Who doesn't need lessons? 

Looking at a Ping G400 LST driver. I have a G30 LST right now. I like it a lot, but I've had it a while and I wonder if it's worth the step up. Nice thing is the custom shaft I have for the G30 slots straight into the G400, so cost should be reasonable.

All four options are in the same ballpark for price. Some a little more than others, but they're all 400-500 dollars or so.

Interested also to know if anyone else has any other suggestions in around that price range.

Thanks!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I voted for the Mevo. You can still look at the target and estimate how far left or right of it the ball finished, and you can use it when practicing to nail driver launch conditions, see how well your launch angles and smash factor are improving or whatever, and it's useful on shorter shots too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I vote the Mevo.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I voted for the Mevo. It can do so much and just being able to dial in your partial wedges alone seems worth it. The other stuff on the list seems like you have viable substitutes for.

You're not a Game Golf user, right? I'll throw it out there as another good tool to have.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If she can afford it then I say the Mevo is a good option. If she can't then point her in the direction of a good gift guide. The one below has a few things I would like this Christmas, a Callaway Epic, the Bagboy Tri Swivel II. I already own an Arcoss 360, if I didn't that makes for a great gift to ask for as well.

Edited by iacas
please no spam

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I voted for the Mevo. It can do so much and just being able to dial in your partial wedges alone seems worth it. The other stuff on the list seems like you have viable substitutes for.

You're not a Game Golf user, right? I'll throw it out there as another good tool to have.

Thanks all. The reason i haven't already bought a mevo is because I'm still seriously thinking about getting the Xi or the Xi+. Both would make the Mevo obsolete. 

I'm not a Game Golf user. I am tempted by it, but I have counterweights in my clubs, so nowhere to attach the wotsits. That's one benefit of the S60 is I think it would provide that information.

2 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

Thanks all. The reason i haven't already bought a mevo is because I'm still seriously thinking about getting the Xi or the Xi+. Both would make the Mevo obsolete. 

Well if you go that route then you and I need to be friends ;-)

3 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

I'm not a Game Golf user. I am tempted by it, but I have counterweights in my clubs, so nowhere to attach the wotsits. That's one benefit of the S60 is I think it would provide that information.

Counterweights would be a challenge. I have a GPS and I have never used it for my carry yardage, though that's information I already have due to Game Golf (plus whatever launch monitor you decide on). It's also useful for mapping your shot zones but if you can't use the tags I won't go further with this (I dislike using the app on course so I won't even consider using it without the belt unit).

I like the GPS specifically for yardages to different spots on the green, hazards, etc., and my tendency to play golf from the wrong fairway when I can't get my yardage with a laser. Given your handicap, you probably wouldn't need that last benefit as much as I do. I pretty much never use my laser anymore, but I know plenty of people who swear by a rangefinder.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

GG would still work with a little silicone glue. My putter has a counterweight.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I picked the Mevo as I just read the review this morning and it looked pretty cool.

I don't live too far away so if you get it and need help, I can help!

I don't like GPS' as the one I had was way off.  I like rangefinders better.

Lessons or a new Driver are always appealing too!  Tough choices.... can we get all of them? :beer:

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Mevo....the more I read about it, the more I envision how I would like it. Just dont have that type of money based off other things I got going on.

Edited by cutchemist42

Mevo.

This would allow me to use a launch monitor outdoors. I get claustaphobic in really tight indoor hitting bays.

Also, outdoor Mevo would let me test wedges without bouncing full shots off the ceiling of the golf shop.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Mevo for sure. 

Personally I have a swing speed radar on my list as I just started the Super Speed swing program using two DIY swing sticks I made using old shafts and some washers, duct tape, gorilla glue, and spray paint. 

I can see myself getting a mevo in a year or two but not this christmas.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

I voted Mevo.   Do I need it?  No.   But Christmas is about getting something that you normally wouldn't purchase during the year, something special.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!