IGNORED

Tee Remains Stuck or Flicks Out of Ground?

colin007
Note: This thread is 2355 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wasn't sure which sun forum this should go in, this one seemed best.

So when I hit driver, my tee almost always stays stuck in the ground. Watching the pros, it *seems* like their tees almost always go flying when they hit driver.

Obviously I suck and they're awesome, but anyone know what gives with the tee thing?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I wasn't sure which sun forum this should go in, this one seemed best.

So when I hit driver, my tee almost always stays stuck in the ground. Watching the pros, it *seems* like their tees almost always go flying when they hit driver.

Obviously I suck and they're awesome, but anyone know what gives with the tee thing?

No real correlation.

They don't always use longer tees, and they don't stick them in the ground as much. If their ground is firmer, it's more likely to flick out rather than just getting bent down. Also, they hit the ball higher on the face, so they hit a bit more of the tee.

It's just a matter of ground conditions, swing speed, how far the tee is in the ground, etc.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Tee Remains Stuck or Flicks Out of Ground?
3 minutes ago, iacas said:

No real correlation.

They don't always use longer tees, and they don't stick them in the ground as much. If their ground is firmer, it's more likely to flick out rather than just getting bent down. Also, they hit the ball higher on the face, so they hit a bit more of the tee.

It's just a matter of ground conditions, swing speed, how far the tee is in the ground, etc.

So then am I imagining things when I say they are almost always picking up their tee after it's flown as far as my drives go?

Colin P.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, colin007 said:

So then am I imagining things when I say they are almost always picking up their tee after it's flown as far as my drives go?

I didn't say that.

A lot of them don't use 3 1/4" tees. You might, thus, you have more tee in the ground and it takes a more solid hit to get it to flick out. Ditto if you play in softer ground - it can bend more than flick out.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I read or heard an opinion once that tee pegs usually fly back in a perfect driver shot. I always wondered if it is just an urban legend.

Mac O'Grady Acolyte, or "Macolyte"

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Yff Theos said:

I read or heard an opinion once that tee pegs usually fly back in a perfect driver shot. I always wondered if it is just an urban legend.

Yep.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I didn't say that.

A lot of them don't use 3 1/4" tees. You might, thus, you have more tee in the ground and it takes a more solid hit to get it to flick out. Ditto if you play in softer ground - it can bend more than flick out.

I agree. My buddy uses the 3 1/4" and his almost never come out of the ground. I use 2 3/4" and mine usually do.

What confuses me a little is watching a multi-millionaire pro golfer search like mad for a lost tee! What? No tee sponsorship?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

What confuses me a little is watching a multi-millionaire pro golfer search like mad for a lost tee! What? No tee sponsorship?

Maybe it's their lucky tee. I once found a short tee on the course and used it for the par 3s, hitting three GIR. Broke it on the third one and missed the green on the last par 3 of the day. Coincidence? I think not. ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I kinda figured it might have to do with superstition. Mine is that I start the round with 3 tees in my pocket. And they must be white or natural wood colored. No red, green or blue tees, please!

If I lose or break one, I'm still OK. If I lose or break the second one, I'll immediately fish 2 more tees out of my bag to put in my pocket! But, I usually don't have to do so. I haven't bought a tee in probably 20 years! I always find plenty on local tee boxes.

I saw a video of Jack Nicklaus hitting driver, and on 2 consecutive swings, the tee spun almost straight up, over his right shoulder, and hit the head of his driver at the end of his follow-through.  All I could think of was "Just how consistent does one have to be to make something like that happen?" 

I realize that it can't happen every time, even for the most mechanically repetitive swing, but that seemed to say something about the consistency of a top pro vs. the typical amateur.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I use 3 1/4" tees and mine almost never stay in the ground. 

18 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I will search for 5 minutes for a tee, I'm certainly not a millionaire professional golfer but I do work at a golf course where I have access to an infinite amount of golf tees. But the one I just used is my favorite! :-P

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I think what @iacas said about them hitting the ball consistently slightly high up on the face is most of the explanation.

Any correlation with angle of attack?

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2355 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!