IGNORED

Crypto Currency (Bitcoin, Etc.)

Braivo

10 hours ago, iacas said:
mollyandmax.png

If you go out seeking to learn why blockchains and the systems built atop them are apparently the future of our web, you’ll begin to see some...

If you go out seeking to learn from their proponents why blockchains and the systems built atop them are apparently the future of our web, you’ll begin to see some common themes. Two of the ones I see most frequently are:

• Decentralization: data in blockchains are distributed across innumerable servers run by innumerable people and organizations, rather than stored on servers controlled by one organization
  • Immutability: what is written to a blockchain cannot be changed or deleted, unlike more traditional databases

These fall apart under further scrutiny.

Completely agree with this. Look at the success of Coinbase - they're essentially a centralized bank/crypto retailer that makes a big profit on centralizing transactions.

Blockchain technology itself can make data immutable and decentralized, but if you're a company that wants to make money in crypto, you're going to centralize something along the supply chain.

Regardless of it's inability to provide what it promised, crypto may still take hold and become disruptive and transformative to the entire monetary system and banking. No way to know.

Edited by chspeed

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea, a buddy of mine believes the fiat system is a Ponzi scheme and touts crypto as what will save us. But, he gets all hyped when centralizes banks start to legitimize crypto and start making it function like a currency. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
cryptocurrencyistock-941054914tigerstraw

Mozilla announced a donation pause after co-founder Jamie Zawinski tweeted his opposition. Will more organizations follow suit and take the environmental impact of cryptocurrencies into account?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
original.gif

Web3 is making some people very rich. It’s making other people very angry.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yea, I have very little knowledge of Web3 to even understand why people are upset about it. Reading that article, I was just think, WTF is going on here! 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

1 hour ago, iacas said:
original.gif

Web3 is making some people very rich. It’s making other people very angry.

Kardashian launched her own crypto..? Ha. I like her as she gets a lot undeserved hate but this should be considered an ominous sign - in not a good way. This laughs in the face of the whole idea that FIAT is manipulated and and crypto is immune from it.. i.e. it is true value. Nah.    

Vishal S.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, TonyRark6 said:

At the moment, cryptocurrency is the world's most important and expensive currency. 

Based on what? Your opinion?

2 minutes ago, TonyRark6 said:

Our economy has moved from actual money to virtual money as technology has progressed.

Not really though. Especially not if you are talking about things like direct deposits, electronic money transfers, paying with a credit card, sending money via venmo, etc to be "virtual money" because in all of those it is actual money being transferred that can be cashed out for "actual money"

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

29 minutes ago, klineka said:

Not really though. Especially not if you are talking about things like direct deposits, electronic money transfers, paying with a credit card, sending money via venmo, etc to be "virtual money" because in all of those it is actual money being transferred that can be cashed out for "actual money"

only about 8% of the money worldwide exists as physical cash, the rest is just digital shifting of numbers between entities. 

If for whatever reason everybody decided to "cash out for 'actual money'" simultaneously this would not be possible and you'd soon realise the actual limitations of how flawed our banking-system has become.   

I'm not sure what was meant with crypto being "expensive", but even when just looking at fiat currency, 92%  of it is "virtual money" and that percentage will only increases in future.. And just like with crypto, if enough people think that fiat currency (Dollar, Euro, etc) is not worth anything, then the value will diminish (see the drop of the Rubel over the past months or any unstable country). There is no more direct connection to i.e. the gold-reserves like it used to be in the 70's to actually have physical assets that will dictate the value of the money. Nowadays it's mostly imaginary..

cheers Chris

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
bitcoinonfire-1024x646.jpg

<p>UC-Berkeley’s Nicholas Weaver has been studying cryptocurrency for years. He thinks it’s a terrible idea that will end in disaster. </p>

06-BI_WEB3_STACKPOLE_WHITE_feature.jpg

Web3 is off to a rocky start. Optimists may rattle on about progress on the horizon, but at present the space is rife with fraud, hacks, and collapses. In this Q&A with Web3 critic Molly White, creator of the...

(That's three links, FWIW.)

Great thread. The energy requirement of these, as @iacas pointed out, is a travesty, and is something which in my opinion has been conspicuously ignored. In a world where we are told the progressive view is to protect the environment, we talk little about the environmental impact of the cloud, Bitcoin, etc.

Regarding value...Yeah, the "value" of anything is just what we all agree we are willing to trade for it, I get that. But it goes further than that. Gold and silver were chosen, I read, because they are durable, rare, have intrinsic value, and also require work and effort to acquire and produce. But this doesn't mean that creating some of these attributes in a digital/software entity makes it a better or even equivalent form of value. 

I don't know much economics, but I remember a famous quote by JP Morgan in which he said he knew the stock market was headed for a catastrophe when a shoe-shine kid started giving him advice about stocks. Just look at the youtube content on crypto currencies. It's absurd. This is as old as mankind, it's just people gaming others, taking advantage, hucksters and carneys. It's all bullshit.

I have a friend who is obsessed with this stuff. He's smart enough not to "invest" anything beyond trivial amounts, but he follows all these coins, NFTs, crypto gaming (whatever that is), and so forth. Recently, I guess the entire crypto market took a massive dump because some coin UST, pegged to $1 value, was annihilated by negative price pressure. Supposedly whoever "manages" UST had a multi-billion dollar reserve to try to prop up the value of the coin, but they blew through it in a matter of hours. Again, it's all bullshit.

Run like hell away from this stuff. The only way it becomes a real thing, maybe, is if a government decides to sanction it, protect it with laws, adjudicate diputes, etc.; in other words, all the things the crypto people say they don't want. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

• 7 months later...
On 5/20/2022 at 11:22 AM, Big Lex said:

Run like hell away from this stuff. The only way it becomes a real thing, maybe, is if a government decides to sanction it, protect it with laws, adjudicate diputes, etc.; in other words, all the things the crypto people say they don't want. 

That won't help either. El Salvador kind-of tried that.

I don't know much economics, but I remember a famous quote by JP Morgan in which he said he knew the stock market was headed for a catastrophe when a shoe-shine kid started giving him advice about stocks. Just look at the youtube content on crypto currencies. It's absurd. This is as old as mankind, it's just people gaming others, taking advantage, hucksters and carneys. It's all bullshit.

I have a friend who is into this stuff. He has way more knowledge on this than I do. He is a pretty smart guy to. For me, it just doesn't feel right with my sense of how economies work. Like, if I was a business, I would never want to accept Crypto because you could lose 10% of what you just sold due to volatility. This is why I never though it would ever be a replacement for a world currency. 

Regarding value...Yeah, the "value" of anything is just what we all agree we are willing to trade for it, I get that. But it goes further than that. Gold and silver were chosen, I read, because they are durable, rare, have intrinsic value, and also require work and effort to acquire and produce. But this doesn't mean that creating some of these attributes in a digital/software entity makes it a better or even equivalent form of value.

I do think a good portion of gold's value is made up in the minds of people. It goes back to 560BC or prior, when gold was turned into coins for trading. Back then, gold had no real world application other than it looked pretty. This turned around in modern area where gold is used in aerospace and electronics. If had not value as jewelry or wealth status, then it would be based solely on it's practical use. 

When the USA took the dollar off the gold standard, we not have a dollar based on the backing of the US Government for it's value. The value of the dollar is only as good as how valuable and stable the USA is. 

I have a friend who is obsessed with this stuff. He's smart enough not to "invest" anything beyond trivial amounts, but he follows all these coins, NFTs, crypto gaming (whatever that is), and so forth. Recently, I guess the entire crypto market took a massive dump because some coin UST, pegged to $1 value, was annihilated by negative price pressure. Supposedly whoever "manages" UST had a multi-billion dollar reserve to try to prop up the value of the coin, but they blew through it in a matter of hours. Again, it's all bullshit.

Stuff like that isn't just in the crypto world. Yea, once crypto go popular, people tried to figure out ways to game the system. It just means Crypto needs regulated. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

This is a good watch. The power of the sheep effect.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• iacas changed the title to Crypto Currency (Bitcoin, Etc.)
  • Administrator

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
0x0.jpg?format=jpg&crop=2688,1512,x0,y59

“Taylor is Smart,” the world’s second-wealthiest man Elon Musk said about the singer’s due diligence.