IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 8.  Long day at work, got home and spent 30 minutes in my golf room.  Half and quarter swings, sand wedge and 9-iron, a few quarter swings with the 7-iron.  Real balls, off a mat, into a net, indoors. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 492

Chipping practice this morning. Conditions were a little damp due to last night's rains. 

I used all 4 wedges, plus my 8 & 9 irons. This what I call a reminder practice. Just reminding myself how these different clubs make the ball react, due to the various lofts. 

Focus was on a smooth transition from the back stroke to the forward stroke. By doing this, I remove any "herky jerky" motions in the swing. It's the xame when putting, although on putts, I will change the length of back stroke for the amount of roll required. 

Practicing that smooth transition, also helps with longer swings, with longer clubs.

Except for a few strange conditions, I use the same length stroke for all chips. I let the the loft of the club take care of the carry & roll of the ball. I find it easier to change clubs, than to use various swings using only one club.  I do the same for my pitches. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 537   Spent time last evening going over the round I/we played in the scramble.  We were 4th, and I was thinking about what I needed to improve to help us find this one stroke of more when we play again in July.   So it gave me four things to work on... in no order: 1) More distance off the tee; 2) improved putting from 20 feet and in; 3) wedges getting closer to the hole from 30-100 yards; and 4) hitting shots in the 120-140 range closer to the hole -- since this was the length of all 4 of the par 3s.

So this morning, I spent 90 minutes working on my swing to impove my strike (contact) and direction.  This involved focusing on my pivot on both the backswing and downswing.  Then 75 minutes on the putting green starting with work using the Pelz Putting Tutor to provide training and feedback on starting the ball on line.   Then came home and spent 20 minutes using my Iron Gripper to strenghten my grip strength, and also Exercise Bands to help build more strength and stability throughout the swing.

I put note about what I needed to improve on during the next 60 days on the corkboard on my desk -- to remind me daily... so I do not lose focus.

Day 210, May 10

Bit of an off day today. Did some chipping with a putting method in the basement. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 22: 

2586077_mM34kekc.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Not my best, but not my worst either. I was toeing every approach shot - think that's a result of my address change. Just need to get out there and hit some more balls to find the center of the club better. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

5/10/19:

Day Sixteen:

More weight shift practice this time with a 9i without a ball, just making sure my balance is on point. Continuing to feel good and in balance with these new drills.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 303:

Minor change in my plans, I did a fairly extensive run through of the wedges and irons.

50º, 56º, and 60º all performed to my expectations.  

A full swing with the 50º returned a 110-115 yard smack with a loft that minimized rolls.  A 3/4 swing got a lower loft but a sweet roll.

56º allowed me to get a good number of options dependent on swing and how much angle I got from manipulating the attack.

60º was primarily spent on my "Phil" lofts with fullness of swing helping me for distance.  

Onto the irons!  All did as expected, including my wild child the 6i!  The 6i was responsible for my only fattie and a slice. This was out of 15 swats.  Others nicely wet 160 or so yards with a good loft and solid roll; best day with that weapon in a week.

7i, 9i and 7i/w results were almost the best.

My question for myself to answer is whether I have become complacent in my golf.  So much is almost automatic. I need to concentrate on much to be sure.  While I do have the ability to hit a g-awful shot at any given moment,  My work is becoming predictable; I have gained a sense of better club selection and can now plan my attack of a round.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 9.  Range trip after work:  putting to start and to end, did some pitching (half shots and quarter shots with sand wedge, range balls to a meh-maintained green with flags in it), then a small bucket at the range.  Halfway through, did the speed sticks (recorded some numbers, too, this time digitally -- I'll start a spreadsheet to see). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 493

This is my target practice day. When I buy a basket of balls, and just aim at the flags on the driving range. 

The different distances abviously require different clubs. Another plus is I can hit various shots for those distances. Punch shots, regular shots, pitches, long chips, and flop shots. ( I am a much better "flopper" than Harden)

I hit one distance/club/shot at a time using an abbreviated preshot routine. Since these are suspect range balls, all I am looking at is the initial direction of the ball, which should be heading on a line towards my target.

Went through 13 clubs. I was quite happy with my longer clubs today. 

In My Bag:

Day 304:

Today, I was concentrating on my hybrids and tee shots.  I went away quite contented to the results were quite good.

Just under 120 minutes for 102 smacks.  Ok, I did hit a bad push (or two) and topped more than one, but I would guess 85% ended up very playable, if during a round.

Oddest mis-hit was a shank with my 5h.  I'd never did that before.

I was able to correct the dreaded left hit by hybrids by basically aiming in a way to cover the difference.

My GX-7 was fairly solid with a good 180 average. I have been drawing the club a lately and did so again, today.  Only 1 ended up as an almost bad push.  But it did basically what was expected.

The G5 driver was the best I have hit 15 shots in some time.  Rarely more than 5º left (I am guessing, no protractor) and I was getting between 190 and 200 on most (not counting a real worm burner, I swear the devil made me do it).

So after a day with chipping and putting, I will play my next round with a good feeling (at least on the first tee!)

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Day 463 - May 11, 2019 - Hit balls downtown before a lesson arrived. Then walked nine holes with some of my Junior Elite Program kids.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I just went back and read the first post in this thread. I see I need to do a better job on the "detailed...." part. 😆

In My Bag:

Day 211, May 11

Played 9 with my wife and a friend. Played pretty well considering it was windy.

2587535_ZkCwUZvi.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 538  Solid Saturday.  I spent a little more than an hour on the range, working through a couple of drills to help me improve my pivot... and also a lot of swings with the Orange Whip to help with tempo and timing. 

Then headed out to play the front nine at Legacy Golf Club.   I hit 7/7 Fairways, 7/9 GIR, Got up and down 1/2 times so I shot a one over par 37.  I had one putt of less than 30 feet for a birdie and did not convert... So my proximity to the hole was NOT good...which makes it too to score... anything better than par on a hole.  

Then I hit the putting green for 30 minutes which was spent mostly using the Pelz Putting Tutor to train and get feedack in starting the ball on line, and end with an around the green with one ball.    My distance control was good today when I played, just need to continue to sharpen up starting the ball on line.

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

Day 22: played 18 holes. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

5/11/19:

Day Seventeen:

Range day. Hit every club in my bag to get distance gaps with real balls. Continued focus was my weight shift. Enjoying the process. Keeping my rhythm and tempo in check actually produces some much better results.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 10.  Played a course I like but haven't played in a year.  Shot 86, hitting 5 GIR but also 11 near-GIR... and I didn't feel like I was ball striking well at all for much of the round, it's just a fairly forgiving course.

-- Michael | My swing!