IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 111.  This morning, I went to the nearby course with the great practice facility.  Before going, I hit two dozen (slow, purposeful, with practice swings) balls with 7-iron to work on not going as far back.  But, my home isn't really setup for video, so I went to the range and got some video there (I only hit a few balls there).  The practice swings went well and I stopped well short of parallel on the backswing... but in the real one, I went back to parallel (an improvement, not by much).  

I also did some chipping and putting.  Putting included the 4' drill, I somehow only took 14 putts today.  Yay!  Must have been an easy pin position.  I'll keep working.

But after seeing the video from the range, I knew I had more work to do.  I've been hitting many more since then, several dozen throughout the day.  Hopefully by the end of the week I can get some video and confirm that I'm actually changing the picture. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Day 534 - June 14, 2021

Practiced for almost 45 minutes today!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day Twenty, June 14, 2021

Practice squating the backswing, for 15 or so minutes before work.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 8 (14 Jun 21) - more full swing work with hybrid and 3w, again working on coming through the ball.  No toppers or fatties today, just solid strikes.  Worked on not coming past parallel on the backswing.  As I was working with the hard foam balls in groups of five, I could take five swings, walk about 70 yards and then set up, go through the swing and hit the balls back.  Also allows me to work from varied lies.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day Twenty-one, June 15, 2021

Continued the squat drill today. Most of the focus was spent squatting in the backswing.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Day 237: Played 18 at Cranberry Heights and then worked on putting and short game at Golf Evolution

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Day 535 - June 15, 2021

Played 18 holes with @billchao and @boogielicious today, along with Richard. At Cranberry Highlands. Played well.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 112.  Morning I snuck out to the putting green;  after warm-up, I did the 4' drill.  Must have had a harder break this time, took me 18 putts to finish.  Not bad, not great.  Got home, got some work done, went back to practice (the rest is at home).  I did a dozen chip shots with my 54 (well, a friend's 54 I'm thinking of trying for a few rounds) and then did 20 full shots with the 7-iron (slow, as I'm practicing something).  I think adjustments after the video the other day have helped to change the picture, and I want to go confirm this tomorrow if I can.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 72 (6/15/21) - Worked on tempo with my putter and a metronome.

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 545:

Did some more backswing practice with LVP camera. Hit some balls into my net with 6-iron, still engraining downswing clubface feel.

As of today, I’ve lost my outdoor practice are to a landscaping project, so I’ll need to come up with a new way to get full swing reps in at home. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 9 (16 Jun 21) - wedge Wednesday today.  Used 50-54-58 wedges around the yard working on feeling my weight on the pads of my 1-2/3 feet.  This is interesting as I have regularly spoken of how stability in the left (lead) foot is questionable at best.  Still, by locking in on the pressure sensation, ball flight was very good.  Ended with the 7i into the net, again working on the pressure feel in the feet.  It was a good session! 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I have lots of practice left today (such as much full swing practice to do!), but I did my morning short game + putting practice so I'm going to declare that for challenge purposes.

Day 113.  Nearby putting green at a real course;  I've been debating putting a friend's 54 into my bag (since I'm currently carrying 50-56-58), so I did some chipping and pitching (quarter shots) with it today.  I'm also working on these shots as pivots (I noticed only yesterday I have gotten very arms-y).  I then putted for a while, including a 4' drill.  After 18 putts, I made 10.  My first pass of 12 I made half, then I made 4, and then the last two took forever to fall.  I'm not sure if bad positioning or I stink or what.  I did notice when trying these further that I don't think I stand consistently the way I do with a full swing.

Let me explain that last part:  When I hit a full swing club, I'm very good at setting the club down and setting up the right, or near to the right, distance from it.  When I hit a truly poor long game shot, it's likely I wasn't paying attention on setup (not that setup guarantees a good result or anything).  I realized with putting I sort of stand behind the ball, then I saddle up to it, then I set down my putter.  I need to find a better way to set up to make sure I'm not introducing a meaningless variable into it.  To the Utley book I go...

[Later today will include several dozen full swing shots, the same focus as the last two days]

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 73 (6/16/21) -  Practiced "hinge and hold" chipping today, varying position in the stance and opening the club face to see how it affected the shot. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day Twenty-two, June 16, 2021.

Pitching and chipping practice this morning.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Day 3.

Played and shot a 103 (55/48).

Most positive was correctly some things on the back which led to only 1 penalty stroke after collecting 3 or 4 on the front.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator

Day 536 - June 16, 2021

Played 18 holes with @billchao and @boogielicious today at Whispering Woods. No new birdies, but made a few.

Day 546:

Last post in this thread for a bit (off camping for 5 days with no internet/cellular service), so I’ll be back to day 1 again. I do plan on taking a wedge and doing some backswing work, but won’t be posting. It was a good run…

This evening between spurts of packing I did some bead putting work indoors with yardstick, and backswing practice with LVP camera. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1