IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 35 (8/29/22): Today I worked on shots up to arm parallel, just rehearsing getting to this position, pumping a few times, and rotating and uncocking through impact. I tried to match my rotation with the arm swinging down and wrist uncocking, just trying for solid contact. Any swing longer than this and I couldn't sequence and get solid contact, so I just stuck with these limited swings. Inside practice...real balls for the limited swings; I tried longer swings with foam balls only, just a couple. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 43: 8/30/2022

I had a really great practice session today. Worked on my priority pieces with a 6 iron first, then with a 9 iron, then with my longest hybrid, and then with the driver. Obviously, it wasn't perfect. But it was really starting to feel good and I like the results I was getting. 

Next step: Get some video and send it to Yoda. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 77 (30 Aug 22) - Continued work on the grip position today - it is definitely different and is making me be deliberate in how I set the lead and trail hands. Did make some swings, however they were limited as my rotation has been limited by arthritis acting up in the the hips. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 305 - Practiced at NK this morning:

Range: Since it is clear from my swing video that my swing is too upper body driven, I did a small bucket of 9 to 3 swings with 7i and Driver focusing on impact position today (very much like the Hips Preset drill). 

Practice green: Practiced speed control putting 5 balls into a 2' x 2' square from 5 and 10 paces, then putted 5 balls around a hole from 2' to 6'. Chipped 10 balls using my stock chipping action to one hole, followed by 3 balls to 3 different holes, stock, low and high trajectories. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 177.  Same continuation as past few days;  2/3 tilt practice, 1/3 elbow practice, focusing on slow and with the grip too.  I know I sound like a broken mp3, but this is going to be a big change for me and is going to take work (as any change, of course, does). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 1:

Dang, keeping on top of this thread is hard. Worked a bunch on backswing with LVP camera today. Also hit balls with help from Mevo+.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 36 (8/30/22); Same theme unfortunately (or maybe fortunately)...1/2 to 3/4 swings, concentrating on contact, with rehearsals. I put the Hack Motion on at the end to collect some data on wrist position. My flexion/extension profile was consistent tonight, but I was still too variable with face angle, as forearm rotation varied too much. On 1/2 swings, it's easy to rotate through impact. As soon as the swing gets longer, I seem to rotate my body less through impact (or that's how it feels anyway), and the forearms roll over more as the torso "stalls." Again, that's a feel only, and I don't know if it's correct. Sometimes it feels like I have to "hold off" the hands through the hitting zone in order to avoid hooking it. 

JP Bouffard

Day 44: 8/31/2022

Played 18 early this morning. Played mostly well.

Took 3 from the tee on the first hole. 😖 But otherwise drove the ball mostly well. Made an 8 on a par-5 in which I got in trouble and instead of just getting out of trouble decided to compound my trouble with an attempted hero shot. I got hot on the middle, hitting GIR's on 8, 9 and the first four holes on the back. 10-13. Put the drive on 14 into the lake... Oops.  Number 15 is a par five I reached in two with a six iron. Had a ten footer for eagle... missed it of course, but tap in birdies are nice. 

Ended up shooting an 86, going 45 and 41. 

Day 306 - Busy day today...did impact fix and 9 to 3 swings with my 7i in the yard. 

• Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 178.  I was invited to play golf with some friends and did so.  I got there late (despite leaving early enough that I should have been there with time to warm up), still shot 73 for 16 holes (met my group when they were on the #2 green).  Result is posting an 83 (two par-4s, handicap numbers 7 and 1).  I hit some excellent shots.  My rehearsal swings today were all the same rehearsal pieces I have been doing, except I needed to do the full swing at speed.  I got some very good results, including some huge 4-wood shots.  I will get back to real practice shortly (probably will do some tonight). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Day 303, August 31, 2022

Hit balls downtown while waiting on a next lesson after a cancellation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 78 (31 Aug 22) - Continued work on the grip today.  Hit a number of shots in the backyard (kept the distances under 30 yds) working thru the wedge suite (hitting the Eye2’s). 

21 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Day 1:

Dang, keeping on top of this thread is hard. 

Yup - that is what make this both fun and a challenge!  I think I am on my third time of starting over. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 37 (8/31/22): Today I did one-arm drills. I was feeling really odd over the ball like I couldn't get the grip to feel correct, feeling like the face was dead shut. I took 1/2 swings - one arm with a limited turn back but a more or less full turn through - and did it with both left hand only and right hand only. I went back to a conventional grip and hit 20-30 yard shots trying to replicate the feeling of the hands through impact that I had with the one arm swings. 

JP Bouffard

Day 2:

Almost the same thing as yesterday, except without Mevo+. Did a bunch of camera/mirror work indoors, and hit some balls with a 7-iron and 9-iron.

2 hours ago, WillieT said:

Yup - that is what make this both fun and a challenge!  I think I am on my third time of starting over. 

True, but I would have liked to at least get to the 26/28 part before failing though. 😄

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 307 - Continuing 9 to 3 with impact awareness today, using AlmostGOLF balls in the yard. I filmed three swings, which showed that I am making some progress getting my weight forward and hips open at impact. The quality is not good enough to post, however. 

Day 79 (01 Sep 22) - Played 18 with son today.  Round was consistent.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Thanks to @iacasfor pointing me to the 30 day practice plan. Day 1 done. It's pretty amazing how far off my take away was from what it is supposed to be. Definitely need to do that drill a lot so that I don't have to think about it.

**side note, man a club starts feeling pretty heavy when you lift it multiple times in a short succession with one hand....

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Day 45:
Today was just mirror work. I have 3 priority pieces... although you could argue that 2 of them are kinda the same. Or at least similar. ... I digress. 

Anyway, since I played 18 yesterday. I wanted to look at my stuff in a mirror to see if I'm still about where I think I am. 
All 7 iron slow mo swings and a few full speed ones. 
A few moves with the club across my shoulders and even a few without the club.