IGNORED

JB Holmes - "Undue Delay"?

tdiii
Note: This thread is 2268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

17 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

It's a fair hypothesis, but I'm not sure I agree.  Small sample size, obviously, but I wonder if anybody here changed the channel?

More likely, I would presume, is that people who didn't like it just got mad at Holmes and/or even stopped being a fan.  Everybody is still going to watch, but if he's in contention in the near future he'll probably just have fans rooting against him.

My wife and I were watching. She can attest that I was yelling at Holmes to “hit the f-ing ball!” I’ve lost a lot of respect for him now because I really think he affected Noren with the delay.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that identifying the number of viewers lost due to glacial play is difficult if not impossible.  Certainly we can agree that the Tour is not gaining viewers on account of slow play, no? 

Slow play is the biggest thing turning prospective golfers off the game. It has even crept into high handicappers games these days.  Increased length of courses thanks to improved technology is not helping either. In the 90's three hours was about the maximum we took for 18 holes. Now it seems to be the minimum. Pro's don't help matters by taking ridiculous amounts of time on TV and it frustrates viewers

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

Slow play is the biggest thing turning prospective golfers off the game. 

Many surveys around the big golfing nations have shown that isn't so.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:54 PM, iacas said:

There's an element of sticking their head in the sand going on here, and an element of the "unwritten code" that pervades the PGA Tour and leads to backstopping and these types of things.

IMO there is also an element of the player's believing that at the end of the day they ARE the talent and sit at the top of the food chain. They don't HAVE to care. Obviously a fallacy but JB's reaction afterwards proves this.

Vishal S.

24 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

IMO there is also an element of the player's believing that at the end of the day they ARE the talent and sit at the top of the food chain. They don't HAVE to care. Obviously a fallacy but JB's reaction afterwards proves this.

This is where leadership should step in and start a conversation with the players and lead the Tour to some sort of amelioration of this issue.   Unfortunately, Jay Monahan has his head in the sand. 

I don't have much to add, but is JB notorious for slow play, or was this a one time thing? After all, wasn't this the 18th hole, on Sunday, and that one swing potentially worth $100,000?  Maybe that's why the other players didn't call him on it?

It's too bad that the overall round took so long, because there WAS a lot of drama on that last hole. Normally during any round, TV coverage will just jump to another player that is ready to play, them come back to those who are slow to play. Maybe that's why I don't know who the slow players are, except for putting. I'm becoming a bone fide golf nut, thanks to the new players and this forum, so I will watch golf on TV no matter how long it take. Wasn't last season amazing? 

Note: This thread is 2268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!