IGNORED

Texas Winter Weather Not What I Expected

Ron
Note: This thread is 2261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

It's the average Hign for the day.  Wouldn't that be all the daily high temperatures for the month divided by number of days in the month?

I don't understand how where you start and end the clock would matter.  It should be a 24 hour per day time period, right?

You might be correct, but from my experience it's definitely not the peak temperatures.

I have a timeshare in Palm Springs and I often go in the summer to hike (actually a slow walk carrying a gallon of water :-D) in Indian Canyon and the other wells. It seems to get a lot hotter than 108 in July and August, and I often see the bank temperatures way up in the high 110 teens. My car thermometer often says 132F and was even pegged once, but that's a car sitting in scrappy shade from a Mesquite tree or equivalent bush like tree.

The other tenants of the timeshare are usually sitting in or by the large pool(s) under every possible cover. That's the main attraction of that timeshare, cool spring like swimming pools.

Average temperature just doesn't seem like a good representation of what you experience in the hot afternoons.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Texas has some :poo:ty weather in the winter. My daughter just moved to Sa Angelo and is still getting used to it. Have you experienced one of their famous ice storms yet? Good thing is you will get better weather than in NY, I can guarantee that. People think the southwest is all sunshine and warm weather, but it's not. Beats getting 10 feet of snow every winter though.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Yes, the hail and ice storms are :pound:

I'm guessing that people need new roofs more often than here in So. Cal. from all the hail? I heard the hail gets pretty big too?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

14 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Texas has some :poo:ty weather in the winter. My daughter just moved to Sa Angelo and is still getting used to it. Have you experienced one of their famous ice storms yet? Good thing is you will get better weather than in NY, I can guarantee that. People think the southwest is all sunshine and warm weather, but it's not. Beats getting 10 feet of snow every winter though.

I have not experienced an ice storm yet, and what you have written is absolutely correct.  What most people from the north want to escape is SNOW & ICE!

23 minutes ago, Lihu said:

You might be correct, but from my experience it's definitely not the peak temperatures.

I have a timeshare in Palm Springs and I often go in the summer to hike (actually a slow walk carrying a gallon of water :-D) in Indian Canyon and the other wells. It seems to get a lot hotter than 108 in July and August, and I often see the bank temperatures way up in the high 110 teens. My car thermometer often says 132F and was even pegged once, but that's a car sitting in scrappy shade from a Mesquite tree or equivalent bush like tree.

The other tenants of the timeshare are usually sitting in or by the large pool(s) under every possible cover. That's the main attraction of that timeshare, cool spring like swimming pools.

Average temperature just doesn't seem like a good representation of what you experience in the hot afternoons.

I'm sure there must be a valid reason, but may I ask why one would choose to "Go Hiking" in a canyon carrying a gallon jug of water in 110 degree+ temperatures?  I understand that people do the running of the bulls in Spain, climb Mt Everest, and sky dive, but.....Those types of activities would not appeal to me either.

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

1 minute ago, Ron said:

I'm sure there must be a valid reason, but may I ask why one would choose to "Go Hiking" in a canyon carrying a gallon jug of water in 110 degree+ temperatures?  I understand that people do the running of the bulls in Spain, climb Mt Everest, and sky dive, but.....Those types of activities would not appeal to me either.

So, it's one of the "attractions" that my timeshare endorses along with golf which was not taking any tee time reservations that day. It became obvious why after the hike. :-P

Not what I was expecting actually, and when I got to the trail head, an native guide told us to carry all our water, just in case. So, I did. Now, you can argue about the second and third times we did it. We took family and friends and my wife forgot the experience we had the first two times on the third time. We haven't done it since. We usually go to the San Diego, Vegas or other sites instead, and plan ahead. That kind of explains why there are always openings at the Palm Springs one in the summer at the last minute. :-D

The timeshare also claimed that the highest daytime temperatures you would normally experience are only 108 degrees, and when we got back they claimed it was an exceptionally hot day. :ninja: My wife complained then we got a whole bunch of free drink tickets which I promptly traded with a younger couple for meal credits at some local restaurants and got a really nice meal for 4 for under $80 at a classy place downtown. :banana:

So, although those were not entirely my own doing, my affinity to doing crazy stuff has found its outlet in golf. Working hard to try to hit a tiny white ball into a hole in as few shots as possible is all a part of that "natural" instinct to play golf.

I'm sure playing while it's cold, windy, hailing or icy in Texas is no different. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

So, it's one of the "attractions" that my timeshare endorses along with golf which was not taking any tee time reservations that day. It became obvious why after the hike. :-P

Not what I was expecting actually, and when I got to the trail head, an native guide told us to carry all our water, just in case. So, I did. Now, you can argue about the second and third times we did it. We took family and friends and my wife forgot the experience we had the first two times on the third time. We haven't done it since. We usually go to the San Diego, Vegas or other sites instead, and plan ahead. That kind of explains why there are always openings at the Palm Springs one in the summer at the last minute. :-D

The timeshare also claimed that the highest daytime temperatures you would normally experience are only 108 degrees, and when we got back they claimed it was an exceptionally hot day. :ninja: My wife complained then we got a whole bunch of free drink tickets which I promptly traded with a younger couple for meal credits at some local restaurants and got a really nice meal for 4 for under $80 at a classy place downtown. :banana:

So, although those were not entirely my own doing, my affinity to doing crazy stuff has found its outlet in golf. Working hard to try to hit a tiny white ball into a hole in as few shots as possible is all a part of that "natural" instinct to play golf.

I'm sure playing while it's cold, windy, hailing or icy in Texas is no different. :-D

Well, I guess that explains it.  I have been an extremely active person for my whole life and NOBODY looks at me and believes I'm 76!  (LOL)  I'd be willing to bet that you are trim and fit.  :-)

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

1 minute ago, Ron said:

Well, I guess that explains it.  I have been an extremely active person for my whole life and NOBODY looks at me and believes I'm 76!  (LOL)  I'd be willing to bet that you are trim and fit.  :-)

Not exactly, but thanks for saying so. . . :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I've lived in TX going on 25 years, the last 21 in Ft. Worth, so I'm just down the road from you.  In my opinion, this winter has been colder than usual.  I grew up in WI, so I know what real winters are like.  Texas is truly a year-round golf state, but it doesn't mean you can play every day.

Get ready if it snows...1/2" will shut the Metroplex down!  This one created long lines at the store for canned goods, bottled water, batteries and other "emergency" items.  A few days later it was gone!

398707_354241727935977_1006482835_n.jpg.df6c3223902522859198fbf31d3914fa.jpg

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

38 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

I've lived in TX going on 25 years, the last 21 in Ft. Worth, so I'm just down the road from you.  In my opinion, this winter has been colder than usual.  I grew up in WI, so I know what real winters are like.  Texas is truly a year-round golf state, but it doesn't mean you can play every day.

Get ready if it snows...1/2" will shut the Metroplex down!  This one created long lines at the store for canned goods, bottled water, batteries and other "emergency" items.  A few days later it was gone!

398707_354241727935977_1006482835_n.jpg.df6c3223902522859198fbf31d3914fa.jpg

1BB: Thanks.  My permanent address was in Long Island, NY for 75 years.  However my father was in international business and owned homes in NY, Germany Philippines. I lived in Germany, the Philippines, Hong Kong (Saigon-Ugh-  US Army, 5th SFG) in addition to NY and traveled through every state in the USA in over 45 years of working.  In the above photo; Long Island, with over 13 million people, wouldn't even send out the plows for that.  They would perhaps "Salt" a few back roads with that small amount.  It would be gone on the L.I.E in 3 minutes during rush hour.

I'm going to place the blame on my son :angry:  (LOL) for not knowing how cold it gets down here.  He was recruited right after graduating from Colgate and has lived in Colleyville for 30 years.  He took great delight in sending us photos of everyone wearing shorts on Christmas and his birthday which is in February, and whenever I would talk to him on the phone on a Saturday in the winter, he would always end the conversation with letting me know he had to cut the lawn.  I mainly visited Texas in the spring, summer, and fall.  (I PLAY GOLF)  The few times that I came down for Christmas, it was indeed warm!

• Like 1

Ball-Pro V1

My wife and I had a airline credit we had to use up by Dec. 2017.  We wanted to go somewhere that had direct flights, golf, a music scene, and seemed like a cool place to go... Austin, yeah that's the ticket.  Flew there on Dec. 3rd for the week.

We got this: (Still managed to get 2 rounds in)

Austin.jpg

Edited by No Mulligans

I'm like Ron:  It's not WARM until it hits 75 or warmer!

Northeast Ohio reporting in.  Tonight's low temp:  13 degrees.  Nothing above 32 in sight for days on end.

The other side of living in a warmer climate is what we'd call balmy in Ohio this time of year is 50.  In TX, 50 might feel chilly at best, downright COLD to some!

It's all relative, I guess.

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

9 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

My wife and I had a airline credit we had to use up by Dec. 2017.  We wanted to go somewhere that had direct flights, golf, a music scene, and seemed like a cool place to go... Austin, yeah that's the ticket.  Flew there on Dec. 3rd for the week.

We got this: (Still managed to get 2 rounds in)

Austin.jpg

Oh Boy!  That's a shame.  I remember that week:  I went to the annual  Christmas parade in Grapevine, TX on Dec 7th at 7:00 PM.  (2 hour parade)  My Grandaughter's 5th grade class had a float in the parade and my son was in the Father's Group that worked on the float.  Because my son told me it never gets real cold in Texas, I wore a Leather Bomber Jacket because that was the heaviest coat that I had.  I damned near died from "Hypothermia.":cry:

Ball-Pro V1

I live on Long Island and the weather here does suck in the winter, but being an Island the water does help to moderate the temperature. In the winter we get a lot of days in the 40s and as long as it isn't windy my group is playing. Of course when we do get snow the courses are closed until it melts. That is frustrating because a day or two after it snows we could have a 50* day but everything is closed. Aside from the snow our state courses stay open year round so I can play Bethpage on a nice day.

48 minutes ago, dave s said:

I'm like Ron:  It's not WARM until it hits 75 or warmer!

Northeast Ohio reporting in.  Tonight's low temp:  13 degrees.  Nothing above 32 in sight for days on end.

The other side of living in a warmer climate is what we'd call balmy in Ohio this time of year is 50.  In TX, 50 might feel chilly at best, downright COLD to some!

It's all relative, I guess.

Dave:  Good post!   Back in LI, NY, as recent as a year ago, in the wintertime, if one of the guys called and asked me if I wanted to play because we were going to get a 45 degree day with no wind, I would play in a heartbeat.  NOW.....Living in Texas, I won't play unless it's above 70 Degrees! :dance:  (LOL)  I found out that there is no such thing as your blood thinning when you move to a warmer climate.  It has to do with a reduced tolerance to cold weather and the loss of insulating fat in the body.  Also, let's NOT forget....Golf, regardless of your ability....is a DAMN TOUGH game!!  Hopping up and down trying to stay warm, wearing gloves and heavy clothing, with your knees knocking and your teeth chattering, does not lend itself to "Pulling off a 4 Iron on your approach to a tricky pin location." :whistle:

Ball-Pro V1

Played this morning in DFW - started at 38F, 15 mph winds at 8 am. Temps lowered as the round continued until it was 32F by hole 15, and yes, the wind was still blowing. Was a round to see if you could maintain your focus. Hands were numb going up 18. Pushed a cart and fortunate I had cart mittens. I don't like to wear a glove. Challenging.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

1 hour ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Played this morning in DFW - started at 38F, 15 mph winds at 8 am. Temps lowered as the round continued until it was 32F by hole 15, and yes, the wind was still blowing. Was a round to see if you could maintain your focus. Hands were numb going up 18. Pushed a cart and fortunate I had cart mittens. I don't like to wear a glove. Challenging.

I went to my Grand-daughters League Volleyball matches this morning at Fieldhouse USA in Grapevine.  I got there at 7:15 AM and the weather was very pleasant.  She had two matches, one at 8:00 and one at 10:00.  When I went out to my car at 11:10, it felt like I was in Siberia and the wind was very strong!   I can imagine it must have been very unpleasant on the Golf Course.  I'm not playing until it gets over 70 degrees.  No more Eskimo Golf for me.  Been there done that!  :whistle:

Ball-Pro V1

9 hours ago, Ron said:

I went to my Grand-daughters League Volleyball matches this morning at Fieldhouse USA in Grapevine.  I got there at 7:15 AM and the weather was very pleasant.  She had two matches, one at 8:00 and one at 10:00.  When I went out to my car at 11:10, it felt like I was in Siberia and the wind was very strong!   I can imagine it must have been very unpleasant on the Golf Course.  I'm not playing until it gets over 70 degrees.  No more Eskimo Golf for me.  Been there done that!  :whistle:

Ron - I've found that 54, sunny, and no to little wind is great golf in Texas - try it this week. That's light sweater weather.

Yes, temps dropped and winds picked up as the morning round continued. Those temps and wind change everything. Greens get more slick as the winds dry them out. Pitches that would roll out, suddenly are stopping sooner than expected. Against a wind, you are hitting 200-210 approaches. Tough golf.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 2261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!