IGNORED

Texas Winter Weather Not What I Expected

Ron
Note: This thread is 2232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As a retired senior living alone in Long Island, NY, I finally acceded to my oldest son's desire and relocated to Texas.  My son has a home in Colleyville and I moved to my own small apartment in Euless.  Having fulfilled all tasks that a responsible parent is charged with for properly raising and educating 3 wonderful sons,  I retired and devote my time to playing golf, reading novels, a little cooking, and an afternoon nap. :content: ZZZZzzzzzz.  With golf being a lifelong passion, and still playing to a 12 index, (Senior T) I was looking forward to year-round golf in Texas.  Sadly, I learned that all the talk of the pleasant weather in Texas during the winter months turned out to be a total misrepresentation.  This place is just as cold and uncomfortable in the winter as Long Island is, for all the same reasons, with the exception of snow and ice.  I did manage to get 12 rounds in from Sep - Dec, 2017 but after my last round on Dec 22nd on a 75 degree sunny day, it all came to a screaming halt!  So if you're looking for a place to play golf year round, Texas is not the place.  To be fair, there are other substantial benefits for a senior in Texas, but year-round golf is not one of them.  Ya gotta accept the good with the bad. :whistle:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

Now, wait a second.   I looked up the average temperatures in Colleyville, TX, and compared them to the average temperatures in Long Island, NY, and it's about 20 degrees warmer in Colleyville.  

For example, average high in February: Colleyville 60; Long Island 40.   In March, Colleyville 69; Long Island 48. 

Average Temps in Colleyville

Average Temps in Long Island

It looks like today's temp in Colleyville is 45, so I think you're just hitting a cold spell.  Hang in there, you should be much better of winter-golf-wise in the long run in Colleyville.  

Edited by Marty2019
  • Like 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50s, 60s and a high in the 70s on Saturday for Colleyville, TX. 

Wanna trade?

P.S. - Played nine holes in 35-degree rain yesterday. And I liked it.

Edited by mcanadiens
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ron said:

This place is just as cold and uncomfortable in the winter as Long Island is, for all the same reasons, with the exception of snow and ice.  I did manage to get 12 rounds in from Sep - Dec, 2017 but after my last round on Dec 22nd on a 75 degree sunny day, it all came to a screaming halt!  So if you're looking for a place to play golf year round, Texas is not the place.  

I see an average high of 58 degrees and average low of 40 for the next 15 days including today. How is that as cold and uncomfortable as long island? I looked at the same chart for Long Island and the average high there is 40 for the same timeframe and the average low is 30. 

So your average forecasted high for the next two weeks is 18 degrees warmer and your average low is 10 degrees warmer and youre stating its as cold and as uncomfortable as Long Island is? I dont buy it. 

weather.thumb.png.502546bd4fa11064c77c28fdfd401574.png

I could golf outside in Euless any of those days, and would probably wear shorts some of those days in the 60s. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Well the current temperature in Euless is 39 degrees.  I am 76 years old and that is not golf weather to me.

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

1 minute ago, Ron said:

Well the current temperature in Euless is 39 degrees.  I am 76 years old and that is not golf weather to me.

Just because its cold for a day or two in a row or even a week or two in a row doesnt mean Texas isnt suitable for year round golf. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

You shoulda moved to Florida... :-D 

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Wait - I live near Colleyville, I'm about 20 minutes east, played every weekend up to Christmas. We play in Dallas and Ft. Worth munis on the first tee time of the morning. Okay, it was 38F at times but little wind most of the time, By the 5-6 hole, we were stripping off the jackets and sweaters, and sweating as the temps hit 60-65 by the time we finished.

We had a 2-3 week period between Christmas and the first week in January where it was not playable. And today, after 64F yesterday, it started out at 25F.

Played both days this weekend - it was 38F on Saturday with winds of 15-20 mph. NOT pleasant and admittedly, it does something to the body - all 3 of us were inconsistent, moreso than usual - but we learned to deal with it.

And we walk the course - it's one of our foursome's rules. Yesterday, it was pleasant. Sure, it starts at 40F at 7 am, but if you want to play in the afternoon, it was warm yesterday.

I need to play on the weekdays so I can play in the afternoon.

We do have about a month's total time when you can't play on the weekends, but usually there is a day or two during the week when it's warm.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This seems like he's trying to keep the rest of us away from Texas in the winter. This is like how I post whenever Denver gets a huge snowstorm, but not when we get 60 degree days in December-February. :whistle:

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

5 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Wait - I live near Colleyville, I'm about 20 minutes east, played every weekend up to Christmas. We play in Dallas and Ft. Worth munis on the first tee time of the morning. Okay, it was 38F at times but little wind most of the time, By the 5-6 hole, we were stripping off the jackets and sweaters, and sweating as the temps hit 60-65 by the time we finished.

We had a 2-3 week period between Christmas and the first week in January where it was not playable. And today, after 64F yesterday, it started out at 25F.

Played both days this weekend - it was 38F on Saturday with winds of 15-20 mph. NOT pleasant and admittedly, it does something to the body - all 3 of us were inconsistent, moreso than usual - but we learned to deal with it.

And we walk the course - it's one of our foursome's rules. Yesterday, it was pleasant. Sure, it starts at 40F at 7 am, but if you want to play in the afternoon, it was warm yesterday.

I need to play on the weekdays so I can play in the afternoon.

We do have about a month's total time when you can't play on the weekends, but usually there is a day or two during the week when it's warm.

Thanks for a fair reply Mr. D.  I'm a serious player and I averaged over 60 rounds a year for the last 10 years.  It's time for me to kick back a bit anyway.  It's like other things that we do less frequently as we get older but enjoy even more!  :whistle:

Ball-Pro V1

2 minutes ago, Ron said:

Thanks for a fair reply Mr. D.  I'm a serious player and I averaged over 60 rounds a year for the last 10 years.  It's time for me to kick back a bit anyway.  It's like other things that we do less frequently as we get older but enjoy even more!  :whistle:

Move to So. Cal. where it gets too hot for people like me to play in the hot summer months. We're talking like 108 to 115 degree temperatures in the afternoons.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

15 minutes ago, Ron said:

I realize that you were expecting it to be warmer, but this is North Texas - with the emphasis on North. :-)

Actually, it's been a relatively good winter without too much rain (last year was rainy in Nov-Jan). But I can't remember it getting to 14F like it did two days after Christmas. That was cold for NT. And today, I did not expect 25F after 64F yesterday. But that's our weather. By Wed, it's 50, and then between 40-62 for the rest of the week. TIme to play.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have been in Texas my entire life, and all I can say is the only thing predictable about Texas weather is it’s unpredictable. This past year I had two Saturday’s back to back of gorgeous golf that were bookends to a week of freezing temperatures and snow. 60s the first Saturday, as low as  17 during the week, and 70s the next Saturday. 

Hi @Ron! Yeah, this has been a bit unusual weather. I do recall a couple of years in which we were able to play every weekend in the year as well as some during the week when I could. But I also recall my buddy Jim insisting we play the last day and the first day of every year. It was a wall of blue norther ice-storm a few times! (I was a LOT younger then.) Best wishes that you get out soon, Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Texas wants you anyway.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Move to So. Cal. where it gets too hot for people like me to play in the hot summer months. We're talking like 108 to 115 degree temperatures in the afternoons.

That's not the So. Calif. I live at. It's pretty much room temperature all year.

SD ave temp.JPG

Right now:

Screenshot_20180205-145025.png

Edited by No Mulligans

47 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

That's not the So. Calif. I live at. It's pretty much room temperature all year.

SD ave temp.JPG

Right now:

Screenshot_20180205-145025.png

Cough cough, cost of living .... DFW has a great airport and SoCal is only 3 hr away; NorCal a little more, and we get a two hr break. Arrive at 9, tee time by 1 pm!

• Thumbs Up 1

I realize the idea of wanting to be near family and playing golf every day.   That would be an idea retirement.   But..the computer age and research should have helped with your decision to move.    My wife and I are approaching the idea of moving to a warmer climate when she retires but we plan to visit each place a couple times during the season changes.    

Paging @Asheville  are you playing year round?

25 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Cough cough, cost of living .... DFW has a great airport and SoCal is only 3 hr away; NorCal a little more, and we get a two hr break. Arrive at 9, tee time by 1 pm!

Not everyone can afford to live near San Diego but we can dream.    The cost of living is more than double what we have in the midwest.    I can play a lot of golf for the difference.  :whistle:

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!