IGNORED

Orlando Line Up suggestions- 4th Annual trip

Gipper
Note: This thread is 2257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am in the process of planning our 4th annual trip down to Orlando.  We stay in the Kissimmee  area.  We are playing 4 locations and would love to hear any recommended swap out locations.  We prefer resort style over links style.  Any thoughts or recommendations would be great.

Eagle Creek (Looking for a good warm up course before playing more challenging options - we come from up north so we may not have played for a few months outside of simulators)

Orange County National - Panther Lake (have never played)

Champions Gate - North/South/East (love this course - played once)

Falcon Fire (father-in-law loves this course and it is the only one we play each year)

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Falcons fire looked nice but I haven't played it. Orange County is nice and a fun track. If you don't mind spending a bit, I thought Tranquilo was a superb track. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Have you played Celebration Golf Course? It’s in superb shape right now. Your other selections are all good as well. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I'll second Celebration, it's a great track and in excellent shape.  Also, I recently played Panther Lake for the first time and ended up enjoying Crooked Cat more.  Interested in your thoughts after you play it.

Dubsdread is another fun course, located near downtown Orlando.  One of my favorites, always in great shape and has a great restaurant! I also like Stoneybrook West, but neither are "resort style".

Probably my favorite resort course here has been Grand Cypress.  I've played the "New" course twice now, but it's a links course modeled after the Old Course.  They have three others that I hear are also amazing, and the customer service and amenities are top notch.

Enjoy your trip, the weather is perfect right now! 

23 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

Falcons fire looked nice but I haven't played it. Orange County is nice and a fun track. If you don't mind spending a bit, I thought Tranquilo was a superb track. 

I have not read up on or seen Tranquilo yet.  I will have to look it up.  We love playing new courses.  I like Eagle Creek but would not mind somewhere new.

14 hours ago, Eric C said:

I'll second Celebration, it's a great track and in excellent shape.  Also, I recently played Panther Lake for the first time and ended up enjoying Crooked Cat more.  Interested in your thoughts after you play it.

Dubsdread is another fun course, located near downtown Orlando.  One of my favorites, always in great shape and has a great restaurant! I also like Stoneybrook West, but neither are "resort style".

Probably my favorite resort course here has been Grand Cypress.  I've played the "New" course twice now, but it's a links course modeled after the Old Course.  They have three others that I hear are also amazing, and the customer service and amenities are top notch.

Enjoy your trip, the weather is perfect right now! 

I may not be understanding the 'resort course' term and I may be off in it's use.  My father in law is from Chicago and I am from Indy and we just like getting out of the horrible cold and get a chance to play prettier courses than any we get to see on a weekly basis.  We enjoy the quality of the nicer courses but also really like the ever changing nice views as we go.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

I'm a big fan if both OCN courses, and agree that the Crooked Cat is under-rated.  Celebration is good.  I can't recommend Dubsdread unless you just have to play a tight, generally poorly conditioned muni as part of your experience. ;-)  

One other to consider is a bit of a drive, but worth it...El Campeon at Mission Inn.  Different, fun, and always in great shape.  @iacas brought his college golf team down there last year and can lend his thoughts on that course too".

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Does anybody know anything about Legacy Club at Alaqua Lakes or Heathrow CC? I have a reciprocal membership with those clubs and am thinking of heading over there to play them.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Does anybody know anything about Legacy Club at Alaqua Lakes or Heathrow CC? I have a reciprocal membership with those clubs and am thinking of heading over there to play them.

I've played Legacy Club. Worth a trip, for sure. Say hi to Brendan!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I've played Legacy Club. Worth a trip, for sure. Say hi to Brendan!

I'm a member.   Both courses are part of the same overall club. 

Two very good, but distinctly different courses.  Heathrow is a little more open off the tee, but has water on 16 of 18 holes.  Legacy is a bit tighter and a little longer for any given set of tees, but there are enough tee options at each that you can pretty much find the set that matches your game at either.  Very good practice/warm up facilities, locker rooms, and restaurant/grill/lounges at each.  Legacy has an additional small, designated men's lounge, while Heathrow has a single large open grill/lounge.

We're a bit OT here, so if you'd like any other info, shoot me a PM.  :beer:

In David's bag....

Coming over to Orlando in October and will be looking to play maybe 4 /5 rounds  . Don't want to break the bank but don't want to play poor courses either and would appreciate a few pointers . Would rather play natural courses rather than complexes  though I guess I do want to have a go in the Mickey Mouse bunker , come on everyone loves Mickey !

Here are some that I've played

Shingle Creek: 7/10
Celebration: 8/10
Falcon's Fire: 7/10
Orange County National: 9/10
Champions Gate International: 8/10
Southern Dunes: 9/10 (A bit of a hike from Orlando, about 30 minutes south of the airport. If you do not like bunkers then stay away. A great course though).

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 2/8/2018 at 9:15 AM, David in FL said:

I can't recommend Dubsdread unless you just have to play a tight, generally poorly conditioned muni as part of your experience.

Not the first person that has disagreed with me on this course! I get that it's no Celebration, but I like a good muni and when I moved to Orlando last year it was by far in the best shape compared to others I played. But I was a local rookie then, and I've since learned where to play. It's also a bit of a hike for me now, so I haven't been back in about 6 months, but now I'm thinking I might play it this weekend just to spite you. :beer:

Good information, I will be in Orlando in July for 10 days. I'm there to coach an AAU basketball team, but built in a few extra days for some golf. I have played both OCN courses before as well as Falcon's Fire. I even played the Disney Magnolia course about 15 years ago. Maybe I will check out some of the new courses you are suggesting this time around.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

4 hours ago, Eric C said:

Not the first person that has disagreed with me on this course! I get that it's no Celebration, but I like a good muni and when I moved to Orlando last year it was by far in the best shape compared to others I played. But I was a local rookie then, and I've since learned where to play. It's also a bit of a hike for me now, so I haven't been back in about 6 months, but now I'm thinking I might play it this weekend just to spite you. :beer:

Ha!

It is worth a trip just for a buger and beer at The Tap Room though!

In David's bag....

On 2/12/2018 at 8:33 AM, saevel25 said:

Here are some that I've played

Shingle Creek: 7/10
Celebration: 8/10
Falcon's Fire: 7/10
Orange County National: 9/10
Champions Gate International: 8/10
Southern Dunes: 9/10 (A bit of a hike from Orlando, about 30 minutes south of the airport. If you do not like bunkers then stay away. A great course though).

We were booked to play Southern Dunes on a previous trip but had to change due to some issues with their greens.  Will have to look at getting it back on the roster because I have heard this a lot 

On 2/12/2018 at 12:55 PM, David in FL said:

It is worth a trip just for a buger and beer at The Tap Room though!

I did get out to Dubsdread on Saturday, and gotta say that it remains a personal favorite. I do agree the fairways are generally tight, but they are well maintained, as are the greens, and the course offers a forgivable challenge.  I played with two really nice guys from out of town here on a golf trip, and we had a great time.

At the restaurant I prefer burgers over bugers, but that's just me ... :whistle:  

Note: This thread is 2257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!