IGNORED

2018 Genesis Open (Riviera, Hogan's Alley)

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 2256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is probably my favorite tour stop on the "west coast swing". There are a handful of golf courses that I would love to play (but probably never get to), and this is one of them. Just curious if any of the forum members have ever had the chance to play it. I would put Riviera in my Pine Valley, Augusta National, Shinnecock, Seminole GC, bucket list.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to 2018 Genesis Open (Riviera, Hogan's Alley)
  • Administrator

I wouldn't put it in my top 30 to play, probably, but I'm sure it's in my top 100.

That said, I'm again excited to see what Tiger has for us this week. Maybe he can find a fairway?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Everyone says Rivera is a great course, but the only holes that really memorable to me are 10 and 18. I guess i don't get the mystique of it. 

If tiger drives it the way he did at Torrey, he's going to miss the cut by a mile. I dont know how long Rivera is, but it cant be as long as Torrey South is, so maybe he doesn't have to hit as many drivers anyway. 

Geoff Shackleford said on the ShackHouse podcast that he thought this was the best field the tournament has ever had. It definitely is stacked. 

But I'm mostly watching for Tiger. Not to turn this into a Shackhouse podcast ad, but they seem to think that he'll have an easier time hitting fairways at Riviera. I don't know enough about the course to really make that distinction, but I do think that he'll be better, because he couldn't be any worse off the tee than he was at Torrey! 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

17 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

Geoff Shackleford said on the ShackHouse podcast that he thought this was the best field the tournament has ever had. It definitely is stacked. 

But I'm mostly watching for Tiger. Not to turn this into a Shackhouse podcast ad, but they seem to think that he'll have an easier time hitting fairways at Riviera. I don't know enough about the course to really make that distinction, but I do think that he'll be better, because he couldn't be any worse off the tee than he was at Torrey! 

I agree with the fact Tiger can't drive it any worse. If he even vaguely drives it better, he'll play well. He doesn't have to hit 14 out of 14 fairways to drive it better either.  7 fairways a day with no 50 yard misses... You're going to miss fairways... 

I'm interested to see how DJ rebounds from the train wreck this weekend at Pebble Beach. With a very, strong field, a lot of World Ranking points will be up for a grabs. A win by Tiger (not sure this will happen here), moves him up a lot. I'm interested to see, how everyone plays the 10th hole.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I'm interested to see how DJ rebounds from the train wreck this weekend at Pebble Beach.

:hmm: Train wreck?

Dude shot even par 72 in the last round and finished T2. Decidedly not a train wreck.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Saw this on twitter, thought it was interesting:

Granted, Tiger hasn't played here in a while, but that's a pretty heady list not to be on.

• Informative 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Looks the same to me. Will he figure out this apparatus this week?

What the hell?

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.13.39 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Guessing this is Tommy Fleetwood Mac You Can Go Your Own Way

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

54 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

What the hell?

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.13.39 PM.png

I think that's the "roll your foot" training aid.

https://www.dwquailgolf.com/training/tour_foot.html

idk if that's the exact one, but it's the same concept, I think. 

• Informative 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

7 hours ago, iacas said:

, I'm again excited to see what Tiger has for us this week. Maybe he can find a fairway?

WHOA WHOA - slow down there.

baby steps  ;-)  (I hope he puts another piece of his game together too - it would be fun)

Bill - 

35 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

I think that's the "roll your foot" training aid.

https://www.dwquailgolf.com/training/tour_foot.html

idk if that's the exact one, but it's the same concept, I think. 

I'm guessing Vijay Singh has a roomful of contraptions in his home that would make Roy McAvoy envious.

• Like 1

Steve

• Administrator

I think the Tiger swing looked different. Not quite as far left.

Any difference is going to be very very small.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think the Tiger swing looked different. Not quite as far left.

Any difference is going to be very very small.

Hey if that means more fairways, bueno.

Steve

15 hours ago, iacas said:

:hmm: Train wreck?

Dude shot even par 72 in the last round and finished T2. Decidedly not a train wreck.

What I meant was he was cruising on Saturday and shot 38 on the back and just lost a lot of momentum.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Is this meta or what? I want a dream within a dream within a dream!

Steve

• Administrator

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 2256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!