IGNORED

Who makes the better ball? Bridgestone, Srixon, Taylormade

Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ball selection is a personal deal per each golfer. Which ever brand that golfer thinks is the best, then that is the best brand for that golfer

Myself, I like the Bridgestone stuff. I like them because I can buy them just about anywhere. Price is good, and the playability is really good too.........for my game. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Up and Down from Value Ball to Tour Premium ball kind of opinion... let's go through the lines of the "Big Five"

Titleist: DT TruSoft (OK), Velocity (Good ball for the money), NXT Tour and Tour S (Not Good at this price point), Tour Soft (Not Good at this price point), Pro V1 and Pro V1x (Exceptional).

Callaway: Supersoft (Excellent at this price point), Superhot (Good ball for the money), Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X (Excellent)

Bridgestone: E6 series (Awesome especially for most golfers), B330 series (The RX and RXS are very good balls, I really am not a huge fan of the B330-S but the standard is very good)

Srixon: Soft Feel (Great Ball for the money, probably the best 2 piece ball on the market), Q Star and Q Star Tour (Excellent ball at the price point Especially the Q Star Tour with the Urethane Cover that's awesome), Z star series (mehhh... they are ok)

TaylorMade: Burner< Aeroburner stuff you find at Wal-Mart (actually a great ball for the money, Project (a) either the best ball at the price point or a very close second, TP5 and TP5x (middle of the pack)....

After figuring all of that out in front of you, It is basically a wash... All companies make great balls just some are better than others at certain price points or certain golfers they are targeting, Srixon has probably the best Value Ball on the market. TaylorMade and Bridgestone own the middle. Titleist and Callaway own the premium market. It's a tie....

I think we should have a test, in which we paint over the logos and mark the balls with handwritten numbers so we know which ball is which for our test and hand a couple sleeves to 5 foursomes which six different balls and have them play 3 holes with each ball.... letting us know which ball would win... then we would know who makes the best ball.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator

How about a company not listed above?

There's a LOT more out there than those three. TaylorMade didn't even really have a ball until "recently." 2006 or so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What do you mean by "better"?  

Find the individual ball that best suits your needs regardless of manufacturer.  That's the better ball....for you.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

7 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Up and Down from Value Ball to Tour Premium ball kind of opinion... let's go through the lines of the "Big Five"

Titleist: DT TruSoft (OK), Velocity (Good ball for the money), NXT Tour and Tour S (Not Good at this price point), Tour Soft (Not Good at this price point), Pro V1 and Pro V1x (Exceptional).

Callaway: Supersoft (Excellent at this price point), Superhot (Good ball for the money), Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X (Excellent)

Bridgestone: E6 series (Awesome especially for most golfers), B330 series (The RX and RXS are very good balls, I really am not a huge fan of the B330-S but the standard is very good)

Srixon: Soft Feel (Great Ball for the money, probably the best 2 piece ball on the market), Q Star and Q Star Tour (Excellent ball at the price point Especially the Q Star Tour with the Urethane Cover that's awesome), Z star series (mehhh... they are ok)

TaylorMade: Burner< Aeroburner stuff you find at Wal-Mart (actually a great ball for the money, Project (a) either the best ball at the price point or a very close second, TP5 and TP5x (middle of the pack)....

After figuring all of that out in front of you, It is basically a wash... All companies make great balls just some are better than others at certain price points or certain golfers they are targeting, Srixon has probably the best Value Ball on the market. TaylorMade and Bridgestone own the middle. Titleist and Callaway own the premium market. It's a tie....

I think we should have a test, in which we paint over the logos and mark the balls with handwritten numbers so we know which ball is which for our test and hand a couple sleeves to 5 foursomes which six different balls and have them play 3 holes with each ball.... letting us know which ball would win... then we would know who makes the best ball.

Thanks for your answer, I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

What do you mean by "better"?  

Best quality

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

I play the srixon z star or callaway chrome soft as my premium ball choice.  I feel they both perform better than the prov1; for me of course.   Plus, the price points are pretty good in comparison to prov1.  I have played Taylormade and Bridgestone a bunch.  They are both good balls; but when it comes time to buy, for some reason I am typically getting the srixon or callaway.  So, I would say Srixon to your question.

Edited by Nutsmacker

So many choices out there.  if your just looking at the ones in the OP i think your best bet is to grab some balls, find an indoor place that has a GC2 launch monitor and put it in " club fitting mode".  From there you can color code etc.. What you hit.  We have a couple at work and I did it one night with the prov1 and prov1x because I can never tell the difference when I play.

You probably know enough about your game to be able to narrow the choices down and compare like types. 

I know for me there is not a significant difference between balls with similar construction.

45 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Best quality

They all make very high quality balls with various, and vastly different playing characteristics.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

48 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Best quality

They're all comparable. It's not like the big name brands are cutting corners in production, especially if they want to remain competitive.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

One of them has to be getting higher ratings than the others. Somebody tests them and rates them on overall quality i would think.

Don't you shank no more 

1 hour ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

One of them has to be getting higher ratings than the others. Somebody tests them and rates them on overall quality i would think.

You're going to have to define your metrics of quality, then.

They all make high end products; one company's ball isn't likely to split apart or the covering peel off after the first few hits or something, like a cheap knock-off watch would leave marks on your arm. That's not really how that works.

I trust the QC processes of the major manufacturers because if they made an inferior product compared to their competition, the market would reflect that and people wouldn't buy it.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
3 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

That's not how it works.

They all make a quality product. Which product works best for you is up to you to determine. But undoubtedly the other balls will work better for some other people.

You can also get a quality product from:

• Titleist
  • Vice
  • Snell
  • KickX
  • Callaway
  • many, many others
  • Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's not how it works.

They all make a quality product. Which product works best for you is up to you to determine. But undoubtedly the other balls will work better for some other people.

You can also get a quality product from:

• Titleist
  • Vice
  • Snell
  • KickX
  • Callaway
  • many, many others

Like I said, in my post on this... On just quality of the balls, it's a wash between most brands. Which ball performs the best? That's up to the individual golfer to decide. Which @iacas is what you said, with a little different wording.

@MrGolfguy67 even when Golf Digest does their Hot List for Golf Balls, it's based on performance, and not quality. To answer your question in terms of quality, it's a wash between Bridgestone, Srixon, and Taylormade.

With performance it depends on the target golfer. They all have a good tour caliber ball. They all have a good mid-range ball. Taylormade falls a little beneath the other two in the under $28 a dozen category.

Edited by onthehunt526
Forgot info

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Reiterating what everyone else has said they all make a good product. I personally have never found a ball that performed, for me, as well as the Titleist ProV1x. Working at a golf course allows me the opportunity to play just about every ball out there, Callaway, Srixon, Bridgestone, Snell, Vice, Taylormade, Kirkland, Volvik, and even crappy Nike. I always come back to Titleist, closest I have found to the ProV1x is the Chrome Soft.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Thanks for the replies, i've been playing a Nike ball for the past 2-3 years that I like OK. Was just wondering if I could get a better quality ball in the $20/dozen range from Srixon, Bridgestone, or Taylormade.

Don't you shank no more 

Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!