IGNORED

Changing Balls During Play

burr
Note: This thread is 1886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All the balls I play are branded in a straight line or have a putting line already on them.  On the tee, I tend to aim that line with my intended shot line.

I had a lengthy hiatus in golf between high school competitive golf and Old Farts league golf, and I somehow missed that you could not substitute a "putting" ball when you replaced after marking on the green.  Funny, though, the Old Farts never noticed that the ball that came out of my pocket was never the one that went in.

Not knowing the rule, I inadvertently gave myself away.

Another funny, I would never now play with the ball that used to be my putting ball.  Another golfer once showed me that it is actually slightly bigger than other golf balls, when it would not fit in a ball washer.  I've seen other say the same thing.  I was surprised.

Oh yeah, you have to play the same ball from tee to in the hole, and if you are a pro, you have to play the same brand a type the entire round . . . but, then, if you are a pro, you already know that.

Edited by Cartboy

• iacas changed the title to Changing Balls During Play
7 hours ago, Cartboy said:

All the balls I play are branded in a straight line or have a putting line already on them.  On the tee, I tend to aim that line with my intended shot line.

I had a lengthy hiatus in golf between high school competitive golf and Old Farts league golf, and I somehow missed that you could not substitute a "putting" ball when you replaced after marking on the green.  Funny, though, the Old Farts never noticed that the ball that came out of my pocket was never the one that went in.

Not knowing the rule, I inadvertently gave myself away.

Another funny, I would never now play with the ball that used to be my putting ball.  Another golfer once showed me that it is actually slightly bigger than other golf balls, when it would not fit in a ball washer.  I've seen other say the same thing.  I was surprised.

Oh yeah, you have to play the same ball from tee to in the hole, and if you are a pro, you have to play the same brand a type the entire round . . . but, then, if you are a pro, you already know that.

I’ve been playing since 1985 and a “putting ball” was never allowed. 

I’d be surprised if this was ever allowed, legally, but I’ve been surprised before. 

1 hour ago, Augster said:

I’d be surprised if this was ever allowed, legally, but I’ve been surprised before. 

You’re right.  Never.

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Augster said:

Did someone say it was ever allowed?

Guess I've been playing since about 1960.

🤯

(Rule 15-1 states: "A player must hole out with the ball played from the teeing ground ...")

Edited by Cartboy

1 hour ago, Cartboy said:

(Rule 15-1 states: "A player must hole out with the ball played from the teeing ground ...")

It's 6.3a now.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

1 minute ago, Missouri Swede said:

It's 6.3a now.

That's what I get for copy-and-pasting from the internet.

The rule I most have paid attention to over the years is 16.1 (unless that number has changed, too), since I putted Sam Snead style until that rule changed after my competitive years.  I still putt side-saddle, and I still have other golfers telling me it's illegal.  Actually, I wish I still had my croquet-style putter, because I could use it side-saddle.

What were we talking about?

As far as rules go, I tolerate them being selectively ignored by those I golf with.  They ignore the ones they want to ignore, and call you on the ones they want you not to ignore.

5 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

The rule I most have paid attention to over the years is 16.1 (unless that number has changed, too)

That's now in 13.1.   With several changes to what is allowed.

Summaries of rules changes:

pdf: https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/rules-modernization/New-Rules/summary-of-main/Summary of Main Changes_2019 Rules of Golf_FINAL.pdf

videos: http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/major-changes.html

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Not that it matters, but since you're "Missouri" Swede, if you wanna play in Branson, at the #1 rated course in Missouri, on the cheap, let me know.  Of course, you'll have to play in my group to get the "cheap" part.

I'll go look at the stance rule.

Now that I looked, I see that 16 has changed, but I can't find the "Astride" rule in 13.  It used to be 16.1, when 16 was "Putting Green."

All I find in a google-search is the old 16.1 stance rule.

I guess what you're saying is that the new rule saying you can now touch the line of putt replaces the old "astride" rule (16.1).

So does that mean I can find another croquet-style putter, and straddle the line?

(I dunno what the golf gods ever had against Sam Snead.)

Edited by Cartboy

32 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

Not that it matters, but since you're "Missouri" Swede, if you wanna play in Branson, at the #1 rated course in Missouri, on the cheap, let me know.  Of course, you'll have to play in my group to get the "cheap" part.

I'll go look at the stance rule.

Now that I looked, I see that 16 has changed, but I can't find the "Astride" rule in 13.  It used to be 16.1, when 16 was "Putting Green."

All I find in a google-search is the old 16.1 stance rule.

I guess what you're saying is that the new rule saying you can now touch the line of putt replaces the old "astride" rule (16.1).

So does that mean I can find another croquet-style putter, and straddle the line?

(I dunno what the golf gods ever had against Sam Snead.)

Check 10.1.c for the requirement that you cannot stand with one foot on either side of the line of play, or with a foot touching the line of play.

As for your old croquet-style putter, it might not be legal under the equipment rules.  I believe that Bryson had a home-made putter disqualified because it was too upright, much like a croquet-style putter is.  The shaft has to be at least 10* from vertical.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Check 10.1.c for the requirement that you cannot stand with one foot on either side of the line of play, or with a foot touching the line of play.

As for your old croquet-style putter, it might not be legal under the equipment rules.  I believe that Bryson had a home-made putter disqualified because it was too upright, much like a croquet-style putter is.  The shaft has to be at least 10* from vertical.

Yup, 10.1(C) does it.  I had seen that, but missed it because "Astride" is no longer there.

Not all croquet putters are straight upright.  From the clubhead, mine went "straight" up a few inches, then angled toward me.  The shaft was attached to the clubhead at the center, not at one end.  So, it was both left and right handed.

Image result for croquet style putters

Yes. 10 degrees minimum. Also, the shaft has to start “being straight” at most 5” above the sole. 

So that particular club wouldn’t be conforming, but there are conforming side saddle putters out there. 

9 hours ago, Augster said:

Yes. 10 degrees minimum. Also, the shaft has to start “being straight” at most 5” above the sole. 

So that particular club wouldn’t be conforming, but there are conforming side saddle putters out there. 

My croquet putter did not have as long a vertical run as the one pictured.  That pic was just the first one I found.  I saw one the other day with Sam Snead using as "bent" croquet putter, but most of his pics are with a straight-shafted croquet putter.

For me, side-saddle is totally natural and comfortable.  When I'm on, I'm really on, and when I'm really on, someone else in the group always tries it, and they always look totally uncomfortable.  If you can't just step up and putt the ball comfortably side-saddle, don't.

21 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

My croquet putter did not have as long a vertical run as the one pictured.  That pic was just the first one I found.  I saw one the other day with Sam Snead using as "bent" croquet putter, but most of his pics are with a straight-shafted croquet putter.

For me, side-saddle is totally natural and comfortable.  When I'm on, I'm really on, and when I'm really on, someone else in the group always tries it, and they always look totally uncomfortable.  If you can't just step up and putt the ball comfortably side-saddle, don't.

The 10* that @Augster mentioned means that the straight portion of the shaft cannot extend straight up when viewed from the hole, it must be inclined towards the player.  You can see this on pages 22 and following in the Equipment Rules:

.  http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/Equipment Rules Final.pdf

Essentially, the club cannot be designed to allow it to be used with the shaft vertical.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

16 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The 10* that @Augster mentioned means that the straight portion of the shaft cannot extend straight up when viewed from the hole, it must be inclined towards the player.  You can see this on pages 22 and following in the Equipment Rules:

.  http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/Equipment Rules Final.pdf

Essentially, the club cannot be designed to allow it to be used with the shaft vertical.

Yeah, that was not lost on me.  What I was describing was pre-1968.  Remember then?

Note: This thread is 1886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!