IGNORED

Pine Needles to Host 2022 U.S. Women's Open

iacas
Note: This thread is 2226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

LIBERTY CORNER, N.J. (Feb. 27, 2018) -  Pine Needles Lodge & Golf Club in Southern Pines, N.C., has been selected by the USGA as the host site for the 77th U.S. Women’s Open in 2022. The championship, considered the ultimate test in women’s golf, will be held June 2-5.

All images courtesy of the USGA, and ©USGA.

Pine Needles Lodge.jpg

The 2022 U.S. Women’s Open will be the seventh USGA championship and record fourth U.S. Women’s Open contested at Pine Needles, which is also set to host the 2nd U.S. Senior Women’s Open in 2019. The USGA was last at Pine Needles for the 2007 U.S. Women’s Open, when Cristie Kerr won the first of her two majors with a two-stroke victory over Lorena Ochoa and Angela Park.

2017 Pine Needles 3rd 8734 KM.jpg

“We are thrilled to bring another U.S. Women’s Open to one of the most respected courses in the United States,” said Stuart Francis, USGA Championship Committee chairman. “Three great USGA champions have conquered the ultimate test in women’s golf at Pine Needles, and we look forward to adding the 77th U.S. Women’s Open champion to that illustrious list.”

2017 Pine Needles 9th 8916 KM.jpg

In addition to Kerr’s victory in 2007, Pine Needles also played host to the 2001 U.S. Women’s Open, won by Karrie Webb, and the 1996 U.S. Women’s Open, won by Annika Sorenstam.

2017 Pine Needles 13th 8773 KM.jpg

“Pine Needles is, if not my favorite U.S. Women’s Open venue, it’s in the top three,” said Webb, whose 2001 victory was her second straight Women’s Open title. “Pine Needles [in 1996] was my very first U.S. Open I ever played in, and then when we went back in 2001, I was so excited to be there as a defending champion. Obviously, it was a special week where I played fantastic golf at a tremendous golf course. I’ll always have special memories of Pine Needles.”

2017 Pine Needles 13th 8776 KM.jpg

Designed by Donald Ross and opened in 1928, Pine Needles was renovated in 2004 by John Fought, who oversaw the restoration of greens and bunkers to their original forms with the aid of vintage aerial photos. In the summer of 2016, Kyle Franz was brought in to assist with a green rebuilding and bunker restoration project that aimed to maximize hole locations. The club, which was owned by women’s golf advocate, renowned instructor and LPGA Tour charter member Peggy Kirk Bell from 1953 until her death in 2016, also hosted the 1989 U.S. Girls’ Junior and 1991 U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur championships.

2017 Pine Needles 13th 8885 KM.jpg

“To host the most prestigious event in women’s golf for the fourth time speaks to our longstanding relationship with the USGA, and we’re honored they accepted our invitation to host the Women’s Open in 2022,” said Kelly Miller, president and CEO of Pine Needles. “The Donald Ross-designed course has already crowned three memorable Women’s Open champions, and we’re confident it will again be a welcoming yet challenging host for the world’s best players. I can only imagine how happy Mrs. Bell would have been to host another Women’s Open.”

2017 Pine Needles 14th 8758.jpg

Bell is largely credited with being the driving force behind Pine Needles hosting its first three U.S. Women’s Opens.

This will be the 34th USGA championship contested in North Carolina, which most recently hosted the 2017 U.S. Amateur Four-Ball Championship at Pinehurst Resort & Country Club, in the Village of Pinehurst. Upcoming USGA championships in the Tar Heel State include the 2018 U.S. Mid-Amateur at Charlotte Country Club, the 2019 U.S. Senior Women’s Open, the 2019 U.S. Amateur at Pinehurst and the 2019 U.S. Senior Amateur at Old Chatham Golf Club. Pinehurst No. 2 will also host the 2024 U.S. Open.

2017 Pine NEEDLES 16th 8848.jpg

Upcoming U.S. Women’s Open Championships will be contested May 31-June 3, 2018, at Shoal Creek (Ala.); May 30-June 2, 2019, at the Country Club of Charleston (S.C.); June 4-7, 2020, at Champions Golf Club in Houston, Texas; June 3-6, 2021, at The Olympic Club in San Francisco, Calif.; and June 1-4, 2023, at Pebble Beach (Calif.) Golf Links in Pebble Beach.

All images courtesy of the USGA, and ©USGA.

2017 Pine NEEDLES 16th 8848.jpg2017 Pine Needles 16th 8942 KM.jpgPINE NEEDLES 11TH 0253.jpgPine Needles 16th 0424.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned this topic

Beautiful course! Reminds me of Pine Dunes here in Texas where I will be playing in March. Obviously, Pine Needles is a finer course, but there are similarities for certain. Looks like a great spot for a US Open or any USGA event.

Whats the premium here..position off the tee or being deadly accurate on approach shots? Doesn't look like much room to miss around the greens...

9 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Beautiful course! Reminds me of Pine Dunes here in Texas where I will be playing in March. Obviously, Pine Needles is a finer course, but there are similarities for certain. Looks like a great spot for a US Open or any USGA event.

Whats the premium here..position off the tee or being deadly accurate on approach shots? Doesn't look like much room to miss around the greens...

Both.  I played here over Thanksgiving.  The renovations have made this a lot like Pinehurst #2, which we saw in 2014 US Opens  Its basically fairway-cut grass, bunkers, and sandy waste areas.  Like many Donald Ross courses, you have some room off the tee, but you'll need the right position to attack a flag.  Like many Ross courses, the edges of the greens won't feed the ball towards the hole, they'll eject shots away from the greens.  Its a really good golf course, I'm looking forward to it.  

Edited by DaveP043
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

holy macaroni, what a beautiful course! 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I'm selfish in that if it holds a men's USO, the green fees will probably skyrocket. Let the masses pay whatever exorbitant amount it is for #2, I'll opt for PN at half the price, half the pomp & circumstance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This, is an awesome hole.

Someone finish up, I can't do them all now.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

There doesn't seem to be a video of 15. Or 16. Or 17, or 18.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm part of a group that goes to the Sandhills every few years; and IMO one of the best days is when we play 36 at PN and Mid Pines. I tend to favor Mid Pines, but that could relate to the bar & patio

Players play, tough players win!

• 2 weeks later...

I love Pine Needles. A great venue for the US Women's Open. It's a beautiful golf course.

• iacas unpinned this topic
Note: This thread is 2226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!