IGNORED

Going to The Masters?

FLOG4
Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I did have the pleasure of going once...In 2001. Have a hankering to get back. Badges are so expensive. Has anyone ever gone and gotten a ticket once you were there? How did that work out? 

• iacas changed the title to Going to The Masters?
  • Administrator

You can contact one of our sponsors…

https://thesandtrap.com/announcement/26-experience-augusta-and-the-masters-this-year/

Also, I think @jamo, @jsgolfer, and some others are going this year.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll be there for the Tuesday practice round this year. It's my first year going. I've never really thought about trying to get a ticket the day of, so I can't speak to that, unfortunately. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I got my tickets through the Master’s Lottery, this will be my second time for the Wednesday par three.  Last year was a washout.

@coachjimsc is going.

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Curious @jamo, @jsgolfer, how far in advance did you book your hotel/Airbnb? Are the step-up rates because of the event crazy or what you expected?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I put in for the lottery every year. Still waiting on a lucky draw.   I have attended many upscale events where many corporate invitees back out at last minute....and many tickets are just hanging. Two Ryder Cups and US Opens. 

@iacas I appreciate the link to the sponsor who notes his rates are 10% below others. I just think if you just show up.....A deal may be had. That's my opinion.   

58 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Curious @jamo, @jsgolfer, how far in advance did you book your hotel/Airbnb? Are the step-up rates because of the event crazy or what you expected?

We booked our VRBO about 4 months ago but we are also staying about an hour away from Augusta. So the price wasn’t that bad. But home rentals in and near Augusta were ridiculous.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Ouch

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 8.07.57 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

13 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Ouch

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 7.55.51 PM.png

We are staying over by Lake Greenwood, much more reasonable, but much longer commute to the course.  But we are only going in one day, so not that bad.  I think we are spending about $125/night for a three bedroom place on the water.

Edited by jsgolfer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

-Jerry

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

We are staying over by Lake Greenwood, much more reasonable, but much longer commute to the course.  But we are only going in one day, so not that bad.  I think we are spending about $125/night for a three bedroom place on the water.

Yeah that's more like it. 

Steve

9 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Yeah that's more like it. 

And we’re splitting the cost with another couple so with fees I think we are paying $275/couple

-Jerry

Media goes gaga about the cheap food inside the grounds, but the captive audience situation lifts the price of everything else I'm gonna guess,  gas, restaurants, etc... I eye roll every time. Look, pimento sandwich is a bargain. OK.

Steve

The Masters is much like playing the Old at St Andrews....There is a system in place which allows for you to participate at an equitable price. A lottery well before hand. I know the systems well. My simple question was....Has anyone just gone last minute? How did that work out? The one time I did go was when they still had the corporate sponsors and I went with Travelers. They had a corporate building on the first hole in the woods on the right. Painted green as to blend in. Got to have dinner with Hal Sutton who was sponsored by them. They stayed in outskirts of Columbia and took a bus in. They had about 60 guests attend.  Except the big executives who had a house down town and that's where we had dinner with Hal and Co. So on one hand you can attend this event at a fair price. On the other hand the market price for attending is vast multiples of the face value.   

On 3/3/2018 at 10:24 AM, FLOG4 said:

The Masters is much like playing the Old at St Andrews....There is a system in place which allows for you to participate at an equitable price. A lottery well before hand. I know the systems well. My simple question was....Has anyone just gone last minute? How did that work out? The one time I did go was when they still had the corporate sponsors and I went with Travelers. They had a corporate building on the first hole in the woods on the right. Painted green as to blend in. Got to have dinner with Hal Sutton who was sponsored by them. They stayed in outskirts of Columbia and took a bus in. They had about 60 guests attend.  Except the big executives who had a house down town and that's where we had dinner with Hal and Co. So on one hand you can attend this event at a fair price. On the other hand the market price for attending is vast multiples of the face value.   

About 7-8 years ago I drove up there with a buddy on Friday night and we tried to get tickets. We struck out all morning (on Saturday) but eventually a guy sold us a couple of his tickets and we got in on Saturday afternoon. We stayed for Sunday and were able to get a couple tickets that afternoon .  We paid 150.00 bucks for Sunday. 200.00 on Saturday. I don't think you can get tickets that way anymore because they scan your ticket when you leave so you can't get back in. I saw people selling tickets on Saturday and Sunday so I think you can get them if you really want them.

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

So I have done some digging and find this Berckmans Place listing....Not only can you go to the Masters but they have a special place for you with unlimited food and beverage...And a Monday only pass can be had for $3750......Yikes. 

I have a close friend that works deals with whatever station broadcasts the tourney so that’s his weekend, he goes every year, gets his tickets from the broadcasters, so I keep saying to him, one of these years, but so far I haven’t. It’s not an easy commute for me. The good news is I’ve scored a few dozen golf balls, because they give him some every year and he never uses them. So I’ve sprayed ESPN logo balls all across my travels. Well I’m not that bad but I have lost a few.

Aloha,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Attending The Masters is still on my bucket list. I still remember watching it with my Dad in the 60's on b&w TV.  He so loved the game and that tournament but never had the chance to go.  We talked about it years later, but as with so many things failed to take time serious.  I've been watching it on TV every year ever since - my favorite sporting event and the best major IMHO. I want to go for the both of us. It looks like one needs to plan 1-2 years out in order to get tickets and lodging.  Who on the forum is attending this year or attended in recent years? What tips and advice can you offer those of us who still have that bucket list item unchecked?  Thanks

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

I've been twice.  2008 and 2011.  The only advice I can provide (based solely on personal experience) is to not be surprised if a guy from South Africa wins.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!