IGNORED

2018 Arnold Palmer Invitational

colin007
Note: This thread is 2230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

My only gripe with Johnny is his insistence upon reviewing a player's swing after they've hit it OB or something and during the slow mo, describe precisely why the shot went where it went.

I hate that too, but that's everyone on TV.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

I hate that too, but that's everyone on TV.

Wouldn't it be cool though to see them guess from the slow mo?

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

Wouldn't it be cool though to see them guess from the slow mo?

I'm going to answer "no."

Nor is it a sign that they don't know anything. I know quite a bit and I couldn't tell you where the balls went. 3° can create a HUGE difference, and their swings look basically the same as their awesome swings:

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like the "He saved it at impact by rotating the clubface" comments. Is it just fluff to give them something to say or do they actually believe they can see all these things on the shots that end up somewhere other than the ideal spot? I've always been of the assumption that most poor shots are a result of the clubface being slightly off, or the swing path for some reason. Details you can't see even on a slow motion shot, and they call the error on the live feed at normal speed.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Zeph said:

I've always been of the assumption that most poor shots are a result of the clubface being slightly off, or the swing path for some reason. Details you can't see even on a slow motion shot, and they call the error on the live feed at normal speed.

Yup.

10 minutes ago, Zeph said:

I like the "He saved it at impact by rotating the clubface" comments. Is it just fluff to give them something to say or do they actually believe they can see all these things on the shots that end up somewhere other than the ideal spot? I've always been of the assumption that most poor shots are a result of the clubface being slightly off, or the swing path for some reason. Details you can't see even on a slow motion shot, and they call the error on the live feed at normal speed.

Perhaps from their own golf career, they may know these tid bits without seeing them. From past experience, they know what the golfer did based on what the ball flight showed them. 

Plus, they are paid to be entertaining, and comments seemingly without substance is considered entertaining by them, and their network. 

I always thought it was funny they would discribe the shots that we are already seeing. It was like they were radio commentators. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I'm going to answer "no."

Nor is it a sign that they don't know anything. I know quite a bit and I couldn't tell you where the balls went. 3° can create a HUGE difference, and their swings look basically the same as their awesome swings:

I didn't mean to suggest that they "don't know anything" but I find it odd that you would agree that calling the shot accurately only after seeing the result is BS but then you wouldn't be inclined to question the slo mo assumptions they make.

Whatever....as I said, I like Johnny but that part is annoying to me.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

I didn't mean to suggest that they "don't know anything" but I find it odd that you would agree that calling the shot accurately only after seeing the result is BS but then you wouldn't be inclined to question the slo mo assumptions they make.

It is BS. Their slow-motion swings that produce bad results would look almost exactly like their slow-motion swings that produce good results, particularly since the camera angles are never exactly consistent, they're often swinging different clubs and/or trying to hit a slightly different shape, etc.

The whole point of linking to that existing topic is to expand on that: those swings look identical but one shot is a cold shake, the other was flushed.

I don't even pay attention to the things they say, because I know better. I know you can't look at one swing and say "aha, that right there, that's why they hit a bad shot." That is what is bullshit.

I'm very good at what I do, and I can look at a swing and say "this right here is a big part of why this golfer tends to hit pulls and cuts" (for example), but I can't look at a video of a golfer prior to impact and definitively tell you what the ball is going to do… not for a good player who hits a LOT of good or great shots. Their swing will look "good" and the same as when they hit those good/great shots.

2 hours ago, Zeph said:

You don't like how Johnny goes "Watch him hit down on it and hit a trap draw!" or "Look how he goes down after it like Tevino and hits the SQUEEZE fade!"?

Trollin' is the life

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Pretty good result going against March Madness. Similar rating to 3 of the majors last year and they didn't have that kind of competition.

6 hours ago, NEhomer said:

My only gripe with Johnny is his insistence upon reviewing a player's swing after they've hit it OB or something and during the slow mo, describe precisely why the shot went where it went.

I'd love to see him watch slow mo swings and without seeing the result, tell us where the ball goes.

Yeah, that's my problem with him, too.  He reminds me of the guys on the business channels who can tell you exactly why the market went up or down yesterday, but have no clue about what it will do today.

Also his frequent claims to know where the ball is going by the sound of it.  I'd love to see him do that blindfolded.

I have no problem with him calling a bad shot a bad shot, but who doesn't do that?  And there's no need to be nasty about it ("Hogan would puke if he saw that").  IMO it's pretty clear that many announcers, not just Johnny, have chosen to be super-critical just so they can claim to have the balls to tell it like it is, as if it takes balls to sit back and criticize someone for lacking perfection.

I don't mind Miller at all. I actually like him a lot. Jacobson, on Thursday and Friday drove me crazy. At times he'll say something I think is really insightful, but then he'll start sugar coating things, or go into bland mode. I wish he would let loose and just say what's on his mind instead of dancing around things. If he did he might be really good.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

Miller is a bad announcer. I wish they would replace him permanently with Jacobson (without that dumb ass Jake's Takes stuff), or with Feherty (also sans most of his bits).

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jbishop15 said:

Miller is a bad announcer. I wish they would replace him permanently with Jacobson (without that dumb ass Jake's Takes stuff), or with Feherty (also sans most of his bits).

I think he's one of the best.

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think he's one of the best.

Yeah, I'm in the minority on this one. He doesn't offer anything swing-wise and I find his comments to be mostly arrogant and unhelpful.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

Yeah, I'm in the minority on this one. He doesn't offer anything swing-wise and I find his comments to be mostly arrogant and unhelpful.

And I think you're basing that on a picture you have of him from 10+ years ago. I don't think you've given him a fresh listen in a decade or more.

Who in his position (color) is better?

I've seen Johnny out at tournament sites at 7am, 8am, scouting out the greens and the hole locations and taking a bunch of notes - himself - seven, eight hours before he's going to be on the air. He's following the grounds crew around. I've seen him on the range talking with people. The man puts in his time, puts in his work. An arrogant man doesn't do that.

Bear in mind that part of his position is to create discussion and interest. Like Brandel. Sometimes they say something ridiculous… it gets people talking. That's part of their job.

Note: This thread is 2230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!