IGNORED

All Final Round Masters Rounds from 1968 Onward

iacas
Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’ve been binge watching these. So awesome. And 1989 Scott Hoch’s missed 2’......tragic.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve been binge watching these. So awesome. And 1989 Scott Hoch’s missed 2’......tragic.

All 3 of Faldo’s green jacket victories featured epic choke jobs by Hoch, Floyd, and Norman. 

21 minutes ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

All 3 of Faldo’s green jacket victories featured epic choke jobs by Hoch, Floyd, and Norman. 

Yes that’s true. And really, not to get @MuniGrit all worked up, but Nicklaus did have a stroke of luck in ‘86 with Seve dunking it in the water, Norman pull hooking his 4i into the crowd. Norman to choke isn’t a big surprise but  Seve? A 65 on Sunday at The Masters is excellent, but just saying.....lol.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

For Faldo and Nick to win, they still had to not play bad themselves. Look at Ben Curtis in 2003 at The Open Championship. He was the only guy in the top 10 after round 3 to shoot under 70 on the last day. Most people will remember Thomas Bjorn collapsing over the final 4 holes.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

20 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

For Faldo and Nick to win, they still had to not play bad themselves. Look at Ben Curtis in 2003 at The Open Championship. He was the only guy in the top 10 after round 3 to shoot under 70 on the last day. Most people will remember Thomas Bjorn collapsing over the final 4 holes.

Yes I agree with this. But as far as the ‘sporting credit’ if you will, winning by kicking your opponents butt just has more merit to me than making fewer mistakes. Like the days of Ivan Lendl/McEnroe. Winning a match by awesome net play and aces is more rewarding IMO than beating someone who had 3X as many unforced errors than the other. Faldo played great in ‘89 but so did Hoch. Missing a 2’ putt was an anomaly. Norman shooting 78 was exactly what Faldo needed to happen. Just not the same to me.

1 hour ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

Normans epic collapse was one of my first introductions to golf. I remember that SI cover vividly. Then tiger won the next year i was hooked. 

4 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Normans epic collapse was one of my first introductions to golf. I remember that SI cover vividly. Then tiger won the next year i was hooked. 

Yeah that was such a colossal collapse! Even the announcers are feeling the pain. I always imagine Norman getting up that day, probably liking his outfit, how it will look in a green jacket. Having some breakfast and staying calm...thinking ‘today’s the day.’ Just must’ve been such a brutal day for him.

38 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah that was such a colossal collapse! Even the announcers are feeling the pain. I always imagine Norman getting up that day, probably liking his outfit, how it will look in a green jacket. Having some breakfast and staying calm...thinking ‘today’s the day.’ Just must’ve been such a brutal day for him.

I was pretty young at the time, so i didn't really have full grasp of Normans collapse until much later when i started playing competitively. But i think back on it wonder "How hell could he lose by 5 with a seven shot lead?" I feel like even I could have brought that tournament home...

55 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I just happened to be watching that live and back then knew nothing about golf, dunno why I kept watching, it was just something about seeing everything fall apart in slow motion.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

14 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Yes that’s true. And really, not to get @MuniGrit all worked up, but Nicklaus did have a stroke of luck in ‘86 with Seve dunking it in the water, Norman pull hooking his 4i into the crowd. Norman to choke isn’t a big surprise but  Seve? A 65 on Sunday at The Masters is excellent, but just saying.....lol.

Why would that get me all worked up? There is usually some good fortunes go your way when you win a major. Freddie in 92, Scott 13, Sergio last year,etc.

Trollin' is the life

1 minute ago, MuniGrit said:

Why would that get me all worked up? There is usually some good fortunes go your way when you win a major. Freddie in 92, Scott 13, Sergio last year,etc.

This is true...sometimes. Tiger didn’t need any help for many of his Major wins. I’m saying that often times somebody wins when they had not otherwise unless an opponent choked. Danny Willet would not have won had Spieth not hit that quad on #13. Faldo wouldn’t have won in ‘89 had Hoch made that putt. Nor would Faldo have won in 96 without tremendous help from Norman.

Phil and Tiger just shot themselves out in classic ways. Tiger had the big miss on 17/18 and Phil missed to dinky putts(don't tell him putting doesn't matter). I barely remember this one as I was on vacation with a GF at the time and missed most of the first round travelling.

Trollin' is the life

As someone who didnt watch these before I started golf.....what are some good ones to watch without giving away results? I know the result but I still intend to watch the Norman collapse.

• Administrator
On 3/29/2018 at 12:39 PM, MuniGrit said:

… Phil missed to dinky putts(don't tell him putting doesn't matter).

Your lame attempts at trolling are easily ignored - or laughed at, really - because nobody has said that, like, ever.

History has shown you don’t and won’t get it, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

As someone who didnt watch these before I started golf.....what are some good ones to watch without giving away results? I know the result but I still intend to watch the Norman collapse.

'75, '86, and '97 are classics, and in some sense, '01 was the most impactful of all.

• Like 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

1 hour ago, turtleback said:

'75, '86, and '97 are classics, and in some sense, '01 was the most impactful of all.

Good call on ‘75. So glad these vids are available! The Masters is just an amazing showcase of golf. I gotta go there.

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Good call on ‘75. So glad these vids are available! The Masters is just an amazing showcase of golf. I gotta go there.

For the first time in my life I am in a position where a bucket list trip to Augusta has shown up on my radar as a real possibility.  It will be expensive, but since I would only be looking to attend the Mon and Tue practice rounds, hopefully not prohibitive.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!