IGNORED

Selecting a New Hybrid

Note: This thread is 2213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Wife has dictated that I need to return the stolen hybrid I have to my son this season.  So I am off to get a new hybrid.  

Question(s)

A) Should your hybrid match your irons, for example I hit Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (5i thru wedge)

B) Should your hybrid match your fairway woods, for example I hit Cobra F7 (Driver, 5W)

C) It doesn't matter, it's a Hybrid and unique from the rest of the club set

Last season I finally learned how to hit a hybrid, before last season I only carried one to hit low punch shots under trees, out of trees and sometimes for a pitch and run.  After learning to hit a hybrid it is now a very important club to me.  I am looking to replace a 4 Hybrid.  

Last year my stolen 4 Hybrid was that 190 to 210ish yard club. 

I look forward to any and all insight I can get, this is one club in the bag that I have never really studied and thus know very little about it.  

Thank you 

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If it was me, the important factor would be that the new club matched my swing. Matching my other clubs, not so important. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I personally liked the Cobra hybrids but having said that I recently purchased a full set of Cleveland HB Launcher irons, (4 through the gap wedge), which are really hybrids. But the 5 and 4 "irons" feel like the Cobras I have, (which are now sitting in my garage with all my other clubs). I don't think they hybrid has to match your set, maybe the woods and if you are hitting a Cobra already I would check them out.

To me, the answer would be C.  I would use whatever works for you, your swing, your eye and especially if you can hit it well.  ps - how about trying to find another hybrid exactly what you had to give back to your son on the BST?

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

4 hours ago, djake said:

The Wife has dictated that I need to return the stolen hybrid I have to my son this season.  So I am off to get a new hybrid.  

Question(s)

A) Should your hybrid match your irons, for example I hit Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (5i thru wedge)

B) Should your hybrid match your fairway woods, for example I hit Cobra F7 (Driver, 5W)

Last season I finally learned how to hit a hybrid, before last season I only carried one to hit low punch shots under trees, out of trees and sometimes for a pitch and run.  After learning to hit a hybrid it is now a very important club to me.  I am looking to replace a 4 Hybrid.  

Last year my stolen 4 Hybrid was that 190 to 210ish yard club. 

I look forward to any and all insight I can get, this is one club in the bag that I have never really studied and thus know very little about it.  

Thank you 

Mostly C. It does not matter one bit. Just find a hybrid that fits that yardage you need it for... Why doesn't your wife let you trade with your son? 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Agree with C...Get what fits, says I. I really like my Mizuno DLR hyybrids and my Clevelands.. But if I took a poll, it would be only me and maybe a good friend who would agree. Good luck, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

20 hours ago, paperclip said:

To me, the answer would be C.  I would use whatever works for you, your swing, your eye and especially if you can hit it well.  ps - how about trying to find another hybrid exactly what you had to give back to your son on the BST?

I tried to find that hybrid on the internet and I think it is just to old.  Best I could see is it was from 2006.

17 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Mostly C. It does not matter one bit. Just find a hybrid that fits that yardage you need it for... Why doesn't your wife let you trade with your son? 

I offered to buy my son a new hybrid and trade just about anything with him for it, except my putter and Driver.  I did offer to him the exact same Driver.  The situation is he inherited the Hybrid from my father so it has a lot of sentimental value to him.  

16 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

Agree with C...Get what fits, says I. I really like my Mizuno DLR hyybrids and my Clevelands.. But if I took a poll, it would be only me and maybe a good friend who would agree. Good luck, -Marv

Thank you for the advice, and I have been pretty much thinking option C:  Going in open minded or as open as I can be.  I do like the Cobra and Mizuno the best overall, but that maybe because I am currently enjoying those clubs now in my bag.  

- Dean

Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6

10 hours ago, djake said:

I tried to find that hybrid on the internet and I think it is just to old.  Best I could see is it was from 2006.

I offered to buy my son a new hybrid and trade just about anything with him for it, except my putter and Driver.  I did offer to him the exact same Driver.  The situation is he inherited the Hybrid from my father so it has a lot of sentimental value to him.  

Thank you for the advice, and I have been pretty much thinking option C:  Going in open minded or as open as I can be.  I do like the Cobra and Mizuno the best overall, but that maybe because I am currently enjoying those clubs now in my bag.  

Cobra does make some nice hybrids as does Mizuno. 

I know someone who I believe has the F6 hybrids. It's a little too adjustable for my taste... But still a good hybrid. 

I personally play the brand new Tour Edge Exotics CBX hybrid which is actually the second most played hybrid on the PGA Tour Champions. This thing is not a hook-machine. If you have a dealer around, I would at least check it out.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 3/30/2018 at 1:58 PM, djake said:

... Question(s)

C) It doesn't matter, it's a Hybrid and unique from the rest of the club set ...

It depends. Hybrids have been around long enough there are two kinds: Traditional - shaft length between woods and numbered irons / and Iron Replacement - made to parallel a model of irons, with shaft lengths and lofts about the same as the numbered irons they would replace.

Mizuno's CLK 2018 hybrids (table below) would be in the traditional camp.

image.png.4dd40461533d89e38096f67ce207f634.png

In comparison, you JPX.900 Forged 5i (24* loft) has a 37.75-inch stock shaft.

One thing: try to get a hybrid with a similar set-up look to your FWs. If your driver and FW have a fairly square face and your hybrids have a lot of offset, chances are you will get left misses with the hybrid.

Most standard hybrids have draw bias, whereas the pro or tour heads have a more square face. You would just have to test the hybrids and see what works.

Another thing to consider is your yardage gaps. How much a gap do you have between your 5i and fairway wood(s)?

As for 4H, you might try the Tour Edge E10. This comes with stock Recoil shafts, and gets the ball up nicely. It has a fixed loft, so it would have better balance (less weight) in the hosel.

They Cobra hybrids are also good; note, however, that the Cobra stock shafts on long clubs are heavier than average, so take this into account. I have R-flex on all my clubs, except for 73-gram Lite Flex shafts in my FlyZ hybrid pair.

• Informative 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

6 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

As for 4H, you might try the Tour Edge E10. This comes with stock Recoil shafts, and gets the ball up nicely. It has a fixed loft, so it would have better balance (less weight) in the hosel.

They're also on sale right now. I think they're down to $169 or $179. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

You have not said what your shot shape is with a hybrid.  Many better players have problems with hybrids hooking.

I have found the Callaway Apex hybrid is more of an anti hook club then most.  I would give them a look.

Get a hybrid to fit the yardage you need. Much of the difficulty in them, lies in trying to be iron replacements. Sometimes, some of them the 3 hybrid is much longer than the iron it replaces and you are better off getting a 4 hybrid. In my case, after my 3 wood. They also have shafts that make them much lighter than the iron and produce inconsistent yardages with that variable. In my case, after my 3 wood, I needed a club that easily gets 200-210 and takes out a 3 iron when backing off on it. I urge you to look at a Callaway XR16 OS.

Edited by mpb1472
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mpb1472 said:

Get a hybrid to fit the yardage you need.

This. 

1 - What's the longest iron you hit well.  Note that yardage.

2 - Driver and 3 Wood (typically) get fit to those.  Note the 3w yardage.

3 - FInd a hybrid shaft combo that suits your eye and you hit well.  Pick the lofts that gap out nicely between those other two numbers.  Ignore whether it's a 4h or 3h or whatever.  the yardage gaps are what matters.

I just got fit for woods and hybrids (fun).  I now have a 5h and 3h coming that gap out like my previous 2h and 4h.  I'm a bit longer, but not that much.  And the 5H is 20 yards longer than my 5i.  So that number "5" is meaningless - the important point is I got the loft/club that fits my 205-210 point.  And another that's around 235....

The important parts is having clubs you like and can hit that have a nice gap progression.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, djake said:

Question(s)

A) They do not have to

B) They do not have to

C) Yep

1 hour ago, mpb1472 said:

Get a hybrid to fit the yardage you need. Much of the difficulty in them, lies in trying to be iron replacements. Sometimes, some of them the 3 hybrid is much longer than the iron it replaces and you are better off getting a 4 hybrid. In my case, after my 3 wood.

Good advice. A hybrid to fill in the gaps in your set, or help you maximize your yardage gaps at the high end of the set. If a golfer finds they hit their 3 thru 5 irons nearly the same distance consistently, then they probably need to look into some game improvement irons or hybrids.

Don't just assume 3-iron replacement means 3-iron replacement. Know the yardages you want the clubs to go and find a club you like that fits that yardage.

• Informative 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

22 hours ago, inthecup said:

You have not said what your shot shape is with a hybrid.  Many better players have problems with hybrids hooking.

I have found the Callaway Apex hybrid is more of an anti hook club then most.  I would give them a look.

After learning how to hit a hybrid my shot shape was a very consistent soft draw.  That follows my iron play as well, a soft draw.

- Dean

23 hours ago, WUTiger said:

It depends. Hybrids have been around long enough there are two kinds: Traditional - shaft length between woods and numbered irons / and Iron Replacement - made to parallel a model of irons, with shaft lengths and lofts about the same as the numbered irons they would replace.

Mizuno's CLK 2018 hybrids (table below) would be in the traditional camp.

image.png.4dd40461533d89e38096f67ce207f634.png

In comparison, you JPX.900 Forged 5i (24* loft) has a 37.75-inch stock shaft.

One thing: try to get a hybrid with a similar set-up look to your FWs. If your driver and FW have a fairly square face and your hybrids have a lot of offset, chances are you will get left misses with the hybrid.

Most standard hybrids have draw bias, whereas the pro or tour heads have a more square face. You would just have to test the hybrids and see what works.

Another thing to consider is your yardage gaps. How much a gap do you have between your 5i and fairway wood(s)?

They Cobra hybrids are also good; note, however, that the Cobra stock shafts on long clubs are heavier than average, so take this into account. I have R-flex on all my clubs, except for 73-gram Lite Flex shafts in my FlyZ hybrid pair.

I have my Cobra F7+ Driver set with the 12 gram weight to the back, 9.5* if that matters, I consider this more of a neutral setting over a draw basis. To me this is a very square face, but you would know more.  The Cobra F7 5W also feels very square, no offset. 

I tend to have issues when testing/hitting offset clubs.  I actually have a harder time hitting then square on a consistent basis.

Based off of last season, we still have snow on the ground in MN and currently getting more of the white crap as I write this my 5i was the 190 yard club for me, plus or minus 5 yards.

My 5 wood was 210 plus depending on the situation.  With roll out I can press it up to 240 thus I do not bag a 3 wood any longer.  Side note: I really liked the Persimmon 3 woods, after going metal they stopped working for me.

I would like to try the Tour Edge but I am not aware of anyone selling them in the Twin Cities.  I really like the Recoil shafts!  Would you go to a Recoil 110 for a hybrid?

With the Mizuno CLK2018 in a 4 hybrid I should expect that to perform more like a 4i pertaining to distance with a bit more loft?

The Cobra F8 4Hybrid would be hotter then the Mizuno CLK2018??  thus I should compare more the Cobra 5 Hybrid for a 4 iron replacement?  

@WUTiger great information, I always enjoy reading your posts.

- Dean

20 hours ago, djake said:

After learning how to hit a hybrid my shot shape was a very consistent soft draw.  That follows my iron play as well, a soft draw.

Many hybrids are set up for players with slice problems was my point.  Make sure you hit whatever you buy, your soft draw could turn into more.

8 minutes ago, inthecup said:

Many hybrids are set up for players with slice problems was my point.  Make sure you hit whatever you buy, your soft draw could turn into more.

@inthecup you would be correct. Not because of face angle though. Namely because of offset. My hybrid the Tour Edge Exotics CBX is a "leftless" hybrid. Your draw will not turn into a hook.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 2213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!