IGNORED

Closed Stance Benefits

Sam Snead had a closed stance, and was one of the greatest winners of all time.

Thing is, when he closed his stance, his shoulders remained square, as well as his hips. I believe this gave him a slight right hip tilt downward so he could tilt his shoulders to the right because of the flexed right knee.

I also feel he hit a slight pull draw, which was one of the big reasons he was so powerful, especially into the wind. That would cause a low ball flight, with tons of roll. 

A closed stance also fixes the coming over the top a bit. It's not perfect., but I tend to come across the ball a bit (not much) so a closed stance would help me neutralize that path.

It also just feels more natural. It feel natural and comfortable, rather than my normal open stance, which feels restrictive. I can easily turn my hips more on the backswing, which in turn gives me a bit more power. 

I also flare my right foot a bit, instead of keeping it square. I find this happens anyway while closing your stance, but I exaggerate a bit just to make sure I can turn my hips.

Any of you have a closed stance? And what are your thoughts on closed vs. open or square?

I can still come over the top with a closed stance. If im too flat on the backswing i overcomepensate (as many amateurs do) and get too steep on the downswing causing me to come OTT.

Fixing this at the moment with the aid of a swing method i swore i would never use.........case of famous last words.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well i am slightly open with my stance. But my swing comes from the inside not ott. 

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I use a closed stance with my feet and hips because my bones are not 100% right and if I stand with a neutral stance my shoulders are open and I pull the shot. I have found that for me  it is more important to have square shoulders than square hips.

I use a closed stance with my punch shots.

It tends to close the club face, which in turn gives me a lower ball flight, which also gives me more roll.

It works well on windy days, or if I want to run the ball upon the green. . 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I seem to play my best when  aim right and pull the ball back (somewhat like Kucher - but I'm no where as good :whistle:). I also share the OTT move when I get tired and the aiming right seems to help that as well.  Playing Hickories or Vintage clubs, I'm used to the fairly low ball flight.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

• Administrator
On 4/10/2018 at 1:23 AM, Jacktgolf said:

A closed stance also fixes the coming over the top a bit. It's not perfect., but I tend to come across the ball a bit (not much) so a closed stance would help me neutralize that path.

I know a lot of golfers - myself included - who are more likely to swing left given a closed stance. I play best - and hit little draws - with an open stance. My body knows the target is "out there" (to the right slightly) and swings "out" to the target a little.

It also just feels more natural.

:hmm:

To you, maybe.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, iacas said:

I know a lot of golfers - myself included - who are more likely to swing left given a closed stance.

I wondered why that was happening on the range the other day...Not coming over the top. I'll check my stance more often today. Probably more closed than the SLIGHT drop back with my right foot. Thanks, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• 1 year later...

My iron shots have never been great but recently I tried closing my stance (lead foot forward 3" slightly flared out) but keeping shoulders square. In addition I also closed the face but only very slightly. The result was excellent, sweet spot strikes with 8 or 10 consecutive straight shots on the range. Whether or not this is a compensation for a slight out to in swing, I don't know (and don't care!).

To gauge the amount of face closure, I put myself into impact position with the face square, ie weight on lead foot, hips opening, shaft forward but then simply return to address, the face naturally closes slightly... leave it like that and swing. The face is then square at impact.

The main reason I closed my stance was to try to eliminate the shank when using wedges or even up to a 7 or 8. Like many other golfers, my shank was due to my right knee and hip moving toward the ball. I find now if I set up everything all square then pull back my trail foot by 2" or 3", my shots are solid, straight, and the shank has gone. The fear of standing on a par 3 or a short wedge in on a par 5,  knowing a shank is imminent has disappeared.

This works simply because I've given my trail hip further to travel toward the ball and the hosel never gets as far as the ball.

I've had lessons on the shank but no-one has suggested just pulling back the trail foot. Try it, it works!

I love this topic. I have had several students tell me that nobody before me has ever suggested pulling the trail foot back a little and swing on your foot line. It really does work for those who have that outside to in swing path or just guys who want to hit more of a draw with just a subtle change. I think the thing for golfers is the mentality of "aiming right". It tends to make them pull the club harder to the left causing an even harder slice. I find that when I get students to truly commit to the shot they have the desired results. I also use this tactic to produce a draw because I am really tall and skinny and have a steep swing plane.

Dave 

Amazing Golf Ball Whacker Guy

titleist.png

Wow.  I have a closed stance, but it would not be my first impulse to call it that.  Instead, I would tell you that I tend to pull and slightly draw the ball with every club when I am hitting well.  Even a pitch or a chip.  Everything goes a few degrees right for me.

When I am not hitting my best, I get maybe 10-15% less distance and a fade.  So I want the closed stance.

• 2 weeks later...

BlackSale

Interesting comments you make. I've persuaded a couple of guys (who shank) to pull back their trail foot a little. One said it made him either push the ball or draw too much. The important thing is that shoulders must stay square. The only time I shank now (rarely) is if I forget to set up with trail foot back a little. 

Golf is all about physics. If by doing the above, the hip and knee have further to travel towards the ball and the hosel just doesn't get chance to reach the ball because the right hip and knee at setup are already further from the ball by about 1 or 2 inches.  This increased travel distance is critical and is the difference between hitting the hosel or the sweet spot. (for me anyway!) 

I've had the shanks for two years with lessons from three professionals and what I worked out for myself is the only thing that has consistently worked! 

Happy days! 

• iacas changed the title to Closed Stance Benefits
  • 2 years later...

Okay old subject I know but I’ve found closing my stance, shoulders, hips etc. has benefited me greatly with all my clubs. I’m a 2 hip replacement guy that made me try an extreme to get a relief off my hips. Both feet are flared  with everything listed above about 20 degree. I do not consciously try to shift weight and keep the weight more on front foot. (I’m sure it shifts somewhat). I take the club back on a conventional  line using my lead shoulder to start the swing, and bring the club back inside . The ball goes straight with a slight draw . In all this the fun is back in the game. The ball pops off the club and flies very straight. 

Sam Snead had a closed stance, and was one of the greatest winners of all time.

Thing is, when he closed his stance, his shoulders remained square, as well as his hips. I believe this gave him a slight right hip tilt downward so he could tilt his shoulders to the right because of the flexed right knee.

I also feel he hit a slight pull draw, which was one of the big reasons he was so powerful, especially into the wind. That would cause a low ball flight, with tons of roll. 

It also just feels more natural. It feel natural and comfortable, rather than my normal open stance, which feels restrictive. I can easily turn my hips more on the backswing, which in turn gives me a bit more power. 

I also flare my right foot a bit, instead of keeping it square. I find this happens anyway while closing your stance, but I exaggerate a bit just to make sure I can turn my hips.

Any of you have a closed stance? And what are your thoughts on closed vs. open or square?

I suggest you watch some Jim Venetos golf YouTube videos. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge